Greatest rapper

Re: Greatest rapper

Postby Sims » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:23 pm

Prefer Biggie over Tupac but neither are amazing. Suicidal Thoughts is by far his best track.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:44 pm

Sims wrote:Prefer Biggie over Tupac but neither are amazing. Suicidal Thoughts is by far his best track.

Are you taking the piss?

:dizzy:
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Zenith » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:48 pm

KG3 wrote:All time:
1. Kanye
2. 50 Cent
3. Jay-Z

Currently:
1. J Cole
2. kendrick Lamar
3. Joey Bada$$

fiddy lol

Wouldn't make my top fiddy

He was a good prospect pre-fame but actually would go straight in my top 10 list of rappers who got rich by releasing absolute garbage with Soulja Boy topping the list with Lil Wayne as close second

Lyrically and poetically there are easily a few k better rappers than 50 walking this very planet

Eastern Europe has a ridiculous amount of quality rappers out there but they don't rap in their mother tongue, so their stuff stays within the borders
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Sims » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:57 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Sims wrote:Prefer Biggie over Tupac but neither are amazing. Suicidal Thoughts is by far his best track.

Are you taking the piss?

Not a big fan of either tbh, both were good but vastly overrated once they died. My favourite project from either is the mash-up someone made with Biggie x The xx:

Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Zedie » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:32 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Not much love for Biggie in here, easily top 3 of all time.

He had the greatest flow of all time.

Dont know man, big pun had a legendary flow. There were bars that he rapped that only he could rap.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:37 pm

Zedie wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:Not much love for Biggie in here, easily top 3 of all time.

He had the greatest flow of all time.

Dont know man, big pun had a legendary flow. There were bars that he rapped that only he could rap.

Biggie was more versatile and his flow was effortless. By far the best, Big L 2nd best imo - although I do like Pun too, especially Twinz.

Biggie's flow on Notorious Thugs >>
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby StLGooner » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:50 pm

So is there a difference to anyone else on here between being a good MC/Lyricist, and being a good rapper, or someone who just produces catchy songs? To me there is, and that is how I rate my rappers, by their lyrical ability, not by the sound of the overall song. Because if I went by just the song and not the lyrical ability, then my list would be different.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:50 pm

StLGooner wrote:So is there a difference to anyone else on here between being a good MC/Lyricist, and being a good rapper, or someone who just produces catchy songs? To me there is, and that is how I rate my rappers, by their lyrical ability, not by the sound of the overall song. Because if I went by just the song and not the lyrical ability, then my list would be different.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Greatest rapper

Postby jules_w » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:46 pm

Sims wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

Are you taking the piss?

Not a big fan of either tbh, both were good but vastly overrated once they died. My favourite project from either is the mash-up someone made with Biggie x The xx:

Hard thing to say. Assuming you're only stating this after having listened to all of their albums, les gouts et les couleurs ont ne discute pas. If not , please enlighten yourself :)
Last edited by jules_w on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
jules_w
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby jules_w » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:51 pm

StLGooner wrote:So is there a difference to anyone else on here between being a good MC/Lyricist, and being a good rapper, or someone who just produces catchy songs? To me there is, and that is how I rate my rappers, by their lyrical ability, not by the sound of the overall song. Because if I went by just the song and not the lyrical ability, then my list would be different.

Sure there is. That's why to me , Kanye and Tupac shine most as a rapper,MC,lyricist and everything else combined. Nas, Talib Kweli and Q-tip are up there as well. But there are many rappers I really like but don't really feel their lyrics like Biggie and Wu-tang , or don't like their songs but do feel their lyrics like Eminem.
jules_w
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Est83 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:51 am

Interesting.

As an artist you need to take the whole package in my opinion.

Actually "rating" the artist is different though. When artists get rated, people tend to pick out certain elements, and ignore all the shit they do... "Eminem's my favourite because of his multi syllable rhyming".... Yea... But.... apart from being a massive dick, the man's lost all originality, bitches over his tracks like it's some kind of therapy session, but not in a profound philosophical way where people can relate, just in a "I'm a grown man but I still want to cry about it, and I want all you mother f***ers to know my shit" kinda way. In the mainstream side of the genre he's known for being this multi-syllable king, but others have done it better... way better. The man's lyrics suffer as a result of trying to push through all this multi-syllable shit. It's great that he can put almost anything into lyrics, but half the time he's way too literal... It's tacky! As intricate as he makes it, it's still just lyrics for dumb people.

.... and he used to be so good :(

Nas is one of the best to ever do it, and one of the most influential in so many ways. Not just content, but lyrical style, voice, flow, delivery, originality etc........ but the man's only got one album worth having in my opinion. He's great on every album though, and this is another issue I have with separating all the elements and rating them separately. Nas is great, but it's been a whie since he's been a great artist.

Skills are skills, but great artists make great albums.... theyre all entitled to a flop from time to time though ;)

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby StLGooner » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:31 pm

Est83 wrote:Interesting.

As an artist you need to take the whole package in my opinion.

Actually "rating" the artist is different though. When artists get rated, people tend to pick out certain elements, and ignore all the shit they do... "Eminem's my favourite because of his multi syllable rhyming".... Yea... But.... apart from being a massive dick, the man's lost all originality, bitches over his tracks like it's some kind of therapy session, but not in a profound philosophical way where people can relate, just in a "I'm a grown man but I still want to cry about it, and I want all you mother f***ers to know my shit" kinda way. In the mainstream side of the genre he's known for being this multi-syllable king, but others have done it better... way better. The man's lyrics suffer as a result of trying to push through all this multi-syllable shit. It's great that he can put almost anything into lyrics, but half the time he's way too literal... It's tacky! As intricate as he makes it, it's still just lyrics for dumb people.

.... and he used to be so good :(

Nas is one of the best to ever do it, and one of the most influential in so many ways. Not just content, but lyrical style, voice, flow, delivery, originality etc........ but the man's only got one album worth having in my opinion. He's great on every album though, and this is another issue I have with separating all the elements and rating them separately. Nas is great, but it's been a whie since he's been a great artist.

Skills are skills, but great artists make great albums.... theyre all entitled to a flop from time to time though ;)

I agree with all of that except about Eminem. I agree that some of his songs tend to be a little whiney at times and it gets old, kind of like one of my beefs with Jay Z, all he cares to talk about mostly is setting trends, which gets old, but I just think Em's skill is always present no matter what he really raps about and I don't think many can match that. I guess in a way I try to imitate his style myself and obviously it's very hard to do, so I think I kind of rate MC's like that, if I can rap almost as good as them then they most likely aren't a very good MC cause I'm shit!!

Spot on about Nas though. I think obviously Illmatic was the breakout album and considered his best, but I think one other was pretty good, but can't remember what it was called now, the one that had "One Mic" on it, and the diss song about Jay Z.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zedie » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:43 pm

jules_w wrote:

Sure there is. That's why to me , Kanye and Tupac shine most as a rapper,MC,lyricist and everything else combined. Nas, Talib Kweli and Q-tip are up there as well. But there are many rappers I really like but don't really feel their lyrics like Biggie and Wu-tang , or don't like their songs but do feel their lyrics like Eminem.

Think I'm bleeding in my chest directly due to this statement.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:51 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Spot on about Nas though. I think obviously Illmatic was the breakout album and considered his best, but I think one other was pretty good, but can't remember what it was called now, the one that had "One Mic" on it, and the diss song about Jay Z.

Stillmatic. A classic indeed.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby StLGooner » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:52 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

Stillmatic. A classic indeed.

Cheers buddy!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Music