A return to terraces?

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

A return to terraces?

Postby Laughinggravy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:15 pm

I watched a special report on Sky Sports news this morning before i went to college..... Is it time to bring back terraces for standing?...

The basis of the report was along the lines that somewhere between 10 to 20% of standing room only. I am from the old school, standing towards the back of the North Bank singing my heart out. I had a season ticket in the clock end when it went all seater and i hated it. I understand what happened at Hillsborough , things had to change...and believe me ive been in a few crushes, the worse being in the Park Lane end for Littlewoods semi final replay in 1987. I was experienced even by the age of 16 of crushes and large crowds, many a time i'd been in 55,000 + plus crowds at Highbury...for some bizzare reason mainly against Liverpool in the late 70's and 80's. Been at wembley in 100,000 crowds, so im well versed in the subject. A lot of people hate sitting down, will stand up, get told to sit down by some steward, who is only doing his job.

The report talked about somewhere between 10 to 20 % of grounds with standing....Im all for it. Not having standing has stopped the younger generation from serving their apprenticeship, of working their way up from the bottom left or right hand side of the North Bank, with their dad, uncles or brothers etc. The atmosphere was electric at times, singing and jumping up and down , not always in unison either!

The problem to me would be..how to police it, make sure that if for argument sake there was 5,000 standing places, was filled with 5,000 people. Make it all season ticket?, how about a registration scheme and you buy tickets first come first served basis. That could only encourage touts, and i know the club has found a way of getting rid of them). maybe a kind of supporters club style membership Even something based on the Ultras in Spain and Italy where the club sponser them. These groups can be fanatical to the point they have singing practice at times when the staduiom is empty! Without the violence , that goes without saying.

I know in Germany they have sections that are standing, but cant use them in European Matches. They have worked out how to make it safe. I had attended many non league matches too and continue to, and i love the fact you can stand, thought there are few grounds where the away end is all seater.

I feel sorry for the generations who have not been able to stand, there was something magic about it, i yearn for it, its how i grew up going to Highbury....The only thing i do not miss is finding a good spot...only 30 seconds before kick off 3 guys over 6ft 2 would stand in front of me!....but that was all part of the enjoyment.

Football has come a long way since the Taylor report, new stands or staduims, its generally safer to go to a match, but i think there is space for standing, not on the scale as there was before, but it could be workable.

What do the ones old enough to remember terraces think?...What about the ones who have never stood on the terraces?..would you like too or you happy with your seats? :flag:
[color=#800080][/color

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
Laughinggravy
Liam Brady

Re: Standing on the terraces again?

Postby insomnia » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:25 pm

I loved the terraces to be honest,,couldn't beat it when you're team scored and you could jump about like a mad man!

I just cant hack the sitting down these days, i'm more out my seat than in it anyway but then i get in trouble for it....
insomnia
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Cheese » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:09 am

I think there is a thread on this already...

I see they are talking about this alot on SkySports and that it seem to be that it's on its way back, maybe not used by the big clubs but im sure if everything goes well they will choice to bring a standing section.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CLS » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:52 am

i cant see it to be honest but there must be a safe way now days to have a small section of standing fans

if they can have rock concerts with 100.000 people jumping up and down like nutters surely they can do it for a small section of football fans,
it would certainly created a good atmosphere
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:55 pm

As you guys know, being an American I have yet had the fortunate chance of going to any games yet. But from reading stories and watching games today and viewing games of old it seems that terraces were a big part of the great atmosphere. And because of the atmosphere is a big reason why I chose to follow the English football game, that along with the fact that its the home of football. So I do not have first hand accounts, but I personally would like to see them return.

Also, I keep reading that now days you can get in trouble for standing. Please tell me that you're at least allowed to stand and clelebrate when your team scores a goal??
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby chrisbishop69 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:13 pm

ChVint22 wrote:As you guys know, being an American I have yet had the fortunate chance of going to any games yet. But from reading stories and watching games today and viewing games of old it seems that terraces were a big part of the great atmosphere. And because of the atmosphere is a big reason why I chose to follow the English football game, that along with the fact that its the home of football. So I do not have first hand accounts, but I personally would like to see them return.

Also, I keep reading that now days you can get in trouble for standing. Please tell me that you're at least allowed to stand and clelebrate when your team scores a goal??

y dont u come to england to go 2 a couple of games?
Chris is Cool
chrisbishop69
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:16 pm

chrisbishop69 wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:As you guys know, being an American I have yet had the fortunate chance of going to any games yet. But from reading stories and watching games today and viewing games of old it seems that terraces were a big part of the great atmosphere. And because of the atmosphere is a big reason why I chose to follow the English football game, that along with the fact that its the home of football. So I do not have first hand accounts, but I personally would like to see them return.

I'm working on that mate. Hopefully in March. But its easier said than done.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CLS » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:16 pm

chrisbishop69 wrote:

havnt you seen the party thread for the goonersworld party next year

keep up he coming in feb march next year :brick:

GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby CLS » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:25 pm

ChVint22 wrote: Please tell me that you're at least allowed to stand and clelebrate when your team scores a goal??

you can stand up when your team is attacking etc but not for long periods
and every one goes nuts jumping up and down when you score dont worry about that .

GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:48 pm

CLS wrote:
ChVint22 wrote: Please tell me that you're at least allowed to stand and clelebrate when your team scores a goal??

you can stand up when your team is attacking etc but not for long periods
and every one goes nuts jumping up and down when you score dont worry about that .

Well thats what I thought, but all this getting in trouble for standing talk has got me scared for a minute. Good to hear that everyone goes crazy, I will be a part of that madness. Can't wait to make my trip across the pond. :005:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:54 pm

We have terracing in Rugby League. Even brand new stadiums being built with 2 sides terracing! It's safe, no doubt about it.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby SE13 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:54 pm

Before I go into a major rant about terraces, which is without a shadow of a doubt, my favourite football related rant..... Take a look at this YouTube video. Listen to the atmosphere, and watch to the right of the goal after the goal goes in. The quality is a bit cr@p, but this is back in the 70's, so presumably copied, recopied and copied again on various not very modern systems.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KFAUa679EQo

Oh, and it's against Middlesex, when we thrashed them 5-0 on their own turf......

ENJOY!!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

A return to terraces?

Postby Trina » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:05 am

Thirteen English league clubs support reintroducing standing at football grounds, according to a fans' group.

On Tuesday, the Football Supporters' Federation is hoping to win the backing of MPs for its plans for a small-scale trial at Premier League clubs.

It believes the pilot scheme would show standing - outlawed after the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 - is now a safe way to watch football.
English league clubs backing trial

Aston Villa
Brentford
Bristol City
Burnley
Cardiff City
Crystal Palace
Derby County
Doncaster Rovers
Hull City
Peterborough United
Plymouth Argyle
Watford
AFC Wimbledon

The Premier League have released a statement opposing the idea.

FSF's Peter Daykin said: "We need to find out if it can work and the only way to do that is to trial it."

But a Premier League statement says they will "not be encouraging the Government to change the law".

It reads: "Since the introduction of all-seater stadia the supporter experience has improved significantly and we have seen more diverse crowds attending Premier League matches, including more women and children.

"The police, safety officers and licensing authorities remain clear and have consistently informed us that crowd management has improved as a result of all-seater stadiums being in place in the top two divisions in this country."

All-seater stadiums have been compulsory in the Premier League since 1994, following Lord Justice Taylor's report after the Hillsborough disaster.

But MP Roger Godsiff has tabled an Early Day Motion calling for government approval of a pilot scheme.

The FSF says the idea has the support of Aston Villa and the Scottish Premier League plus 12 Football League clubs, including Peterborough United, Cardiff City, Crystal Palace, Derby County and Hull City.
Continue reading the main story

“I feel insulted that people are trying to fight for justice for Hillsborough while this campaign is growing”

Margaret Aspinall Chair of Hillsborough Family Support Group

The proposal is to introduce a design of "rail seat" currently used in some European countries such as Germany. This incorporates a safety barrier and a flip-down seat on every other row. The seats can be locked in an upright position, meaning two rows of supporters can stand in between the barriers, which reduces the danger of a crush.

This type of standing area would also be able to be converted to seating for European competitions, where all-seater stadiums are required.

A panel of industry experts containing Villa's chief executive Paul Faulkner and West Midlands Police Force Superintendent Steve Graham will present a case for allowing standing at matches at Portcullis House in Westminster on Tuesday.

FSF's safe standing co-ordinator Daykin told BBC Sport: "The debate about standing has reached a point where both sides are entrenched.

"Things have changed dramatically since 23 years ago when the Taylor Report was produced.

"They have moved on massively in terms of technology and know-how around safety in football grounds.

"What we are calling for is a number of small-scale trials at Premier League clubs up and down the country.

"Then experts, safety officers and the police can see how it works in a modern context.

"We have had 50 MPs sign up to Roger Godsiff's EDM and correspondence showing support from more MPs unable to sign."

The campaign for the introduction of safe-standing areas has already met with some opposition from the chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group.

"There are 96 reasons why it should not be allowed," said Margaret Aspinall, whose son died at Hillsborough.

"Standing should never, ever come back. I do not think there is anything safe about standing.

"I feel insulted that people are trying to fight for justice for Hillsborough while this campaign is growing."

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor said on Monday that clubs might have to introduce netting around pitches to protect players.

Taylor was speaking after Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand was hit by an object as his side celebrated the winning goal against Manchester City on Sunday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20679867
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Re: A return to terraces?

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:22 am

I hope it goes ahead but I feat that Arsenal will not do it because they'll think they can get more money by keeping it all seated. The only opposition I see comes from the Hillborough group, which this issue frankly is none of their buisiness as it's not as if they want to bring back old terracing and fencing but, as the name suggests, SAFE standing.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Re: A return to terraces?

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:58 am

Royal Gooner wrote:I hope it goes ahead but I feat that Arsenal will not do it because they'll think they can get more money by keeping it all seated. The only opposition I see comes from the Hillborough group, which this issue frankly is none of their buisiness as it's not as if they want to bring back old terracing and fencing but, as the name suggests, SAFE standing.

They're doing my head in now mate. I don't even get what their point is. It's like they are hearing standing and just acting like they mean like it used to be.

I've been saying for a few years about this safe standing. It's much safer than people constantly standing as they do now with seats in front of them.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Next

Return to Domestic Football