foreign player quota...

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

foreign player quota...

Postby RosickyRox!! » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:02 am

Quotas restricting the number of foreign players in the Premier League cannot be ruled out, the FA's new chairman has exclusively told Sky News.

Lord Triesman, who is worried about the future of the national side, insisted "something has to be done" about the opportunities for English-born players.

And the former foreign office minister has pledged to act with "urgency".

The peer has spoken out in a week when four English clubs have qualified for the quarter finals of the Champions League - but largely with foreign players.

It also comes against the backdrop of the England team failing to qualify for this summer's European Championships.

so my local newspaper was saying tht they've restricted it to 6 foreign players per club...umm ALLL of our players are foreign(bar theo walcott)....if this rule gets passed arsenal will be screwed... who will wenger keep?
RosickyRox!!
Michael Thomas

Re: foreign player quota...

Postby rogerthornhill » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:26 am

Quotas for foreign players are very unlikely to be brought in unless there are some major changes in EU laws. Quite simply they would be illegal.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rachel83 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:38 pm

rogerthornhill wrote:Quite simply they would be illegal.

I don't know if it would be illegal. I know the EU and the US laws are different, but MLS actually has a foreign player quota. You can only have 8 foreigners per team.

My point is, a foreign player quota isn't unheard of, but it would definitely suck for the Premiership, seeing as English teams are much more established than MLS teams (who are all still babies in the world of football) and already have more foreigners.

Please explain to me, the stupid American, how it would be illegal?
rachel83
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby MissArsenal » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:42 pm

I've heard this information for a long time ago now.

I do not agree with this law. But as I'm not english, I see this in a different view. I mean PL and other european championship aren't national teams...This law would not be a good thing for Arsenal, we all know that, but we also can't be selfish about english players.

I think there is a problem with the academy. There are few english hopes. The Arsenal has few big futur talents, and Wenger has to take young players from everywhere...

As you said it Roger, it will be illegal. It is necessary to accept the idea which we live in Europe, which the persons as the possessions can circulate and work freely and this law Blatter (and Platini of course) want to apply will be unconstitutional.
He has to find something other...
MissArsenal
Liam Brady

Postby SE13 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:56 pm

rachel83 wrote:Please explain to me, the stupid American, how it would be illegal?

Put fairly simply, it would be racism.

MissArsenal also gives a good summary.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby rachel83 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:00 pm

SE13 wrote:
rachel83 wrote:Please explain to me, the stupid American, how it would be illegal?

Good point. I wasn't even thinking that the EU countries are sort of like our states. It would be like saying someone from California can't play on a team in Texas, or something like that?
rachel83
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby MissArsenal » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:09 pm

rachel83 wrote:
SE13 wrote:

Good point. I wasn't even thinking that the EU countries are sort of like our states. It would be like saying someone from California can't play on a team in Texas, or something like that?

Yes it'd be that. I agree, this is a sort of racism...
MissArsenal
Liam Brady

Postby rachel83 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:15 pm

MissArsenal wrote:
rachel83 wrote:
SE13 wrote:

Yes it'd be that. I agree, this is a sort of racism...

I understand now and agree. Sorry for my ignorance...I haven't left the country in almost 2 years, so my IQ has dropped rather significantly :lol:
rachel83
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:16 pm

Well, we are all seperate Countries, with our own languages and own rules. However The EU have certain legislations in place, which includes the freedom for people to work in other Countries than their own, which partly explains why we have such a huge volume of Eastern Block workers over here.

England is a very multi-cultured society, so all are accepted from whatever walk of life. The same applies to jobs, they can't just turn around and give work to Muslims or Jews or whatever, because it's racism. If it applies to jobs, and football is a job, then there is no way that UEFA nor FIFA can put these moves into place.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Leody » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:04 pm

Illegal or not, it would be a horrible decision for the league to restrict what players are allowed to play in it. People watch the EPL because it is one of the most entertaining leagues in the world. If you restrict it, the quality of the play will not be the same imo... Also, countries that have their players removed will not be as interested in the league anymore I wouldn't think. For example, do you think people in Togo would give a toss about the EPL if Adebayor weren't playing in it? They do now... Get rid of him and you lose some of the worldwide appeal the league has now.

Simply put, not a good idea imo :naughty:
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby arseman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:19 pm

Same old thing, while the real issues are being ignored.
If this does goes through, England can say goodbye to their four places in the Champions League, after a few years.
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby rogerthornhill » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:22 pm

I'm perfectly content to see lots of foreign players in the Premier League and they most certainly have raised the standard of our top-flight football. But I do have some sympathy with all those associated with the English team because the current situation is having a detrimental effect on the England XI. As things are I don't see how anything can be done about that, I certainly wouldn't want to see the introduction of any type of quota system.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby arseman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:27 pm

rogerthornhill wrote:As things are I don't see how anything can be done about that, I certainly wouldn't want to see the introduction of any type of quota system.

Change the mentality of English players? Make them realize that it takes more than just one good season to become a fine player? Make them learn that they have to prove themselves worthy of a first team place at a top club instead of believing that they have a god-given right to start every game?

I could think of some more.
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby rachel83 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:29 pm

rogerthornhill wrote:I'm perfectly content to see lots of foreign players in the Premier League and they most certainly have raised the standard of our top-flight football. But I do have some sympathy with all those associated with the English team because the current situation is having a detrimental effect on the England XI. As things are I don't see how anything can be done about that, I certainly wouldn't want to see the introduction of any type of quota system.

This is something I was going to bring up before, but didn't:
Can you imagine every team in England relying solely on English players? I think the level of play in the league, and even for the England XI, would suffer. Correct me again if I'm wrong (I've been wrong a lot today... the reason I usually keep my mouth shut about stuff I don't know enough about :embarassed: )
rachel83
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rogerthornhill » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:37 pm

rachel83 wrote:This is something I was going to bring up before, but didn't:
Can you imagine every team in England relying solely on English players?
Yes I can imagine that but I have to tell you that I might not want to pay to see it. :biggrin:
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Next

Return to Domestic Football