A return to terraces?

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: A return to terraces?

Postby StLGooner » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Maxduke wrote:Dortmund have a stand that holds 25,000 standing fans. It can work in todays game, and if we were to rubbish something because of a couple of incidents then we'd have to rubbish pretty much everything.

Aren't they allowed to drink beer during the game as well?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Maxduke » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:57 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Maxduke wrote:Dortmund have a stand that holds 25,000 standing fans. It can work in todays game, and if we were to rubbish something because of a couple of incidents then we'd have to rubbish pretty much everything.

Think so yeah, think they get them plastic cups though.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Maxduke wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Think so yeah, think they get them plastic cups though.

I'd drink it out of a boot as long as I could have it at a game. :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:32 pm

Lol your not allowed beer during the match?
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Pudpop wrote:Lol your not allowed beer during the match?

Just not in view of the pitch or on European nights.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby StLGooner » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Pudpop wrote:Lol your not allowed beer during the match?

I'm talking about in Germany.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Goonerfromafrica » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:21 pm

I don't think terraces would work properly at the emirates. Like it's not the same if you're so far from the pitch.
Goonerfromafrica
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Est83 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:43 am

... why not? :scratch:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby golfinguy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:43 pm

All for it. Double the seating capacity of a few sections, drop ticket prices for them in half - you still increase revenue (more beverage/food/merchandise) and get more of the 'real' fans back in the grounds.

Why is everyone so deferential to the Hillsborough group? Fear? I mean you can be sympathetic to their cause without falling lock step in everything they wish to comment on.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:40 pm

My mum always said terraces were the best. Hopefully the Arsenal can implement this somehow, would love it and probably be able to actually afford tickets.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:15 am

Terraces and safe standing alone will not improve the atmosphere at games. The issue IMO is that people are allocated seats. Whereas in the good old days large groups would leave the pubs, the atmosphere would build up on the way to/outside of the ground and then inside the groups would all stand together, now you get a good atmosphere outside the ground, but people are dispersed as they go to their seats which are all over the ground.

We all saw the BSM march and the atmosphere they produced outside of the ground. Now imagine if they all entered the ground and had been in the same area, all sat together. Then you'll have an idea of why the atmosphere at matches used to be so much better - it wouldn't matter if people were stood or seated.

Rather than terraces or safe standing areas, I'd like to see people sold tickets to 'areas' of the ground rather than specific seats. That way large groups meeting up in pubs could all arrive together and bring the atmosphere with them. It would also encourage fans to get in their seats earlier - as it would be first come first serve.

The issue is that police and the club want to be able to pick out trouble makers which is why they want people to be allocated seats. If safe standing was introduced I'd imagine you'd be given a designated place to stand and the atmosphere would be just as bad.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Terraces and safe standing alone will not improve the atmosphere at games. The issue IMO is that people are allocated seats. Whereas in the good old days large groups would leave the pubs, the atmosphere would build up on the way to/outside of the ground and then inside the groups would all stand together, now you get a good atmosphere outside the ground, but people are dispersed as they go to their seats which are all over the ground.

We all saw the BSM march and the atmosphere they produced outside of the ground. Now imagine if they all entered the ground and had been in the same area, all sat together. Then you'll have an idea of why the atmosphere at matches used to be so much better - it wouldn't matter if people were stood or seated.

Rather than terraces or safe standing areas, I'd like to see people sold tickets to 'areas' of the ground rather than specific seats. That way large groups meeting up in pubs could all arrive together and bring the atmosphere with them. It would also encourage fans to get in their seats earlier - as it would be first come first serve.

The issue is that police and the club want to be able to pick out trouble makers which is why they want people to be allocated seats. If safe standing was introduced I'd imagine you'd be given a designated place to stand and the atmosphere would be just as bad.

Indeed you would be given a specific place to stand but how are they going to police that? Even our stewards are not anal enough to make sure that everyone sits in the exact seats or stand in the exact place. Unfortunatly, terracing was before my time but from what I gather, it was self-policing with troublemakers pointed out by the fans, a system which with CCTV will allow those in the security box to follow the troublemaker easily. The idea of being given an area rather than a specific place sounds good as it would make sense rather than trying to work out the exact place to stand. I think it might improve the atmosphere because you won't have the plastics who want to sit and just grumble about not doing so in the area. I know full well you'll have the families there who won't want their little darlings standing all the time so they'll be out of the area if they know that that is the standing area which can then be filled by a fan who wants to create an atmosphere.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Goonerfromafrica » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Terraces and safe standing alone will not improve the atmosphere at games. The issue IMO is that people are allocated seats. Whereas in the good old days large groups would leave the pubs, the atmosphere would build up on the way to/outside of the ground and then inside the groups would all stand together, now you get a good atmosphere outside the ground, but people are dispersed as they go to their seats which are all over the ground.

Very well said PG.
Goonerfromafrica
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:59 am

Cheers GFA

Royal Gooner wrote:

Indeed you would be given a specific place to stand but how are they going to police that? Even our stewards are not anal enough to make sure that everyone sits in the exact seats or stand in the exact place. Unfortunatly, terracing was before my time but from what I gather, it was self-policing with troublemakers pointed out by the fans, a system which with CCTV will allow those in the security box to follow the troublemaker easily. The idea of being given an area rather than a specific place sounds good as it would make sense rather than trying to work out the exact place to stand. I think it might improve the atmosphere because you won't have the plastics who want to sit and just grumble about not doing so in the area. I know full well you'll have the families there who won't want their little darlings standing all the time so they'll be out of the area if they know that that is the standing area which can then be filled by a fan who wants to create an atmosphere.

They'd police where you stand in the same way they police where you sit. I don't see how it'd be any different seated or standing :dontknow:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:39 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Cheers GFA

Royal Gooner wrote:

They'd police where you stand in the same way they police where you sit. I don't see how it'd be any different seated or standing :dontknow:

As they do now, then there won't be much change as I've swapped seats before and I know of a match where about 11 seats in a row were swapped around so there won't be much policing in where you stand especially if they intend to carry on as normal.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football