Wayne Rooney becomes England's record goalscorer

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Wayne Rooney becomes England's record goalscorer

Postby Apollo » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:01 am

Had elite potential.
Was a good footballer.

Over the hill, but still did it twice as long as the average Brazilian.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Est83 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:02 am

Remember the Rooney that smashed in volleys from 30 yards?

Seems like a totally different player. They talk about how he's changed into more of a number 10, but he's nothing compared to the best number 10s out there. He should play as one of two strikers, like so many others.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby jmiles10 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:03 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:It really isn't difficult to hit double digits when you're United's striker.

He's a sub 15 goal player most seasons, that is poor.

A lot of times he was a 10 though. 170 in 344 pl is pretty good with that in mind. Plus his assists and work rate he has been productive. He isn't an elite goalscorer but it isn't his whole game.
jmiles10
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Big17 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:53 am

Est83 wrote:Remember the Rooney that smashed in volleys from 30 yards?

Seems like a totally different player. They talk about how he's changed into more of a number 10, but he's nothing compared to the best number 10s out there. He should play as one of two strikers, like so many others.

Yep. Under Fergie I use to fear us playing against him when he was performing week in week out but now i'm not even bothered about him.

What hasn't helped him is the fact Fergie, LVG and Moyes have spent time switching him about in positions when it's clear his best position is as a striker. Remember the season after Ronaldo left and he went on a mad one? I thought he might of become world class then but he hasn't. He's just been a very good/decent player since and is currently the highest paid player at United which he's clearly content with.
Big17
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Sims » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:58 am

Neymar scoring his 45th for Brazil tonight at the age of 23
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Big17 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:06 am

Make that 46. Mans a f***ing madman.
Big17
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Angelito » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:09 am

Tells all that's wrong with the England national team.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Tony Montana » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:30 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:It really isn't difficult to hit double digits when you're United's striker.

He's a sub 15 goal player most seasons, that is poor.

This true.

At 29...he should be at the peak of his career.
WENGER OUT!
Tony Montana
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Angelito » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:31 am

Rooney started as a senior player at the age of 16. He's been playing at the top level for 13 years - 11 of which as a bona fide first-team player.

It's not about how old he is. It's how long. 13 years a long time for a striker. In other positions (GK, CB, and DLP), you may have a longer shelf life, but as a forward, winger, FB, and B2B CM - you don't enjoy such a long career.

Rooney is still fit enough to play, but he's past his prime. SAF even used him as a CM in his final season - tells you all honestly.

Look at Pirlo. He wasn't a first-team player until he was 21/22. He lasted 15 years at the highest level, but that was as a DLP not a winger or a forward. Save for Maldini, I don't think anybody else has had a blistering 18-20 year career in the modern era.

If I remember correctly, Gerrard became a Liverpool regular from 2000. He lasted around 10-12 years as a top player, but was way past his prime during his final 3-4 seasons.

Same with Xavi. Broke in when Pep was hitting the end of his career, but coudn't solidify his status until 2004/2005. Under Pep, he became THE pivot. Again, that's 10 years at the top.

Henry became a legit first-team player when he joined us. Count from 1999 until the Barca treble, that's around 10 years at the top. No wonder he was past his prime when he joined Barca - as good as he still was.

Messi became a regular in 2006 when he was 19. He's 28 now. Looking at how Messi plays, he can still go on and become a DLP in 3-4 years from now. Ronaldo started as a regular in what 2005/2006? He was 20. He's 30 now and his style has changed over the years. He'll go on for another 3-4 years comfortably as a poacher alone.

The thing is when Messi and Ron decline, they'll still continue at their level because they're so above the rest. Rooney doesn't have that liberty and it's showing.

I feel how many years you play at the top level is more important than age. For those who started become regulars in their 20s, they'll have a better body shape than those who started straining themselves in their teenage years.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Trequartista » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:56 am

I think you have a point the Angelito, but at 29 I think Rooney could definitely continue playing for England for another 3 years, at the absolute minimum. Possibly as much as 5. I expect him to add a very significant tally to his total which will make it very hard to surpass.

Who do you guys see that could possibly mount a challenge? Harry Kane might be some people's candidate, but by his age Rooney had already scored 14 goals for England, he's got just 3. Welbeck has a great scoring record for England, and he's still quite young, but this injury might put paid to that, unfortunately. Either way, I don't see a challenge coming any time soon.
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Schlandi » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:53 am

Angelito wrote:Save for Maldini, I don't think anybody else has had a blistering 18-20 year career in the modern era.

Lothar Matthäus ;)

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby JordanTheGunner » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:09 am

Trequartista wrote:I think you have a point the Angelito, but at 29 I think Rooney could definitely continue playing for England for another 3 years, at the absolute minimum. Possibly as much as 5. I expect him to add a very significant tally to his total which will make it very hard to surpass.

Who do you guys see that could possibly mount a challenge? Harry Kane might be some people's candidate, but by his age Rooney had already scored 14 goals for England, he's got just 3. Welbeck has a great scoring record for England, and he's still quite young, but this injury might put paid to that, unfortunately. Either way, I don't see a challenge coming any time soon.

I think Rooney was helped by his early years, he was a first teamer at 16 and cost £26m at 18. He was scoring for fun back, had bags of energy and knew where he was needed, up top as we had Gerrard, Beckham etc in midfield.

Although his goals per game record isn't the best, especially minus the 6 penos he's scored it defo doesn't compare to Jimmy Greaves, Lineker or even Owen.

Fantastic achievement though and I can't see no one beating it for quite some time.
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Trequartista » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:17 am

JordanTheGunner wrote:
Trequartista wrote:I think you have a point the Angelito, but at 29 I think Rooney could definitely continue playing for England for another 3 years, at the absolute minimum. Possibly as much as 5. I expect him to add a very significant tally to his total which will make it very hard to surpass.

I think Rooney was helped by his early years, he was a first teamer at 16 and cost £26m at 18. He was scoring for fun back, had bags of energy and knew where he was needed, up top as we had Gerrard, Beckham etc in midfield.

Although his goals per game record isn't the best, especially minus the 6 penos he's scored it defo doesn't compare to Jimmy Greaves, Lineker or even Owen.

Fantastic achievement though and I can't see no one beating it for quite some time.

Yeah, true. When you look at the team Rooney had around him when he came into the side, An absolutely top-draw defence of Neville, Terry, Campbell, Cole and a midfield that could call of the likes of Beckham, Hargreaves, Lampard, Gerrard, and Scholes, and Micheal Owen to support him upfront. He's now attempting to carry a team which is embarrassing in comparison.
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Cripps » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:22 am

Look at the midfield then and look at them now. Even the defence.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:23 am

Giroud > Rooney

:hiding:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

PreviousNext