Graham Poll ....retiring.

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Graham Poll ....retiring.

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sat May 12, 2007 3:38 pm

Courtesy of the Daily Mail

Graham Poll has blown the whistle on his career as the Premiership's top referee by announcing he will retire after taking charge of Sunday's game between Portsmouth and Arsenal.

The controversial Tring official could stay in the game for another six years but has decided to call it a day after a series of controversial incidents.

He is tired of being on the wrong end of a constant barrage of criticism from managers, players and fans who have accused him of spoiling games by hogging the limelight and taking centre stage.

Poll's latest run-in was at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday when he clashed with Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.

It's not the first time the official has had a run-in with the Blues as there was furore after he sent John Terry from the pitch in a 2-1 defeat at Tottenham in November.

Chelsea accused him of claiming they 'needed to be taught a lesson' after he was surrounded by their players after a goal was disallowed in the frenetic London derby.

There was more outrage when the 43-year-old match official took charge of his very next game and flashed a red card at Everton's James McFadden for calling him 'a cheat'.

Spurs were then unhappy with him when he wrongly gave Arsenal two penalties in their 3-0 defeat to Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium in December.

And the Gunners were just as livid when he refused to award two clear spot-kicks in an FA Cup clash with Blackburn before they crashed out of the competition in the replay.

But Poll's biggest blunder was at the World Cup last summer when he only sent off a Croatian defender after showing him a yellow card for a third time.

The massive clanger cost him any chance of being in charge of the World Cup final and he retired from international football.

Referee's boss Keith Hackett has unsuccessfully tried to talk Poll into changing his mind and it is believed he may now be heading for a job in television - possibly with new kids on the block Setanta.

Is anybody else breathing a sigh of relief? :lol:
Wonder which ref will be promoted to the premier league....watch this space. ;)
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Fordy » Sat May 12, 2007 4:03 pm

the world of football is a much better place with out him he is the worst ref i have ever seen
Fordy

Postby rvtheace » Sat May 12, 2007 5:42 pm

Lol, thank goodness for him, must have been horrible being the subject of so much public hatred.
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby left right left » Sat May 12, 2007 8:03 pm

his a prick!!!!
you mess and you get the knocked the f**k out baby!!!!!!
left right left
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby whee » Sat May 12, 2007 10:16 pm

To be honest, I feel quite sorry for the bloke.

There's a lot of blokes who stand in the pbu slating him, week in, week out. If they fancy their chances of doing a better job, get on a course, and f***ing prove it.

I won't say i'm sorry to see him go, but thank you for your service to the game Poll..... many "bigger" men wouldn't.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fordy » Sun May 13, 2007 7:13 am

whee wrote:To be honest, I feel quite sorry for the bloke.

I agree i feel sorry for anyone that takes this long to give up on something they can't do
Fordy

Postby hoot » Wed May 16, 2007 7:40 am

No please don't say that Graham, you love United and give us 3 points every game. boo hoo, boo hoo.
hoot

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed May 16, 2007 11:35 am

hoot wrote:No please don't say that Graham, you love United and give us 3 points every game. boo hoo, boo hoo.

LMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Return to Domestic Football