foreign player quota...

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: foreign player quota...

Postby MissArsenal » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:42 pm

In fact this project of quota has been fed by the elimination of England in the Euro 2008 (remeber what said Ferguson, the Federation,...)... I read that many English people had complained about foreigners' large number in the Premier League, that for them is a problem to raise young english hopes.

Blatter uses as argument to restore a national identity, it's clearly a racism.

I agree with Arseman, what is healthy with this current system it is the competition, that urges the English players to fight to establish the first team.

EDIT: And sorry for my english :embarassed:
Last edited by MissArsenal on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissArsenal
Liam Brady

Postby rachel83 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:52 pm

rogerthornhill wrote:
rachel83 wrote:This is something I was going to bring up before, but didn't:
Can you imagine every team in England relying solely on English players?
Yes I can imagine that but I have to tell you that I might not want to pay to see it. :biggrin:

Just thinking because I'm bored...
Do you think it would be detrimental to the English National team? I mean, I imagine several would leave for leagues where they could play both with and against foreign players, but it's definitely an interesting thought.
rachel83
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Leody » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:25 pm

I really can't understand how having foreign players in the league is detrimental to the English national team...

If you've ever played sports you know that playing against better competition makes you a better player... So having the best players from all around the world should make the English players playing in England better than they would be w/o them. Now, granted there will be fewer English players to draw from for the national team as a result of having more foreign players, but the players that are drawn from for the national team should be BETTER than if the foreign players weren't are around. This does make one assumption though, that the foreign players are playing in the league because they are better players... With the inflated cost some of the young English talent that may not always be the case. Some clubs may have turned to the foreign market in order to get players on the cheap, not just for better talent.

Either way you want to look at it, I really don't think that the struggles of the English national team have anything to do with the way the domestic league is run. What I think is the problem is the English players themselves. They seem to have an arrogance about them and a sense of entitlement. They remind me of the the USA basketball team over the last few years. The USA basketball team is w/o a doubt the most talented in the world. However, they thought that they could just show up and they would win everything. Over the last few years they have found out the hard way that is not the case. England thought they could just show up against teams like Macedonia and walk to a win. Didn't happen though... THAT is what cost them. That has nothing to do with there being foreigners in the EPL.

According to my calculations there are 76 foreign players on the books at the top 5 clubs in Italy. They won the world cup 2 years ago and finished top of their group for Euro 2008. Foreign players don't seem to be holding them back much.

The foreign players are not the root of the problem for the English national team. The problems with English football come down to youth development and coach development. Another problem is England is a well developed, intelligent and wealthy nation. Most star athletes do not come from wealthy well to do backgrounds. Most of the people that make it in the world of sport, do so because they have a pressure on them to succeed and what is a better pressure than being stuck in a life of poverty if you don't? Those sort of people will work insanely hard to get out and if football provides them an opportunity to do so than they will. Look at Brazil for example... the average person living in Brazil makes $6,800 a year... or £3,400 which is 61st in the world. Compared to England where the avg is $38,000, £19,000 and 6th in the world. Kids in Brazil are going to work till they drop because they know football is a way to a better life. Kids growing up England are going to know that if they don't make it in football, they will still have an education and opportunity to make a good living and live a comfortable life. Now I'm not saying this is the case for every kid growing up in each country, but I doubt you hear parents saying to their kids in Brazil "I want you spending more time on your school work than you do on football" as much as you would hear that in England...

Ok, got a bit long winded and more than I wanted to get into on this... but I think you all understand what I'm getting at.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby rogerthornhill » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:41 pm

arseman wrote:Change the mentality of English players? Make them realize that it takes more than just one good season to become a fine player? Make them learn that they have to prove themselves worthy of a first team place at a top club instead of believing that they have a god-given right to start every game?
That's a very good point. I suppose that the people who want quotas (I'm not among those.) would argue that if more places were available to English players then more of them would have a chance to come through and reach a higher standard.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rachel83 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:43 pm

Leody, thanks for actually spitting out what I was trying to get at :biggrin: For some reason I couldn't figure out a way to word it properly so I stuck with the "short but sweet" (and completely incoherent) way of saying it.
rachel83
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Leody » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:46 pm

Haha, not a problem... If going to grad school has taught me one thing, it's how to say in 10,000 words what most people can say in 10. Don't get me wrong it's a good skill to have at times, but I find myself over thinking things alot.

I kid you not, I could probably write a 15 page paper on what the weather was like yesterday in about an hour. :BangHead:
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby rachel83 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:52 pm

Leody wrote:Haha, not a problem... If going to grad school has taught me one thing, it's how to say in 10,000 words what most people can say in 10. Don't get me wrong it's a good skill to have at times, but I find myself over thinking things alot.

I kid you not, I could probably write a 15 page paper on what the weather was like yesterday in about an hour. :BangHead:

:rofll:

My brain gets all foggy sometimes...it's really annoying. One minute I can talk your ear off, and the next I have trouble remembering your name. As you can see, I'm having an extremely foggy day today :cry:
rachel83
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Cheese » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:02 pm

In all honesty i would like to see a few English players in the team but i wouldn't back a foreign player quota.

I believe that's what the current team is missing, that special something that English players like Adams, Dixon, Parlour and Campbell had and brought to the team, something foreign players don't have.

I would only want them if they are good enough not because we need to play 6 English players.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ozgooner » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:06 pm

look how many quality english players are there , surely they are all taken . wenger puts together the best team he can regardless of country of origin . as we all know wenger does not go out and spend massive money on players , prefering to identify young talent and build them into top flight players . he will never spend huge dosh on a bentley for example . forgive my ignorance but is there a top quality , reasonably priced english player that could come into our team and take out a flamini or a hleb or a toure (to name a few). to me it doesn't really bother me that we don't have many english players (then again i'm an aussie) so does it bother you english people ???

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ozgooner » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:10 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:In all honesty i would like to see a few English players in the team but i wouldn't back a foreign player quota.

I believe that's what the current team is missing, that special something that English players like Adams, Dixon, Parlour and Campbell had and brought to the team, something foreign players don't have.

I would only want them if they are good enough not because we need to play 6 English players.

exactly mate , back in the days when we had half of the english national side were people winging about other teams foriegn players percentage or in those days did most teams contain a majority of english players . if that is the case somethiong must have gone horibbly wrong with the youth development

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Leody » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:12 pm

From my experience, I've yet to met an Arsenal supporter who wanted more Englishmen in the team... Yet I've met numerous supporters of other squads that want a quota.

We'll chalk that one up to circumstance. :lol:
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby SuperDumbassman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:41 pm

They can't make the excuse that the English National team is suffering..They've been shit for yonks! The last thing they won was probably before the major influx of foreigners.

I wouldn't want to see some boring shit like Gerrard playing for Arsenal. No way..

If this happened, Manure and Chelsea would have a monopoly over the English players. We'd have to buy the shitter Englishmen like Downing or Bentley. I doubt they'd let us buy Ferdinand or Rooney for any money.
SuperDumbassman
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:22 am

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:02 am

Brexit could be really positive for our football.
I'd like to see tighter quotas on foreign players - max 3 per club.
Not even to do with England, just that we've lost a lot by not having local lads coming through and representing clubs.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Previous

Return to Domestic Football