Wayne Rooney becomes England's record goalscorer

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Wayne Rooney becomes England's record goalscorer

Postby Schlandi » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:25 am

Est83 wrote:Giroud > Rooney

:hiding:

192cm > 176cm

Seems legit :sneaky2:

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Tony Montana » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:32 am

Giroud is better goal scorer than Rooney is now

scored more goals two seasons ago, last season....will probably score more this season as well
WENGER OUT!
Tony Montana
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Cripps » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:34 am

Rooney left Everton far too soon. f***ked his career up. Should've stayed there for at least another season after Euro 2004 and be the big dog in a shit team before moving to a bigger club where he's never fulfilled his potential.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Trequartista » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:36 am

Cripps wrote:Look at the midfield then and look at them now. Even the defence.

England starting XI for Rooney's 1st international goal in 2003:

James
Neville - Terry - Campbell - Cole
Beckham - Lampard - Butt - Hargreaves
Owen - Rooney

England starting XI for Rooney's 50th international goal in 2015:

Hart
Clyne - Cahill - Smalling - Shaw
Milner - Shelvey - Delph
Chambo - Rooney - Sterling

All inferior players, apart from Hart who is better than James. Even Rooney is an inferior version of himself. Sterling is very talented, but has a long way to go to fulfil his potential and get himself in the 2003 team, in my opinion.
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Tony Montana » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:37 am

Cripps wrote:Rooney left Everton far too soon. f***ked his career up. Should've stayed there for at least another season after Euro 2004 and be the big dog in a shit team before moving to a bigger club where he's never fulfilled his potential.

he's won everything in club football...scored over 300 goals in his career...and was for some time a top 5 player in the world...he fulfilled his potential alright.

he just burned out quicker.
WENGER OUT!
Tony Montana
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby JordanTheGunner » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:54 am

Trequartista wrote:
JordanTheGunner wrote:
Trequartista wrote:I think you have a point the Angelito, but at 29 I think Rooney could definitely continue playing for England for another 3 years, at the absolute minimum. Possibly as much as 5. I expect him to add a very significant tally to his total which will make it very hard to surpass.

Who do you guys see that could possibly mount a challenge? Harry Kane might be some people's candidate, but by his age Rooney had already scored 14 goals for England, he's got just 3. Welbeck has a great scoring record for England, and he's still quite young, but this injury might put paid to that, unfortunately. Either way, I don't see a challenge coming any time soon.

I think Rooney was helped by his early years, he was a first teamer at 16 and cost £26m at 18. He was scoring for fun back, had bags of energy and knew where he was needed, up top as we had Gerrard, Beckham etc in midfield.

Although his goals per game record isn't the best, especially minus the 6 penos he's scored it defo doesn't compare to Jimmy Greaves, Lineker or even Owen.

Fantastic achievement though and I can't see no one beating it for quite some time.

Yeah, true. When you look at the team Rooney had around him when he came into the side, An absolutely top-draw defence of Neville, Terry, Campbell, Cole and a midfield that could call of the likes of Beckham, Hargreaves, Lampard, Gerrard, and Scholes, and Micheal Owen to support him upfront. He's now attempting to carry a team which is embarrassing in comparison.

Yes his energy was utilised up top, kind of like what United had planned until the realised they lack creativity.
Last edited by JordanTheGunner on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Est83 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:54 am

I think it looked as though he left at the right time. There was nothing in his first two seasons at United to suggest otherwise. The European debut with that hattrick, the volleys. He played with freedom, he played as the deeper of two striker that would drop off to make shit happen, but still have the ability to spank it from anywhere or find the odd tap in.

The one striker formations might be the problem. It's all well and good that he can fill the number 10 spot and create, as he is more technically gifted than most strikers. But he's not a number 10 by nature... the man's an SS imo.

The final they lost to Barcelona, I was convinced they would win. Barca had injuries and had to play Puyol at RB. Taking their oldest and most experience CB our of position seemed crazy to me. Rooney would do better centrally, and naturally Ronaldo would have skinned Puyol alive on the flanks. But instead Rooney played left wing, and a very selfish Ronaldo played as the lone striker. Ronaldo was the outlet, and he led every counter by collecting the ball near his box, and trying to run the whole pitch... gotta love that team mentality. Anyway, my point, why was Rooney used wide so often? It's happened a lot since. Just because someone's versatile doesn't mean you shouldn't play them in their best position.

In the 4-3-3, and then the 4-2-3-1, Rooney's been used in more positions than a leading actress in a gangbang! He's got the role up top now that van Pussy isn't there, and United were still after a striker this summer.

You want the best out of Rooney, play him in a two-striker formation.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Santi » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:58 am

Because when he plays striker he's crap now so they use his strengths (running a lot) on the wing
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:05 am

Football died a little bit when teams stopped playing 2 upfront.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Trequartista » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:16 am

Cripps wrote:Football died a little bit when teams stopped playing 2 upfront.

People said the same when teams started playing with more than 2 defenders...
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby JordanTheGunner » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:16 am

Cripps wrote:Football died a little bit when teams stopped playing 2 upfront.

It's still very alive but numbers are needed in midfield so usually one of the strikers will play deeper than the other.

Not to mention the lack of quality strikers available ;)
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby starmandb » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:43 pm

Est83 wrote:Remember the Rooney that smashed in volleys from 30 yards?

Seems like a totally different player. They talk about how he's changed into more of a number 10, but he's nothing compared to the best number 10s out there. He should play as one of two strikers, like so many others.

I remember him scoring one v Newcastle in 2005 and a half volley v west ham
That's the thing people seem to take any strike from distance as a volley
If it bounces, it's a half volley
Just like ramsey v galatasary last season
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Est83 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:22 pm

Forgive the error there starman, the memory's faded somewhat... we don't all have historical databases for brains :dizzy:

There were far more wonder strikes from distance though, can you confirm that?

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby starmandb » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:25 am

Est83 wrote:Forgive the error there starman, the memory's faded somewhat... we don't all have historical databases for brains :dizzy:

There were far more wonder strikes from distance though, can you confirm that?

I can
We was on the receiving end of one of them when he was only a young shriek alike looking c***
starmandb

Postby jmiles10 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:36 pm

Cripps wrote:Rooney left Everton far too soon. f***ked his career up. Should've stayed there for at least another season after Euro 2004 and be the big dog in a shit team before moving to a bigger club where he's never fulfilled his potential.

Move was fine. Just in comparison to Ronaldo he lacks the will and discipline. Ronaldo wouldn't touch alcohol, eat shit food and he is a gym freak. Plus a perfectionist he would practice things until he got perfect. If Rooney had that he might have become a great he still could tbf of he does something big for England but he could have been so good that he didn't need England success for all time greatness.
jmiles10
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football