Brendan Rodgers sacked

All UK football including Champions League, Europa Cup, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also any transfer gossip and news.

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby UFGN » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:33 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Cripps wrote:What's better?

Aiming for fourth every season as we do and getting it showing no ambition for improvement or aiming higher or the title, not winning it but getting CL qualification anyway cos we finish top 4?


What's the difference?


Signings of intent.


Both end with 4th place. Theres literally no difference how you get there apparently, just where you end up.



It's not the same thing.

If we had shown ambition in the past we may have mounted a proper title challenge or maybe even won one (07/08 perhaps when we ran out of steam or 13/14 ).

There would be a lot less angry fans if we actually looked like we were trying our best to win the title and failed instead of clearly doing the bare minimum and aiming for fourth place from the get go.

There is a difference between making 4th place our goal and doing our utmost to win but falling short.


Exactly this.
Image
User avatar
UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 19
Member of the Year 2014, 19
 
Posts: 19785
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby Dubs4Sam » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:07 am

Not too sure what the big panic is about them getting Klopp firstly he hasnt managed outside of Germany and all the new facets that brings and secondly Klopp was really found out to extent when Dortmond sold their best players to Bayern and beyond - he will taking over a very similar squad strenght - quality wise to the one that he couldnt get to perform in Germany after those transfers .

He also has no real record of handling a transfer kitty as Dortmond never had any real money not the likes that he will see at Liverpool with the TV money so that is another angle.

It is a step in the right direction for Liverpool and dont get me wrong he will have an impact but their is still alot of variables to consider whether how this deal will effect us directly.
Image
User avatar
Dubs4Sam
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 11:00 am
Location: Inside the Know Outside the Comprehension

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby Pudpop » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:30 am

It affects us because he is an option for us to replace Wenger with.

Personally I think he's our best bet
Image
'The Turkish Diddler' ~ O(z)il on Canvas, © 2017
User avatar
Pudpop
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger
 
Posts: 12683
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:34 pm
Location: The Windy Cape

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby Dubs4Sam » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:42 am

Pudpop wrote:It affects us because he is an option for us to replace Wenger with.

Personally I think he's our best bet



I think Koeman really would be our best bet personally. He plays good football, sets up solid, cool head and tactician.

By the time Wenger is finished his last contract (lets be honest he wont be sacked) Koeman will have another 1.5 years experience in the Premier League. His signings after Southampton have been molested by Liverpool and others have been flawless and they are a side who have to be respected.
Image
User avatar
Dubs4Sam
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 11:00 am
Location: Inside the Know Outside the Comprehension

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby Zedie » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:50 am

Pudpop wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Cripps wrote:What's better?

Aiming for fourth every season as we do and getting it showing no ambition for improvement or aiming higher or the title, not winning it but getting CL qualification anyway cos we finish top 4?


What's the difference?


Signings of intent.


Both end with 4th place. Theres literally no difference how you get there apparently, just where you end up.

We defo need to spend the money we have, there was no reason not to buy a DM, although finding someone better than Giroud and Walcott that didn't involve 60m on a punt was a lot harder than finding a fit, decent aged DM back up to replace arteta and flamini.

Wenger and Co have nowhere to hide on that front, but it still doesn't change the fact that not achieving 4th while spending 270m etc is in no way better than achieving 4th without spending it.


By that logic if a team comes up from the championship and spends 270m over 3 seasons (which is a ridiculous number to use considering how much they made from player sales, but whatever) and just misses 4th they shouldn't be as happy as Barcelona fans if they don't spend any money and finish 4th?


How did you get to talking about a championship team?

We are talking about us, lpool etc.
Image
User avatar
Zedie
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 33184
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:09 pm
Location: in the man cave

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby Zedie » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:55 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Sorry, I really don't see a difference here. If we had spent 300m this summer but ended up 4th, how many of you in here would be going 'ah, at least we tried' at the end of the season?

Buzz words in every post for the summer would include:

4th place trophy
No trophies
Wenger out
No tactics
Specialist in failure
Lost the team
Enya
Midtable club
Scared of success
Should have signed x

'At least we tried' would be labelled an excuse.

4th place after heavily investing would be a step back, not progress.


You don't see how a legitimate title challenge where we just miss out is different from scraping 4th place over Spurs on the last day of the season or finishing 15+ points behind the leader?

For example, in 11/12 Man United missed out on the title based on goal difference, we missed out on it by 19 points. Can you not see how their season was different from ours?


If we challenge for the title and narrowly missed out no one could complain as it would mean we did our best to win it; aiming for 4th from the outset is the problem.

Zedie wrote:4th place after heavily investing would be a step back, not progress.


I think you misunderstood me; I'm not saying we should spend x amount of money and come 4th the same as always, I'm saying if we spent x amount of money we would've challenged for the title and been in the top 4 regardless - we may not have won, but we could finish 2nd or something.

Spending heavily and coming 4th would be pointless; we could do it without spending. If we spent heavily it would be done with the intention of winning the title, and if we fall short, we fall short - but at least we did all we could to win. That's all you can ask.

No level of spending can guarantee you the title, but you can guarantee you'll win nothing if you spend nothing.


The original statement is youd prefer 4th after spending shit loads to 4th after spending nothing because that ambition.

I disagree in that its still 4th and we both know the militant complainers wouldn't all of a sudden ease up on criticism just because we spent a shed load.

As if Liverpool fans are cool because they spent 270m just to waste it on coach loads of poop to replace one player lol

Yup, if wed spent 200m a season every other year and retained players over those years, we'd have more trophies probably, which I'm not actually arguing and fully back. However, at the end of the day, 4th is 4th and fans will react in pretty much the same way.
Image
User avatar
Zedie
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 33184
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:09 pm
Location: in the man cave

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby Pudpop » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:59 am

Highly doubt the fans would react the same way. Would fans still be calling for Kroenke's head if he gave his manager money and demanded he challenge for the title? No.

Pointless argument anyway. Laughable point of view
Image
'The Turkish Diddler' ~ O(z)il on Canvas, © 2017
User avatar
Pudpop
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger
 
Posts: 12683
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:34 pm
Location: The Windy Cape

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby Angelito » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:32 pm

Looks like Klopp to 'Pool is really happening. Great manager for them. Am excited to see how he does. If this means 'Pool in the Top-4 and Chelsea out, yay - as much as I dislike Liverpool. It'd still be naive to write Chelsea off though.
Image
User avatar
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 27226
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: The Overlook Hotel

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby aniym » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:25 pm

Angelito wrote:Looks like Klopp to 'Pool is really happening. Great manager for them. Am excited to see how he does. If this means 'Pool in the Top-4 and Chelsea out, yay - as much as I dislike Liverpool. It'd still be naive to write Chelsea off though.

I hope this will force Wenger to be more aggressive in the transfer market. Pool have had shit managers for over 5 years , so we really haven't had to struggle for 4th place during that time.

Imagine what Klopp could do with 250 million over 3 years.
aniym
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6583
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:43 am

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:18 pm

Zedie wrote:
The original statement is youd prefer 4th after spending shit loads to 4th after spending nothing because that ambition.



No it wasn't. You misunderstood me.

Zedie wrote:
Cripps wrote:What's better?

Aiming for fourth every season as we do and getting it showing no ambition for improvement or aiming higher or the title, not winning it but getting CL qualification anyway cos we finish top 4?


What's the difference?


Signings of intent.


Cripps and I weren't saying we should spend money to come 4th, we were saying if we spent money with a view to winning the title we might be able to and even if we didn't we'd finish in the top 4 regardless.

Don't show ambition = make top 4

Show ambition = potentially win title, worst case scenario we still finish top 4

Difference is without showing ambition top 4 is our maximum, if we showed ambition top 4 would be the minimum - with us wining the title the maximum.
User avatar
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015
 
Posts: 21256
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:01 am

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby elkanofan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:54 pm

UFGN wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Cripps wrote:What's better?

Aiming for fourth every season as we do and getting it showing no ambition for improvement or aiming higher or the title, not winning it but getting CL qualification anyway cos we finish top 4?


What's the difference?


Signings of intent.


Both end with 4th place. Theres literally no difference how you get there apparently, just where you end up.



It's not the same thing.

If we had shown ambition in the past we may have mounted a proper title challenge or maybe even won one (07/08 perhaps when we ran out of steam or 13/14 ).

There would be a lot less angry fans if we actually looked like we were trying our best to win the title and failed instead of clearly doing the bare minimum and aiming for fourth place from the get go.

There is a difference between making 4th place our goal and doing our utmost to win but falling short.


Exactly this.


Whats stopping the fans from instead just hammering wenger or another manager for buying players for lots of money but delivering no trophies?

:think: :dontknow:
Image
User avatar
elkanofan
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger
 
Posts: 13837
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: I'm goin Latin America

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby UFGN » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:08 pm

elkanofan wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Cripps wrote:What's better?

Aiming for fourth every season as we do and getting it showing no ambition for improvement or aiming higher or the title, not winning it but getting CL qualification anyway cos we finish top 4?


What's the difference?


Signings of intent.


Both end with 4th place. Theres literally no difference how you get there apparently, just where you end up.



It's not the same thing.

If we had shown ambition in the past we may have mounted a proper title challenge or maybe even won one (07/08 perhaps when we ran out of steam or 13/14 ).

There would be a lot less angry fans if we actually looked like we were trying our best to win the title and failed instead of clearly doing the bare minimum and aiming for fourth place from the get go.

There is a difference between making 4th place our goal and doing our utmost to win but falling short.


Exactly this.


Whats stopping the fans from instead just hammering wenger or another manager for buying players for lots of money but delivering no trophies?

:think: :dontknow:


If the situation continued for several seasons after high spending then that would become a legitimate concern
Image
User avatar
UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 19
Member of the Year 2014, 19
 
Posts: 19785
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby Maradonna » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:10 pm

love how everyone gives top 4 for granted.
we overachived all this years people, without spending and with teams full of dross and raw players, losing our best players year after year, unable to have any sort of consistency regarding personel, we achieved top 4 every single year.

this place is going to be the laughing stock of the entire Internet when the season finish.
Maradonna
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 6:34 pm
Location: Villa Crespo

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby Arsene Nose » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Rodgers a shout for the England job. Could do decently me thinks. Also worth a few more laughs.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 5540
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:55 pm

Re: Brendan Rodgers sacked

Postby Dubs4Sam » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:38 am

Arsene Nose wrote:Rodgers a shout for the England job. Could do decently me thinks. Also worth a few more laughs.



Yeah because that one and only time in the C/L will give him all the experience he needs for International matches ha ha. #justimagine
Image
User avatar
Dubs4Sam
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2270
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 11:00 am
Location: Inside the Know Outside the Comprehension

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests