New money, the market and the effect on English football

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

New money, the market and the effect on English football

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:01 pm

Now that the premier league has a record amount of money coming in I am wondering how this will affect the so called issue of English players coming into the English game and whether the new money will only make the foreign market more desirable.

There has been a lot of talk about the ability of all clubs to spend with the new deal but another aspect is that they can afford to hold onto their players whereas before they may be more inclined to sell. We are seeing this with Everton now and Stones as they have just rejected a £30m bid. This is Everton as well, a few years ago they would have sold anyone as inexperienced for that amount as they needed the money. Now they can afford to hold on to him if they want or else Chelsea will have to offer bonkers money.

The same thing with Berahino, he has only shown glimpses of being a decent striker yet the asking price is £25m apparently and they are more than happy to keep him. If Kane was to have another great season his asking price will be about £50m, it makes you wonder if £49m for Sterling really is the going rate when you take everything into account. If you suddenly get more money than you ever dreamed just for being in the Premier league why would you sell your stars if you didn't have to? Why would you not ask for the earth? Especially if you know the already rich clubs are now rolling in it like Scroodge Mcduck.

I am thinking that it is only going to push up the price of domestic transfers, especially for English players where the unwritten English tax gets added. The reason I am writing this is because every now and again we get discomfort about the amount of foreign players in the league and the talent pool of English players is thinning compared to 10 - 25 years ago because of the lack of chances. This is allegedly happening because foreign players offer a better bang for your buck rate and that is what is most important to clubs when they are in the market.

I don't really mind, I love the premier league and my passion for England died a long time ago (they used to be the number 1 thing in football beyond all and while I still want them to win they are far far from that now). But many people do still love the England team and really want to see the quality of our team go back to a place where we can play dangerous football and progress in tournaments like it was before.

So is the new money going to raise the prices of domestic transfers to crazy levels permanently? Is it only going to make foreign based players even more attractive leading to more outcries after the next failed England tournament of record breaking percentages across the league?

Is this the best thing for English football both in general and in terms of development of the England international team? Or is the premier league becoming to much of a behemoth?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New money, the market and the effect on English football

Postby jmiles10 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:39 pm

The deal is very good in terms of closing the competition.

The deal won't affect the England team, if stones is worth 30m, sterling 49m, then clubs will try to produce top players and the homegrown rule helps that.

A reason why I am so surprised benik was sold. Even if he wasn't good enough for us he easily has potential to be 10-15m player.
jmiles10
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yorkyblue » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:21 pm

jmiles10 wrote:The deal is very good in terms of closing the competition.

The deal won't affect the England team, if stones is worth 30m, sterling 49m, then clubs will try to produce top players and the homegrown rule helps that.

A reason why I am so surprised benik was sold. Even if he wasn't good enough for us he easily has potential to be 10-15m player.

Oh shit! I'm going out to celebrate! When did City win the Champions League? f**k knows how I missed that!
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby jmiles10 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:20 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:

Oh shit! I'm going out to celebrate! When did City win the Champions League? f**k knows how I missed that!

Wtf?
jmiles10
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yorkyblue » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:31 pm

jmiles10 wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:

Wtf?

We paid the add-ons for Sterling for the champions league he won with us?
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby LMAO » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:55 pm

Pretty soon, we're gonna have clubs like Leicester and Norwich signing players of Dzeko/Krychowiak quality :dizzy:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:13 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
jmiles10 wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:

Wtf?

44m up front, the 5m in add ons is based on appearances - not CL.

The initial add-ons were dependent on City being successful in the Premier League and Champions League, but now City have agreed to pay the additional money when Sterling meets a set number of appearances instead.

He will indeed have cost you 49m at the end of the day.

http://www.espnfc.us/manchester-city/st ... rling-move
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Santi » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:17 pm

lol yorky gets so shitty over the fee, 44m or 49m is still a shitload but either way he'll probably be worth it over time, not sure why you care man
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:17 pm

because yorky always has to be right
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby jmiles10 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:21 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:
jmiles10 wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:

Wtf?

The initial add-ons were dependent on City being successful in the Premier League and Champions League, but now City have agreed to pay the additional money when Sterling meets a set number of appearances instead.

:BangHead:
jmiles10
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:36 pm

Re the issue of English players getting chances;

A key issue is the quality of our lower leagues and non-league set-up versus those in other countries. On the face of it youd have to say that with a footballing infastructure of well over 100 professional clubs, thousands of amature clubs and boys clubs, and football taught in almost all schools, English players have a great chance of playing in the Prem.

So why are foreigners brought in in such large numbers to play football here? With all the opportunities and facilities young English players have, and they have a lot, why are they being out performed by foreign players?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby AAIRE99 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:57 pm

UFGN wrote:Re the issue of English players getting chances;

A key issue is the quality of our lower leagues and non-league set-up versus those in other countries. On the face of it youd have to say that with a footballing infastructure of well over 100 professional clubs, thousands of amature clubs and boys clubs, and football taught in almost all schools, English players have a great chance of playing in the Prem.

So why are foreigners brought in in such large numbers to play football here? With all the opportunities and facilities young English players have, and they have a lot, why are they being out performed by foreign players?

It is pretty simple tbh, South America produce the best players, why?

Because of poverty/struggles in general and having a coaching infrastructure there to bring them through you.
It is the drive of the kids that lets face it British Isles kids dont have because they are at home eating too much or playing PS4.
People need to keep there kids in shape #1 and outside playing etc. If they are good enough they will make it, does La Liga have this issue?
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:53 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:
jmiles10 wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:

Wtf?

Fair enough, never saw that it got changed anywhere before.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Return to Domestic Football