Manchester City

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola as next manager

Postby Ach » Wed May 16, 2018 8:51 am

He's already making excuses. Dear God.

Time is nearly up for him
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby EliteKiller » Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 am

LMAO wrote:2017-18 Man City is officially on par with the Invincibles for me.

First club to reach 100 points in the English top division. Even 1978-79 Liverpool would have only had 98 points if wins counted for 3 points back then, and that was with 42 games.

Most points per game (2.63) in a season. Most wins (32) in a season. Most consecutive wins (18) in a season. Most goals scored (106) in a season. Best goal difference (79) in a season.

Insane.

"On a Par" then you list a six areas where City were a whole lot better ....

The Invicibles had one season where they achieved something that may never be done again ... that's legendary stuff ... but pure footballing wise it's not "on a par" with a team that broke almost every 25 year old EPL record on the books ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 16, 2018 4:40 pm

P38 L0 has held for 14 years. There's still only one Invincibles.

I think 100 league points will hold for a similar amount of time. Chelsea had a blistering season last year and managed 'only' 93 points.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Wed May 16, 2018 5:58 pm

aniym wrote:P38 L0 has held for 14 years. There's still only one Invincibles.

I think 100 league points will hold for a similar amount of time. Chelsea had a blistering season last year and managed 'only' 93 points.

Wenger spent £3m in the summer of 2003. We finished Invincibles.

City spent £250m in the summer alone. They finished Centurions.

Pep is the best manager in world football today IF you give him a blank checkbook. He's amazing even without it but not as good as this centurion.

It's shameful from this dumb English media to even compare the two.

Football has changed. Even amongst fans. There is no room for critical thinking.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Thu May 17, 2018 1:55 am

EliteKiller wrote:

First club to reach 100 points in the English top division. Even 1978-79 Liverpool would have only had 98 points if wins counted for 3 points back then, and that was with 42 games.

Most points per game (2.63) in a season. Most wins (32) in a season. Most consecutive wins (18) in a season. Most goals scored (106) in a season. Best goal difference (79) in a season.

Insane.

The Invicibles had one season where they achieved something that may never be done again ... that's legendary stuff ... but pure footballing wise it's not "on a par" with a team that broke almost every 25 year old EPL record on the books ...

Meant on par in regards to the significance of both teams' respective achievements, not which team would win on the field.

I have City's achievement on par with the Invincibles because an undefeated season had already been accomplished in the English top flight. It doesn't matter that it was over a hundred years ago, the Invincibles weren't the first.

On the other hand, this City team was the first in English top flight history to manage their feat. As I've said, even if we retroactively award 3 points to all clubs back when wins counted for 2, no team could lay claim to a triple digit point total, and that was with an extra four games to accomplish that.

But my main rationale for not having the Invincibles ahead is because of the number of games drawn. Twelve is too much and detracts from an otherwise laudable feat. 2003-04 Arsenal was invincible, they weren't untouchable.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LegendaryKeown » Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 pm

Iniesta to replace Arteta. It's done.
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Fri May 18, 2018 11:36 pm

Signed an extension yesterday until 2021.

Worst possible news for the PL.

League is all City's until he goes.
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby starmandb » Sat May 19, 2018 9:48 am

LMAO wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

Insane.

Meant on par in regards to the significance of both teams' respective achievements, not which team would win on the field.

I have City's achievement on par with the Invincibles because an undefeated season had already been accomplished in the English top flight. It doesn't matter that it was over a hundred years ago, the Invincibles weren't the first.

On the other hand, this City team was the first in English top flight history to manage their feat. As I've said, even if we retroactively award 3 points to all clubs back when wins counted for 2, no team could lay claim to a triple digit point total, and that was with an extra four games to accomplish that.

But my main rationale for not having the Invincibles ahead is because of the number of games drawn. Twelve is too much and detracts from an otherwise laudable feat. 2003-04 Arsenal was invincible, they weren't untouchable.

Preston played 22 games to go unbeaten in what was the 1st ever league season in 1888/89
They lost the 2 nd game of the 89/90 season and by the time they had played 38 games they had lost 4 times
To compare that to what we achieved in 03/04 is laughable
Goalkeepers could handle the ball outside the box until 1912!
We went 22 games unbeaten between April and dec in 2007
And 21 in the same season in 08/09
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Santi » Sat May 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Invincibility is better than what City did, although I'd have them as the 2nd best ever Premier League season.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sat May 19, 2018 6:30 pm

I don't know why everyone seems to be ignoring that Wenger spent £2.5m in the summer before the Invincibles season. Pep spent nearly £200m.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat May 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Angelito wrote:I don't know why everyone seems to be ignoring that Wenger spent £2.5m in the summer before the Invincibles season. Pep spent nearly £200m.

Yep, even back then he was a tight bar steward
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Mon May 21, 2018 1:10 am

starmandb wrote:
LMAO wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

Insane.

Preston played 22 games to go unbeaten in what was the 1st ever league season in 1888/89
They lost the 2 nd game of the 89/90 season and by the time they had played 38 games they had lost 4 times
To compare that to what we achieved in 03/04 is laughable
Goalkeepers could handle the ball outside the box until 1912!
We went 22 games unbeaten between April and dec in 2007
And 21 in the same season in 08/09

What Preston after the 1888-89 season is irrelevant; they could've lost every game for the next 100 years and it still wouldn't change the fact that they were the first to go undefeated in the top flight.

Also, it wasn't Preston's fault that seasons were only 22 games back then. They could only play the schedule in front of them. Could they have also gone undefeated in a 38 or 42 game season? We'll never know. All we know is they were the first, rule changes or no rule changes.

Once again, I'm not taking away from what the Invincibles accomplished; an undefeated season in any era calls for adulation. I merely pointed out 2003-04 Arsenal didn't have the first undefeated season, thus the feat isn't as rare as a 100+ point season. Yes, Preston would've also had 100 points with 31 wins and 7 draws if you extrapolated their season to modern standards, but that's getting into hypotheticals and not what happened.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon May 21, 2018 6:36 am

Pep set a record that he himself can never beat - 100pts and 32 wins is unprecendented and likely impossible to match for a generation.

In all likelihood, Pep will be gone in ~5 yrs and thete's no one in Europe that can match that level of performance.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon May 21, 2018 6:41 am

I can see him get 100+ points next season. Personally, would rather he get 108 with two losses against us in our 114 point Arteta season
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Tue May 29, 2018 12:49 pm

Sterling really is a bit of an idiot isn't he?

"I am against guns so I'll have a gun tattoo"

Drop him from the squad
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football