Negativity......

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Negativity......

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:50 pm

Now where do i start. Jose is gone. His negative brand of football sunk him without a trace. English football is evolving and has reached a stage where you simply cannot get away playing negative brand of football at the top echelons of the league. The reason is simple. You rely only on results when you are playing a negative brand of football, some how trying to scrape through instead of utilizing the full range of capabilities of your squad. When results dry up the pressure on the manager will be enormous cos not only have the results dried up, you simply have no answer as to how you are going to get out of the hole. You simply have no where hide.

Just look at the way Leicester have played. They are not just topping the league, they have also scored the most number of goals. Chelsea had scored 18 before Jose got the sack. Man united are slowly sinking under the negative brand of football displayed by LVG. They have scored 22 goals in 17 games and are still in the top 4 but there is already talk of LVG getting the sack at the end of the season. The reason is simple. United have looked negative, one dimensional and unconvincing.

Fans and Club owners are slowly but surely are shifting their interests towards seeing a positive brand of football. I also want to make one thing very clear. I am not just talking about the goals here rather the attitude and the philosophy. Yes football is a result oriented business but i think we are seeing that as football is evolving along with the results the manner in which you get those results counts as well. Yes at the bottom of the table, this thing may not be a significant factor but even there you see clubs trying to come out and take the fight to the big teams.

We are not seeing as many park the bus type of football games as in the past. I think this season has been fascinating in that, it has produced some competitive football even the contest has been between two clubs separated by a big gap in the league table. Clubs are not afraid to come out and express themselves. I feel irrespective of the teams involved the games have been keenly contested and less cagey.

There is one thing i want to add in the end that there is a difference between good defending and negative football. Any avid football fan can understand what i am trying to say. The difference between a bottom club trying to fend it off and battle it out and a club like united/Chelsea laboring trying to huff and puff in order to get a result is massive. The question that was posed to Jose will be posed to LVG as well that why buy a bunch of talented footballers if you are only going to castrate them.

As great a CV Jose has he paid the price for failing to read the pulse of how football works today. LVG similarly has been trying to hide under the league position but after the loss today when United did not have a single shot on target in the first half against a poor Norwich side his positing will be under massive threat. I just believe this season in English football has shown you need not have a world class squad to play positive football.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Re: Negativity......

Postby Sims » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:53 pm

It's weird how Wenger was vastly criticised for not adapting. He still hasn't really but the cycle of football has changed so that if favours our style once again.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Jedi » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:13 pm

Mourinho f***ked up therefore defensive oriented football doesn't work anymore. Flawless logic.

He won the league months ago. He lost the dressing room and he got sacked. If he comes back to PL with City/United he is winning another title
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby CukiZeGerman » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:17 pm

Jedieurokrem wrote:Mourinho f***ked up therefore defensive oriented football doesn't work anymore. Flawless logic.

It is not simply about him f***ing up - it is about the way he did it.
And yes - his style is negative.

FFS - Chelsea is probably among the Top 5 most expensive sides in the World.
Their attacking options are among the best too. Yet Jose constantly sold their best attack oriented players (Lukaku, KDB, Mata etc.) and mostly played defense oriented players (5 defenders + 2 defensive mids) - even against relegation threatened sides.

You cannot tell me that that is normal.
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Jedi » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:23 pm

CukiZeGerman wrote:
Jedieurokrem wrote:Mourinho f***ked up therefore defensive oriented football doesn't work anymore. Flawless logic.

Their attacking options are among the best too. Yet Jose constantly sold their best attack oriented players (Lukaku, KDB, Mata etc.) and mostly played defense oriented players (5 defenders + 2 defensive mids) - even against relegation threatened sides.

Its normal for him and his tactics are not the problem. He simply lost the dressing room. Or are you trying to tell me that every PL side evolved past 2014 Chelsea that was destroying every team. Also while his approach is very defensive his side scored a very decent amout of goals last season.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby CukiZeGerman » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:31 pm

Jedieurokrem wrote:Its normal for him and his tactics are not the problem.

His tactics may not be the ONLY or the biggest problem - but they were part of the overall problem.

Jedieurokrem wrote:He simply lost the dressing room. Or are you trying to tell me that every PL side evolved past 2014 Chelsea that was destroying every team. Also while his approach is very defensive his side scored a very decent amout of goals last season.

Moanrinho's approach has always been good enough against "big" teams that will take the iniciative from his team and let his team concentrate on defending and going for the occasional counter.

But his approach was ALWAYS (in Real, and since he came back to Chelsea) weak against "smaller" teams that wouldn't take the iniciative but would let Chelsea take the ball.

That's why he doesn't have a good track record agains the lower ranked teams. But a pretty good one against the higher ranked teams.

But that approach can't work always.
Couple it with players that are getting into a certain age (Terry) and bad morale and you get Chelsea's current situation-.
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Apollo » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:32 pm

Even when winning, shutting it down at the back and hoping someone does something offensively is always a dangerous tactic.

But i wouldnt say he can't still get away with it,he could and can.

Better defenders, talented attackers who he hasn't pissed off, and he can go back to hoping someone does something offensively again.

Again Man is just an expensive Pulis it all depends on his working budget, sure he can win again.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Fran Solo » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:34 pm

The problem with United and Chelsea (before Mourinho got sacked) is that they try to play their games carefully and patiently, but still conceded a lot of goals. Giving the opponent the initiative and fail to prevent them from scoring is not negative football. It is a failed tactic. And it looks bad and embarassing.
The exact opposite is us some years ago. Remember the time when Wenger bragged about his attacking football, but could not score? Keeping all the possession and trying to walk the ball into the net without really scoring is not attacking football. It also looks bad and embarassing.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:56 pm

CukiZeGerman wrote:

Spot on.

Mourinho assembled the top attackers and asked them to do things they have never done in their life. Hazard to baby sit Azpilicueta lol. Willian has been reduced to a glorified full back. Oscar has been literally castrated.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:20 pm

I'd laugh my tits off is Maureen does get the Utd job. They are a far worse attacking team than Chelsea, just imagine the struggle...

Can't wait tbh.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Return to Domestic Football