football League considers scrapping draws

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

football League considers scrapping draws

Postby Fordy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:44 am

The Football League board is to consider a proposal to scrap draws and decide matches by penalty shoot-outs.

The idea will be discussed by Football League chairmen and chief executives at a board meeting on Thursday.

No timescale has been given for implementing the change if the chairmen go ahead with the proposal.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger said: "I saw this in my first year managing in Japan - it did not have spectacular results."

He added: "In extra-time they played a sudden death goal and if no-one scored they had penalties.

"The draw is part of the culture of the game and I would not like that to disappear."

John S - BBC Sport
The idea was originally put forward in the recent Football League Fans Survey.

There are currently two proposals to be considered - a traditional penalty shoot-out or where a player would have eight seconds to try and score after receiving the ball on the half-way line.

Bournemouth boss Kevin Bond told the Daily Echo newspaper said: "Why can't we just have a draw?"

"I don't agree with it because I think it's too much of a radical change.

"I'm very open-minded and I think certain laws of the game need to move with the times but that would be too much of a drastic measure."
Fordy

Postby CLS » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:00 am

I WOULD RATHER SEE A NEW POINTS SYSTEM WERE A GOAL OUTSIDE THE 16 YARD BOX IS WORTH 2 POINTS INSTEAD OF ONE,
WE WOULD THEN HAVE LESS DRAWS ANYWAY
MORE CRACKING GOALS FROM OUTSIDE THE BOX
AND MORE DRAMTIC FINISHES TO EVERYGAME

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY ARSENAL WOULD NOT TRY TO WALK THE BALL INTO THE NET :D
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:35 am

TBH im not in favour of this at all, as much as it would benefit Arsenal, with fixture congestion ect.

If for instance a coca-cola league 1/2 club or even Championship for that matter, was drawn against a top prem team & drew, which led to a replay, the amount of revenue that would be lost by scrapping replays would be astronomical especailly for lower league clubs, who for them, replays generate alot of money.

I dont think a new points system would work either, its a bit unfair but one thing i would like scrapped is the away goal rule.;)
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Return to Domestic Football