Manchester City

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola as next manager

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:45 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote: but the single greatest season in PL history belongs to The Invincibles.

It's subjective .... unbeaten in the EPL yes .... however most wins no, most points no, most goals no, best defence no, most trophies no ....

So the only measure that says the Invicibles had the 'greatest season ever' is their unbeaten EPL tag .... and on that very narrow measurement that indeed is fair enough ... and until / if someone matches that it will remain a unique achievement ....

But to claim that they 'we're the greatest by default' on what basis? .... Utd 98-99 treble winning side League/Cup/CL probably has the strongest claim to that honour, they achieved a feat in League - Cup - Europe that no team has matched either before or since ...

The Invincibles quite rightly can claim a unique record in the EPL ... but they failed in the Cup and in Europe ... 'greatest by default' I'm not so sure you've made your case ...
Last edited by EliteKiller on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LMAO » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:51 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:They aren't greater at all.

The Invincibles were unbeatable, until another PL team matches that there is no debate to be had.

We're the greatest by default.

We are the standard by which all other teams will be judged.

The only knock on us is we drew too many games which is true, especially towards the end. Drew 3 of our last 5 ffs.

tbf I was talking in terms of the holistic season, i.e. all competitions. I never framed the comparison solely based on the PL nor did I say this season's City team is greater than the Invincibles, only that they could be equal at best.

However, in terms of the league, if City manages 100 or 102 points, then they'd definitely have a case to be put on the same pedestal as the Invincibles. At that point, it's up to each person to decide which achievement is more impressive: an unbeaten season or a triple-digit point total.

But as of right now, the Invincibles had the most impressive PL season of all-time and the 1998-99 United team had the greatest season of any English club.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:07 pm

EliteKiller wrote:It's subjective .... unbeaten in the EPL yes .... however most wins no, most points no, most goals no, best defence no, most trophies no ....

So the only measure that says the Invicibles had the 'greatest season ever' is their unbeaten EPL tag .... and on that very narrow measurement that indeed is fair enough ... and until / if someone matches that it will remain a unique achievement ....

.... Utd 98-99 treble winning side League/Cup/CL probably has the strongest claim to that honour, they achieved a feat in League - Cup - Europe that no team has matched either before or since ...

The Invincibles quite rightly can claim a unique record in the EPL ... but they failed in the Cup and in Europe ... 'greatest by default' I'm not so sure you've made your case ...

I never said we had the greatest season ever, I said we had the greatest PL season ever.

Our '98 and '02 sides were more successful than The Invincibles because they won two trophies, but again, I'm only talking about the PL campaign!

But to claim that they 'we're the greatest by default' on what basis?

On the basis that we never lost.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Losmeister » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:09 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Yes it is their title but you're on an Arsenal forum posting like you're Man City's verified Twitter.

Bare weird.

for me, i just dont get it...

fans of other teams plastering their jizz all over OUR Arsenal forum...

asqueroso...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:11 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Yes it is their title but you're on an Arsenal forum posting like you're Man City's verified Twitter.

Bare weird.

This is the domestic football sub forum, Guardiola thread? :dontknow:
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Santi » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:10 am

Oh my Pep
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Pep says he knew after the Spurs game in pre season that City would have a special season.

Visionary.
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:07 pm

City also been training harder than ever this week. No celebrations. Starting their pre season already and thinking about next season.

What I would do to have him here.
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zedie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:They aren't greater at all.

The Invincibles were unbeatable, until another PL team matches that there is no debate to be had.

We're the greatest by default.

We are the standard by which all other teams will be judged.

The only knock on us is we drew too many games which is true, especially towards the end. Drew 3 of our last 5 ffs.

Hardly a criticism tbf unless another invincible team does it with more wins.

Also I'm not surprised the last 3 of 5 were draws. Imagine being that close to immortality and one snide result can undo all the others you've put into.

Must have been constant squeaky bum time. Certainly felt that way to me and I was only watching it let alone responsible for it.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:23 pm

SuperJackyWilshere wrote:Pep says he knew after the Spurs game in pre season that City would have a special season.

Visionary.

Hard not to after spending astronomical sums.

I read somewhere that Pep has spent more money in two years at City than Wenger has in 22 years at Arsenal. :rofll:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zedie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:25 pm

Angelito wrote:
SuperJackyWilshere wrote:Pep says he knew after the Spurs game in pre season that City would have a special season.

Visionary.

Hard not to after spending astronomical sums.

I read somewhere that Pep has spent more money in two years at City than Wenger has in 22 years at Arsenal. :rofll:

That's about right. More money adding to an already better squad ffs. It's not like their squad was petance when he took over lol
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:26 pm

His spending is irrelevant as he got the job done in spectacular fashion.

'Championes, Championes' ringing around the Etihad.
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:30 pm

SuperJackyWilshere wrote:His spending is irrelevant as he got the job done in spectacular fashion.

Wenger went an entire season unbeaten by spending £3m in the summer of 2003.

What's your point?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Angelito wrote:
SuperJackyWilshere wrote:His spending is irrelevant as he got the job done in spectacular fashion.

Wenger went an entire season unbeaten by spending £3m in the summer of 2003.

What's your point?

My point, lol? eh?
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Santi » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:32 pm

this wanking over city does my head in, Pep's great, city have played really good stuff but it ain't our club so who really cares.

well done to them all, now get us a good manager and hope city are wank next season.
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football