Football as a Non-Contact Sport

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Football as a Non-Contact Sport

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:27 am

Listening to BT Sport's referee's explaination of why David Luiz had to be sent off it really does feel as if last night was officially the night football became a non-contact sport.

https://www.givemesport.com/1645897-wol ... -exreferee

https://twitter.com/adrianjclarke/statu ... 26471?s=19

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? What does it mean for defenders? Am I overreacting? What next in the rule changes which seem to be made more for entertainment value than for the good of the game.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Re: Football as a Non-Contact Sport

Postby Nuggets » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:41 am

It's heading that way, the way things are going we will see Blow Football games lol FFS what is the sport of football coming too, so we will soon be playing PC football lol
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby VCC » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:15 am

Rules were meant to change to stop divers also VAR was meant to be the definitive line but still we see strikers diving appealing to referees only to go to VzAR if no penalty you seldom see strikers getting a yellow for diving.
And the takle last week from man u player from behind late down the calf of xhaka goes un mentioned
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Phil71 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:31 am

My view is that a foul is a foul whether it be accidental or not, and so it should be a penalty.

However there should be no red or yellow card unless it's the sort of foul that would normally result in either one.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:35 am

Phil71 wrote:My view is that a foul is a foul whether it be accidental or not, and so it should be a penalty.

However there should be no red or yellow card unless it's the sort of foul that would normally result in either one.
I just think if he had no intention of making contact then he should be allowed to get close to try and put him off. Otherwise if a player is through on goal the defenders would have to just leave him to it.

Also, what's to stop forwards leaving a trailing leg in the hope that the defender accidentally catches it?!
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:55 am

Tony Adams wrote:
Phil71 wrote:My view is that a foul is a foul whether it be accidental or not, and so it should be a penalty.

I just think if he had no intention of making contact then he should be allowed to get close to try and put him off. Otherwise if a player is through on goal the defenders would have to just leave him to it.

Also, what's to stop forwards leaving a trailing leg in the hope that the defender accidentally catches it?!

They do that already. It's a skill to run across the path of a defender who's chasing you so that he runs into the back of you. And if he does, under the rules of the game it's a foul.

If I'm running, and in the process of trying to put me off you trip me up it's a foul. It doesn't matter if you say you didn't mean to do it.

It's the red card that annoys me. The issuing of it more or less condemns the recipient's team to losing the whole match. For one fairly innocuous incident.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Nuggets » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:13 am

VCC wrote:Rules were meant to change to stop divers also VAR was meant to be the definitive line but still we see strikers diving appealing to referees only to go to VzAR if no penalty you seldom see strikers getting a yellow for diving.
And the takle last week from man u player from behind late down the calf of xhaka goes un mentioned

Yea strange that isn't it. :rolleyes:
Nuggets

Postby starmandb » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:00 pm

I agree
If that had been an arsenal player running in on goal I would have absolutely expected a penalty
Regardless of weather it was intended or not
The change I believe should be with the sending off and suspension
It has gotten ridiculous the amount of red cards now
Technology should be used for the blatantly obvious other than that you go with refs call
If they are so f***ing keen on getting everything spot on why was’nt the whistle blown when the extra 2 mins was up
Nothing happened for further time to be added on
All that ‘let’s see how an attack pans out is all bollocks)
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:50 pm

Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone