Kieran Gibbs joins WBA

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Kieran Gibbs joins WBA

Postby Danskin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

Look, he's starting to piss me off. He had a terrible game today as did the whole back-five but it was not just this match. He has been terrible for some time now. He's very limited going forward, his decision-making in the final third is often quite bad and he's constantly caught out of position. Deffensively, I don't see much either. Some of his approaches are really bad. He doesn't get tight enough. You know, I just don't think he's good enough to be a starter for us and Monreal doesn't really provide much of a competition. He's still young and he's got plenty to learn and all that, but do you think he will ever develop into a world-class left-back or, at the very least, one of the best in the PL? Because at the moment, I don't see that.
Danskin
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: Do you think Gibbs is good enough?

Postby Cripps » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:56 am

I like him but much like the club, he's got stale. Has hit a ceiling on how good he's going to get and he won't break through that under wenger who seems to be happy with mediocre performances from any player.

One of the few in the squad I genuinely like and hope he sticks it out and with wengers demise not far away, he might become awesome.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Luzh 22 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:10 am

I think he's ok. Not consistent enough to be at a top team, neither is he anything special when he performs. He is Arsenal personified.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:13 am

he was our best players today there's and he's our best full back he's definitely good enough

he only gets caught out of position when he has to overcompensate for guys like santi ozil and rosicky who never attack down the wing and cant beat a man without having a diverting run.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Freeloader » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:18 am

Salt and Wenger wrote:he was our best players today there's and he's our best full back he's definitely good enough

he only gets caught out of position when he has to overcompensate for guys like santi ozil and rosicky who never attack down the wing and cant beat a man without having a diverting run.

This guy usually talks shite but he's got it spot on this time. All of our forward players are too similar. Everyone wants to go down the middle. This forces our fullbacks to push up and supply width. Problems occur when our forwards players lose the ball and fullbacks don't have the time or energy to run back. That and our DM's are complete retards who still can't understand the simple concept of providing cover.
Show the spoiler
Wenger? More like w***er, amirite?!?
Freeloader
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ESFSAFC » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:26 am

I do think we ask a lot of Gibbs, he has to join in attack or we don't have anyone over lapping, so obviously gets caught out, I'm not saying he is amazing but I feel he is another player suffering because of our game style and formation.

He has definitely hit a ceiling and his positional sense at times this season has been amateurish at best and for a player of his experience and age is inexcusable. I also don't like that he seems to be the #1 in his position with no real fear of being dropped. At least he seems more resistant to injuries, JINX
ESFSAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Danskin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:31 am

ESFSAFC wrote:I do think we ask a lot of Gibbs, he has to join in attack or we don't have anyone over lapping, so obviously gets caught out, I'm not saying he is amazing but I feel he is another player suffering because of our game style and formation.

He has definitely hit a ceiling and his positional sense at times this season has been amateurish at best and for a player of his experience and age is inexcusable. I also don't like that he seems to be the #1 in his position with no real fear of being dropped. At least he seems more resistant to injuries, JINX

Exactly. That will always be a problem. Monreal has done a decent job this season but he's not really that good. Gibbs needs competition to improve.
Danskin
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:37 am

people keep talking about gibbs positional sense yet

you never see balls played on the inside of him like debucy for example

you never see the ball being switched to his side and him not intercept or head it away

you never see his man unmarked on the far post and he always makes sure that his man doesnt score there

You never see him miss interceptions

what people are referring to when they talk about positioning is not positioning at all it's called being hit on the counter

guess what guys positioning only comes into play once you have transitioned into your defensive shape, the way we play we have no players that slow down opposition transitions which means that our full backs dont have time to get back into position. That isnt gibbs fault because gibbs isnt tasked with slowing down opposition transitions it's a systemic flaw in our style.

Most top teams have full backs overlapping then they will have 2 midfielders slowing down transitions often we have one. Some teams have their wide players sort of cover when a full back is overlapping (ie blocking transitional channels down the wings) but we dont.

What we have is our wide players coming central, our midfielders all attacking bar flamini and flamini doing his worst attempt at slowing down play (just sitting next to our cbs allowing the transition and then doing nothing to slow attacks down, prevent opposition players from turning (a bit like coquelin was doing today) and tackling poorly)

this isnt a positional mistake from gibbs it's far from it he's instructed to be there so that is where he is. If his role is to provide width literally all the way down our left side then he must do that. His role isnt to cause an overload because he's high up the pitch early into our buildup so that is indicative that it is his instruction.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Apollo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:39 am

Gibbs is fine.

He may be frustrating because he is asked to to the job of both a lb and a lw as our width often comes from our fullbacks but he is a solid left back.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby decgooner » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:50 am

He has always been meh. Not a tragic fullback but also nothing special. He would make a perfect backup LB imo.
decgooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Apollo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:55 am

decgooner wrote:He has always been meh. Not a tragic fullback but also nothing special. He would make a perfect backup LB imo.

Still struggle to name many in the league better though, most are on a level.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby yadunoe » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:56 am

I think he is decent he needs to bulk up a bit and improve his decision making in the final third
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby decgooner » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:02 am

Omphi93 wrote:
decgooner wrote:He has always been meh. Not a tragic fullback but also nothing special. He would make a perfect backup LB imo.

Still struggle to name many in the league better though, most are on a level.

I guess that's what makes him "good enough". LB is probably one of the least stocked positions talent-wise in football.
decgooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Sims » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:03 am

I think he's good. Good enough for a team challenging the title imo. 2 solid fullbacks are what you need, and Gibbs is solid.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:56 am

Gibbs for me is a very bland player. Does the minimum but doesn't excel at any one thing - and his attacking contributions over the years have been far too sparce.

Hasn't really progressed much at all, pretty much the same player he was back in 2011 - another one made too comfortable by Wenger safe in the knowledge he won't be dropped.

We could do better, but he really isn't a priority at all - other positions needs to be addressed much more urgently.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Next

Return to Domestic Football