Could Leicester get relegated?

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Could Leicester get relegated?

Postby Zenith » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:10 am

ThisIsNotAnID wrote:
Zenith wrote:It's interesting how the a working formula for a team to win the league can become completely ineffective when just one constituent is taken away from it.

They wouldn't even be in the top 7 if they had Kante, it's not just down to him. What we're seeing is Leicester regressing to the mean after massively overachieving last season.

I find it hilarious how an entire team performing at its absolute maximum potential for a full season non-stop is labeled as "overachieving". It's a derogatory word used by bitter and frustrated fans like us to try and discredit what really is a magnificent and historic achievement.

If there were strong evidence of corruption and/or doping amongst the champions - like has been with in the cycling sport over the last decade or three - the usage of the word "overachieving" would be more applicable, but there is not even a suggestion, let alone a corroboration of that being the case other than Kante's calves. Yes that reference was tongue-in-cheek.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Angelito » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:27 am

It's also worth noting that in the last 4 seasons, twice the defending Champions haven't qualified for the forthcoming edition of the CL. ManU in 2013/14 and Chelsea in 2015/16. Leicester look likely to join them in 2016/17. That makes it 3 defending champions not making it to the EL - let alone CL - in the last 4 seasons. Ironically, this could be a season that sees a club not in the CL winning the PL again.

The fall of ManU from winners to 7th and Chelsea (from winners) to 10th makes Leicester's fall from champions to 15th (merely picking a number) look not-so-bad. Compare the size and scale of MaU and Chelsea to that of Leicester, you get the picture. Regardless, I expect Leicester to pick up in the League - now that they don't have to worry about Europe until February.

And, we should stop underrating Leicester's accomplishments last season. 38 games. A season. And they beat everyone in the country. Fin.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:36 am

Very true and ThisIsNotAnId made a good point that Leicester probably wouldn't be in the top 7 even if Kante was still there, but I don't think they would be in the position they are in now - it's no coincidence that Chelsea's midfield finally looks solid again with him in it, the same applies to Les Bleus.

It seems to be a theme amongst teams to stay hungry after having won the league title. Are players to easily satisfied these days? Is it a mentality thing? It's probably a mixture of both mentality and the fact that the league is just far more competitive than it was 10-20 years ago when United won three titles in a row, twice.

The only other team to do it during the modern era was Chelsea after the appoinment of Mourinho and after having out-spent United by 1049% in Abramovic's first year at Chelsea.

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:40 am

Leicester were always gonna drop off massively, that's why I called it with both them and West Ham missing out on the European spots despite both being in those places last year (champs n 7th).

They'd be better with Kante of course but the drop off is no shock, they will recover to top 10 by the end of the season I'm sure, West Ham will eventually get going and shoot up towards the top 10/11 as well.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Zenith wrote:Very true and ThisIsNotAnId made a good point that Leicester probably wouldn't be in the top 7 even if Kante was still there, but I don't think they would be in the position they are in now - it's no coincidence that Chelsea's midfield finally looks solid again with him in it, the same applies to Les Bleus.

It seems to be a theme amongst teams to stay hungry after having won the league title. Are players to easily satisfied these days? Is it a mentality thing? It's probably a mixture of both mentality and the fact that the league is just far more competitive than it was 10-20 years ago when United won three titles in a row, twice.

The only other team to do it during the modern era was Chelsea after the appoinment of Mourinho and after having out-spent United by 1049% in Abramovic's first year at Chelsea.

Chelsea only won 2 in a row

What's worth mentioning is that 2004-2006 was the first time United didn't win the PL for 3 consecutive seasons. The end of this season will make the first time it's 4 in a row (in all likelihood). The PL between 05-09 was pretty competitive but it was just 3 teams and Liverpool kind of. Now with City becoming a top team and Tottenham consistently making top 4 challenges there are now 6 competitors at the top, which is unprecedented, which makes United unprecedented potential 4 unsuccessful seasons make a lot of sense
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:40 pm

Re relegation in general, I think it's the most open season for years at the bottom and its very difficult to tell who'll go down.

Burnley look pretty crap, Swansea you'd have to say are favourites, I think Sunderland will survive, Hull have got enough problems to rival Jay-Z, and West Ham..... just a joke of a club.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Zenith » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:22 pm

Pudpop wrote:
Zenith wrote:Very true and ThisIsNotAnId made a good point that Leicester probably wouldn't be in the top 7 even if Kante was still there, but I don't think they would be in the position they are in now - it's no coincidence that Chelsea's midfield finally looks solid again with him in it, the same applies to Les Bleus.

Chelsea only won 2 in a row

What's worth mentioning is that 2004-2006 was the first time United didn't win the PL for 3 consecutive seasons. The end of this season will make the first time it's 4 in a row (in all likelihood). The PL between 05-09 was pretty competitive but it was just 3 teams and Liverpool kind of. Now with City becoming a top team and Tottenham consistently making top 4 challenges there are now 6 competitors at the top, which is unprecedented, which makes United unprecedented potential 4 unsuccessful seasons make a lot of sense

By 'it' I referred to winning back-to-back league titles.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:35 pm

Zenith wrote:
ThisIsNotAnID wrote:
Zenith wrote:It's interesting how the a working formula for a team to win the league can become completely ineffective when just one constituent is taken away from it.

They wouldn't even be in the top 7 if they had Kante, it's not just down to him. What we're seeing is Leicester regressing to the mean after massively overachieving last season.

I find it hilarious how an entire team performing at its absolute maximum potential for a full season non-stop is labeled as "overachieving". It's a derogatory word used by bitter and frustrated fans like us to try and discredit what really is a magnificent and historic achievement.

If there were strong evidence of corruption and/or doping amongst the champions - like has been with in the cycling sport over the last decade or three - the usage of the word "overachieving" would be more applicable, but there is not even a suggestion, let alone a corroboration of that being the case other than Kante's calves. Yes that reference was tongue-in-cheek.

If there was evidence of corruption and/or doping, then they would be cheating. I am not trying to discredit Leicester's achievement, they were able to capitalize on their fortunes but they did overachieve and every statistical model out there will tell you that.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby Slick » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:39 pm

I get why Arsenal fans would be bitter and frustrated at Leicester's fortune. I mean, Arsenal beat Leicester both home and away fairly convincingly last season. The problem was nobody else could beat them.
Slick
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby StLGooner » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:43 pm

If they did get relegated, would it convince the non believers that their championship season was indeed a bit of a fluke?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:59 pm

StLGooner wrote:If they did get relegated, would it convince the non believers that their championship season was indeed a bit of a fluke?

No, but its a lesson in the importance of psychology in sport.

If a team returns to obscurity immediately after winning the league, it shows that the concepts of momentum and seige mentality are as powerful as actual tallent.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Pudpop » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:06 pm

I'm sure this sounds bitter but I'd also point out the performances against them last season. I firmly believe that towards the end of the season their opponents weren't giving nearly the same amount of effort as in other games. That string of 1-0 wins their opposition was abysmal. I remember Southampton had a shocking game against them where they looked like they didn't want to score but then went and outplayed Man city a week afterwards (or before)
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:44 pm

I think every team has to have a little bit of luck or good fortune in order to win a championship, not just in football but in almost every team sport. With injuries, and just the ball bouncing your way at times, you can't always control that. However, I do believe you do make your own luck mostly, and talent and good coaching usually wins out the majority of the time. They just happened to fall into the perfect mixture of playing well enough, and the other tops teams not playing up to their usual standards. It shouldn't take away from their overall accomplishment though.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Bye Ranieri
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:49 pm