English Premier League ~ 19/20 Season

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Who will win the Premier League?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:23 am

Arsenal
7%
Liverpool
33%
Man City
57%
Chelsea
No votes
Man United
No votes
Tottenham
3%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 30

Re: English Premier League ~ 19/20 Season

Postby Phil71 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:48 am

Angelito wrote:
LMAO wrote:Terrible optics from Levy and Spurs. Shameful from them and Newcastle.

As for the season (including all cup competitions), I'm now fine with voiding the entire thing. We can't cut into next season like UEFA is already trying to do with postponing Euro and CL qualifying.

I think these football folks are underestimating this global pandemic. Covid-19 isn't going away anytime soon. We're looking at 3-6 months before there's progress whether lateral or longitudinal. The entire global scientific community is working on a vaccine or a cure, so we will have something in record time. The catch is that the record time could be as long as 18 months, or as short as 4 months.

Additionally, even if people develop immunity to Corona, nobody would be risking heading into a jam-packed stadium two days later, nor should people assemble in groups. We're talking about 22 players on the pitch and nearly 100 people in and around the stadium. Nah.

I think it will impact the start of next season as well.

This thing has made people so paranoid they'll be avoiding crowded places for a long time to come.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Rockape » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:58 am

Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:
LMAO wrote:Terrible optics from Levy and Spurs. Shameful from them and Newcastle.

As for the season (including all cup competitions), I'm now fine with voiding the entire thing. We can't cut into next season like UEFA is already trying to do with postponing Euro and CL qualifying.

I think these football folks are underestimating this global pandemic. Covid-19 isn't going away anytime soon. We're looking at 3-6 months before there's progress whether lateral or longitudinal. The entire global scientific community is working on a vaccine or a cure, so we will have something in record time. The catch is that the record time could be as long as 18 months, or as short as 4 months.

Additionally, even if people develop immunity to Corona, nobody would be risking heading into a jam-packed stadium two days later, nor should people assemble in groups. We're talking about 22 players on the pitch and nearly 100 people in and around the stadium. Nah.

This thing has made people so paranoid they'll be avoiding crowded places for a long time to come.

You’re not wrong Phil, older people especially, will be much more careful in future. The world has changed!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:42 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:

It will. This whole Covid-19 business is unprecedented. During the Spanish influenza, the world hadn't become a "global village" yet. Today, it's different. What brewed in Wuhan would rarely travel to the West, in normal circumstances.

I don't think the League will start in August. It would take the end of the year before things normalize. Even if scientists miraculously discover an antidote, people are going to be shit scared.

There's no way I'm going to be hanging around at pubs, cafes, grounds, or going to concerts for a while now. I'd rather bring my whisky home and enjoy it in isolation.

The only issue I have as someone who prefers solitude is seeing all the people packed around the house. :rolleyes:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:38 pm

Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:

It will. This whole Covid-19 business is unprecedented. During the Spanish influenza, the world hadn't become a "global village" yet. Today, it's different. What brewed in Wuhan would rarely travel to the West, in normal circumstances.

I don't think the League will start in August. It would take the end of the year before things normalize. Even if scientists miraculously discover an antidote, people are going to be shit scared.

There's no way I'm going to be hanging around at pubs, cafes, grounds, or going to concerts for a while now. I'd rather bring my whisky home and enjoy it in isolation.

The only issue I have as someone who prefers solitude is seeing all the people packed around the house. :rolleyes:

I have a holiday planned for mid July at a friend's villa on a very quiet hill top in Spain.

Still keeping my fingers crossed I can do it.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby #ST » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:02 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:

I have a holiday planned for mid July at a friend's villa on a very quiet hill top in Spain.

I highly doubt it man.. It being Spain as well.
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @14-04-'24 = 0 - 2 Aston Villa
Next game @4-05-'24 = VS Bournemouth [ No ticket yet ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

Postby Angelito » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:15 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Fingers crossed, Phil.

It being Spain, as ST said, will prove to be a tough cookie. But let's hope for the best.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:03 pm

I don't see any reason to keep the season going. Just void it. It's been that long that nobody knows who was top of any of the divisions anyway without looking.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:10 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:I don't see any reason to keep the season going. Just void it. It's been that long that nobody knows who was top of any of the divisions anyway without looking.

Was explaining to the mrs the other day how long it's been since pool won the league and the circumstances this season, I couldn't help laughing and got really excited, she said you are enjoying them maybe having the season win taken away
Fucken HELL YES
Even better if Leeds lose promotion as well!!!!!
Best season ever and we haven't fired a shot
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Phil71 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:26 pm

Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Fingers crossed, Phil.

It being Spain, as ST said, will prove to be a tough cookie. But let's hope for the best.

Thanks.

They're ahead of us in the scheme of things, and everyone will want to get back to normal asap.

My wife is a carer looking after old people who were housebound before any of this. One of her clients was hospitalised last week and has since tested positive for Covid19. The Mrs is run off her feet. She's even running voluntary errands for her clients' elderly neighbours as they're under lockdown. Getting them shopping etc.

She deserves that holiday. I think she deserves a bloody medal really.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:54 pm

Your wife sounds like a good person, Phil. She'll need that vacation and R&R once this blows over.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Phil71 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:29 pm

LMAO wrote:Your wife sounds like a good person, Phil. She'll need that vacation and R&R once this blows over.

Thanks. She is. I'm very proud of her.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby VCC » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:46 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Fingers crossed, Phil.

Thanks.

They're ahead of us in the scheme of things, and everyone will want to get back to normal asap.

My wife is a carer looking after old people who were housebound before any of this. One of her clients was hospitalised last week and has since tested positive for Covid19. The Mrs is run off her feet. She's even running voluntary errands for her clients' elderly neighbours as they're under lockdown. Getting them shopping etc.

She deserves that holiday. I think she deserves a bloody medal really.

Medal for your mrs definately phil actually if you were handing out medals at this time to peeps on the frontline it would keep a substantial amount of peeps employed making medals,
Care people and medical fraternity are amazing humans
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Ach » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:10 am

Date will be pushed back again.

Can't see the point. Cancel it
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:57 am

Is anyone else confused why Liverpool fans are so bothered? This time last year I'm sure they said only the Champions League is important. This year they're saying scrap that and finish the league season. Very confusing set of fans!
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Rockape » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:38 am

Yorkyblue wrote:Is anyone else confused why Liverpool fans are so bothered? This time last year I'm sure they said only the Champions League is important. This year they're saying scrap that and finish the league season. Very confusing set of fans!

If you need to ask that question........! :doh:
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football