A return to terraces?

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: A return to terraces?

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:08 pm

"There are 96 reasons why it should not be allowed," said Margaret Aspinall, whose son died at Hillsborough.

"Standing should never, ever come back. I do not think there is anything safe about standing.

"I feel insulted that people are trying to fight for justice for Hillsborough while this campaign is growing."

Really? f***ing really!!?!?!?

Nothing safe about standing? Well maybe we should all be confined to f***ing wheelchairs then.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Exactly mate. I get some right bruises from the current 'unsafe standing'.

They are all about fans being safe and they need to realise that this is actually safer than having seats there.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:08 pm

How is it safer than seating?
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Bring it back, and with it will hopefully bring back the true blue collar fans that actually contribute to the atmosphere, and don't just attend games because it's the "in" thing to do.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:12 pm

ThereIsBearCum wrote:How is it safer than seating?

Because people stand in seating areas and that can end up dangerous. Nothing to protect you in front or behind. When it's whole blocks, it's hard to do anything about it so certain part of stadiums let certain sections stand anyway as it's hard to police. When it's just the odd person in other blocks, it's easy enough to tell them to sit down. Away fans stand all game here as well.

This picture shows everything really. The chairs unlock so can be brought down for games if it's needed for any reason. Bars in front to stop people falling through or pushed to the front etc.

Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Pudpop » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:17 pm

Standing can be dangerous if you have a situation like we have at our school. Just big steps with no bars. If bars are put in though, there's no danger whatsoever.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:18 pm

I think its the human error that makes these situations unsafe, not the terraces.

But yea, what Yorky says is simple logic, fans still stand anyway, the seats are only hurting that situation.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:21 pm

ChVint22 wrote:I think its the human error that makes these situations unsafe, not the terraces.

But yea, what Yorky says is simple logic, fans still stand anyway, the seats are only hurting that situation.

And what's more, if fans get riled they currently have access to a makeshift weapon.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:24 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:I think its the human error that makes these situations unsafe, not the terraces.

And what's more, if fans get riled they currently have access to a makeshift weapon.

Very true mate. I'm not proud of it but when I was younger I was ripping seats up at Wigans new ground (as it was then) for the hell of it with everyone else.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:09 pm

I'm baffled by the resistance to this. I always thought the justice 96 people were more of the opinion that the officials were to blame. Margaret Aspinall sounds seriouly misinformed.

On a positive note though, it's really good that the argument for safe-standing stadiums is gaining momentum. :thumbsup:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:18 pm

If standing ever makes a return to the top flight it will be the best thing to happen to football in years. Not only would a stadium like the Emirates be able to practically double its capacity but the club could lower ticket prices and still increase on our current ticket revenue.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:24 pm

GunnGunn wrote:If standing ever makes a return to the top flight it will be the best thing to happen to football in years. Not only would a stadium like the Emirates be able to practically double its capacity but the club could lower ticket prices and still increase on our current ticket revenue.

Would returning terraces to the Emirates breach any transport agreements we made when we built the stadium?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:If standing ever makes a return to the top flight it will be the best thing to happen to football in years. Not only would a stadium like the Emirates be able to practically double its capacity but the club could lower ticket prices and still increase on our current ticket revenue.

Would returning terraces to the Emirates breach any transport agreements we made when we built the stadium?

I believe that an agreement was put in place before the stadium was built that should we add another tier to our stadium, we would need to pay the rail company a fee in order to cope with the increase in supporters.

But i have no idea what that fee involves or whether its actually true or not.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:

If the club pay for the Holloway Road station redevelopment, I don't think that TFL will mind that much.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Maxduke » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Dortmund have a stand that holds 25,000 standing fans. It can work in todays game, and if we were to rubbish something because of a couple of incidents then we'd have to rubbish pretty much everything.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football