MPs reject 'right to die' law

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

MPs reject 'right to die' law

Postby Trina » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:37 pm

MPs have rejected plans for a right to die in England and Wales in their first vote on the issue in almost 20 years.

In a free vote in the Commons, 118 MPs were in favour and 330 against plans to allow some terminally ill adults to end their lives with medical supervision.

In a passionate debate, some argued the plans allowed a "dignified and peaceful death" while others said they were "totally unacceptable".

Pro-assisted dying campaigners said the result showed MPs were out of touch.

Under the proposals, people with fewer than six months to live could have been prescribed a lethal dose of drugs, which they had to be able to take themselves. Two doctors and a High Court judge would have needed to approve each case.

Dr Peter Saunders, campaign director of Care Not Killing, welcomed the rejection of the legislation, saying the current law existed to protect those who were sick, elderly, depressed or disabled.

He said: "It protects those who have no voice against exploitation and coercion, it acts as a powerful deterrent to would-be abusers and does not need changing."

But Sarah Wootton, the chief executive of Dignity in Dying, said it was an "outrage" that MPs had gone against the views of the majority of the public who supported the bill.

She added that "dying people deserve better".
Analysis

By James Gallagher, health editor BBC News website

A series of high profile and emotionally charged right-to-die cases have appeared in the courts.

But the response from judges has been clear. As Lord Justice Toulson ruled in the case of Tony Nicklinson: "These are matters for Parliament to decide."

Now the message from politicians has been an overwhelming rejection of the right to die.

And opinion is not shifting - 74% of MPs voted against this bill compared with 72% back in 1997.

The emphatic nature of the result would suggest politicians are unlikely to discuss this again soon.

Campaigners will regroup and point to their own polls showing 82% of the public back assisted dying and calls for change may yet intensify with an ageing population.

One thing is certain - the intense pressure on the courts and politicians is not going away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34208624

This really annoys me. People who are terminally ill are just supposed to suffer. When they want to end it.

I understand not allowing it to depressed people for example. But not everyone can be put in one category.

I've seen quite a few cases over the years where people have gone to court for the right to die. They are sane, terminally ill and in pain. The verdict was no.

Is it me or does it sound ridiculous? You have to go to court to apply for you to end your life. (Otherwise someone will be in trouble for helping).
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Re: MPs reject 'right to die' law

Postby 22-0 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:44 pm

could always do it your self? what are they gonna do sue you?
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby TOP » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:48 pm

22-0 wrote:could always do it your self? what are they gonna do sue you?

Can't just order stuff like Thiopental on Amazon
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Trina » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:51 pm

That's why I said the help. Someone who is terminally ill would need a little help.

The post I made was based on people who had less than 6 months to live.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby 22-0 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:19 pm

im not gonna discuss ways to kill your self but... yeah there are other painless ways that dont require help.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:23 pm

22-0 wrote:im not gonna discuss ways to kill your self but... yeah there are other painless ways that dont require help.

What if you're not able-bodied enough to do so?
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:27 pm

Excellent decision by the MPs here.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:24 pm

Sad day, this government pretends they support the idea of 'personal responsibilty' but they don't really mean it.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:33 pm

Not sure where I stand on this. I can see both points of view. I can't even revert to my default setting of just going by what I'd do if I was in the situation. I mean the way I feel right now I'd say I'd never want to die and let nature take its course but should God forbid I get a terminal illness and it's a painful SOB then I might change my mind.

I do think that depressed people shouldn't be given the right.

If I had to answer I'd want to take the pain away of a loved one but it's a decision that can't be taken lightly.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Apollo » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:38 am

If the Government allows people to kill themselves, who are they going to collect taxes from?

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby CukiZeGerman » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:28 am

Apollo wrote:If the Government allows people to kill themselves, who are they going to collect taxes from?

The dead.
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Héctor24 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:47 am

whats puzzling is you cant choose to take your own life but you're well within your means to take another persons life via abortion. Dont really mind assisting dieing being illegal tbh. If you want to kill yourself do it yourself or even better get one of your family members to do it. A doctors responsibility isnt to bring about death.
Héctor24
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:52 am

There's also the little matter of this potentially increasing actual suicide rates, as some who may be thinking of committing suicide for other reasons, seeing this as an enabling factor
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby TOP » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:37 am

GoonerAlexis wrote:There's also the little matter of this potentially increasing actual suicide rates, as some who may be thinking of committing suicide for other reasons, seeing this as an enabling factor

Euthanasia is not a doctor coming over to every random depressed person and kill him...

Dont really mind assisting dieing being illegal tbh. If you want to kill yourself do it yourself or even better get one of your family members to do it.

What's this for bs. Most of the time people in that position aren't physically capable to do so. Let alone asking a relative to commit murder.

im not gonna discuss ways to kill your self but... yeah there are other painless ways that dont require help.

Foolproof? Such as?
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:46 am

Asking a relative is a stupid idea, tbh, they'll be charged for murder

@TOP, I know it's not that, however, suicides often occur together in clusters, because people seeing news of other people committing suicide helps them go over the line and commit it, there are numerous studies on this. A news like this, assisted dying, being passed could be seen as some as enabling them to go over the line, so to speak, and do it themselves
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to The Big Debate