Mauricio Pochettino, new Arsenal manager?

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Mauricio Pochettino, new Arsenal manager?

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:02 pm

Pochettino hasn't won away from home since January

If thats Emery we'd have lynched him by now.

Emery in his first season finished a point behind Pochettino who had his own team, his own players and had his greatest ever season. This season we have passed them

But but Pochettino is better. Said no one. Ever
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:06 pm

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27250&start=90#p986171

One of my posts from that season.

Every argument you've offered from your side is based on emotions and fallacies.

So, stop crying like a baby after having been proven wrong for the umpteenth time.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:13 pm

Angelito wrote:https://www.goonersworld.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27250&start=90#p986171

Every argument you've offered from your side is based on emotions and fallacies.

So, stop crying like a baby after having been proven wrong for the umpteenth time.

Im sorry, but everything else I said still stands

As ive said to you before, I dont like you slagging posters off while sporting a blue name. I'll call you out for it every time I see it
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Angelito » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:19 pm

UFGN wrote:
Angelito wrote:https://www.goonersworld.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27250&start=90#p986171

As ive said to you before, I dont like you slagging posters off while sporting a blue name. I'll call you out for it every time I see it

Apology accepted.

When I'm proven wrong, I will apologize too. But I'm only dishing it out to those who didn't bother to honor an argument that was backed by logic.

That post wasn't directed at Rockape personally, even if I quoted him, but to the ignorance at display in that post and of Arsenal fans when it comes to appraising a manager (or a player).
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:26 pm

Angelito wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Apology accepted.

When I'm proven wrong, I will apologize too. But I'm only dishing it out to those who didn't bother to honor an argument that was backed by logic.

That post wasn't directed at Rockape personally, even if I quoted him, but to the ignorance at display in that post and of Arsenal fans when it comes to appraising a manager (or a player).

You appear to me to be digging anyone who supported Emery. You must know that the whole "Don" thing was in jest

There are managers I desperately dont want us to end up with, but regardless I will support the next manager whoever they are and whatever their previous record, until such time as my support is proven to be misplaced

Every fan must do the same.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Rockape » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:27 pm

On the basis of your logic Angelito, SAF would have been sacked in the same period that you decided Emery wasn’t good enough. As history has informed us, that would have been a disastrous decision and as we know, he turned it around to become one of the best managers ever.

No one knew what Emery was capable of, but what we did know, was that it wasn’t going to be obvious in the first season, given the cards he was dealt.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:37 pm

UFGN wrote:
Angelito wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Apology accepted.

You appear to me to be digging anyone who supported Emery. You must know that the whole "Don" thing was in jest

There are managers I desperately dont want us to end up with, but regardless I will support the next manager whoever they are and whatever their previous record, until such time as my support is proven to be misplaced

Every fan must do the same.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31932&p=1633905#p1633905

One of my first posts about Unai.

Should tell you all now.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:40 pm

Rockape wrote:On the basis of your logic Angelito, SAF would have been sacked in the same period that you decided Emery wasn’t good enough. As history has informed us, that would have been a disastrous decision and as we know, he turned it around to become one of the best managers ever.

No one knew what Emery was capable of, but what we did know, was that it wasn’t going to be obvious in the first season, given the cards he was dealt.

I wasn't following football then, so don't know how SAF coached then. But I think people get caught up on the time too much. It's not so much about how long he has or hasn't been our coach, it's about how he has coached and the absolutely mind boggling decisions he has made. So keep that in mind, it's not about the timing, it's about his actions. Maybe SAF didn't do well at the start of his Utd tenure, but I would happen a guess he wasn't as idiotic as Unai is now.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:01 pm

Ach wrote:Pochettino hasn't won away from home since January

Emery in his first season finished a point behind Pochettino who had his own team, his own players and had his greatest ever season. This season we have passed them

Wenger won 1 away game in 2018 and a significant contingent of the forum prefer him to Emery.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Rockape » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:23 pm

aniym wrote:

Wenger won 1 away game in 2018 and a significant contingent of the forum prefer him to Emery.
StLGooner wrote:
Rockape wrote:On the basis of your logic Angelito, SAF would have been sacked in the same period that you decided Emery wasn’t good enough. As history has informed us, that would have been a disastrous decision and as we know, he turned it around to become one of the best managers ever.

I wasn't following football then, so don't know how SAF coached then. But I think people get caught up on the time too much. It's not so much about how long he has or hasn't been our coach, it's about how he has coached and the absolutely mind boggling decisions he has made. So keep that in mind, it's not about the timing, it's about his actions. Maybe SAF didn't do well at the start of his Utd tenure, but I would happen a guess he wasn't as idiotic as Unai is now.

Alex Ferguson took Man U to 2nd place in his first season, but due to some ‘mind boggling’ decisions, they finished the second season in 11th place. Can you imagine???

They scraped past Palace in an FA Cup Final replay which kept him in place .....and the rest is history.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:08 pm

aniym wrote:

Yup.

If GW members were a football board, they'd be Arsenal
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:22 pm

I'd take Potch in a heartbeat but he is off the BM no doubt. He did great with a far less talented squad than Emery has.

I was sort of quizzical of it all when Sol came down the road but that turned out very well.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:42 pm

The dumbest possible move would be to take on a manager who a) has never won anything with a better squad than ours b) obviously needs a break.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:42 pm

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:I'd take Potch in a heartbeat but he is off the BM no doubt. He did great with a far less talented squad than Emery has.

I was sort of quizzical of it all when Sol came down the road but that turned out very well.

Poch had one of the best squads in Europe on paper, and some of them have regressed in the last two years

UFGN

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:44 pm

StLGooner wrote:

I was visiting Aberdeen in 1979 when SAF was managing that club and by chance went by a field on the sea shore where he had the side training. I watched for a hour or so, had no idea who SAF was but the man was in total control. He did not allow anyone to slack off, he was strict without being borish and it was obvious the whole team was learning from him. I have no idea how Emery handles training, but he obviously has no clue how to get ideas across if he has any and I doubt he respected by the players. A big concern I had when he was hired was how he mishandled Neymar and crew letting the inmates rule the asylum.

I agree that the manager's first season is a wash until he gets his own players who suit his system. Emery got who he wanted and more.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football