English Premier League ~ Season 2015/2016

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Who will win the EPL 2015/2016?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:50 am

A.F.C. Bournemouth
10%
Arsenal
36%
Chelsea
17%
Everton
1%
Liverpool
No votes
Manchester City
32%
Manchester United
2%
Tottenham Hotspur (Lolz again)
1%
Other
1%

Total votes : 84

Re: English Premier League ~ Season 2015/2016

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:57 pm

Champions are able to gather points even when playing shit, something Chelsea are adept at and did - hence the reason they are champions.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Maradonna » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:57 pm

Mesüt wrote:Btw from Jan:

Arsenal:
P19 Points 42

Chelsea:
P19 Points 41

And they were supposedly in average form? Whilst we were in good form? Even before we played against Chelsea themselves it was:
Arsenal:
P13 Points 33

Chelsea
P13 Points 30

we were searching for points, they were playing safe, hardly a fair comparison.
With an injury free team we can be as good as them, playing a much more interesting and ambitious type of football.
Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Maradonna » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:59 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Champions are able to gather points even when playing shit, something Chelsea are adept at and did - hence the reason they are champions.

we can do that aswell, we have some very good 2-1 results that on previous seasons would have been ties/lost games. leicester comes to mind.
we just need a fit squad.
Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:00 pm

Lol, which team remains injury free?

Deluded fans, you are. When Spurs win the title, you'll still be happy with 4th

Trippier to get 10 assists, Kane to bag 35 goals
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:05 pm

Maradonaitis wrote:

Arsenal:
P19 Points 42

Chelsea:
P19 Points 41

And they were supposedly in average form? Whilst we were in good form? Even before we played against Chelsea themselves it was:
Arsenal:
P13 Points 33

Chelsea
P13 Points 30

With an injury free team we can be as good as them, playing a much more interesting and ambitious type of football.

Maradonaitis wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:Champions are able to gather points even when playing shit, something Chelsea are adept at and did - hence the reason they are champions.

we can do that aswell, we have some very good 2-1 results that on previous seasons would have been ties/lost games. leicester comes to mind.

This is the problem you and Wenger have, we all know a fit squad could blow everyone away and I wouldn't even doubt our strongest first XI (with some element of tactics in away games) being able to win the CL. The problem lies, as I've already said, is when that doesn't happen every single season. Wenger always seems to have this belief that his best players can play 65 games at peak level and stay fit, if they don't then that's why we lose rather than lack of preparation for such a case. I feel like I've said this point at the start of every season and it rings true every time. This season if Giroud or Coq get injured we are well and truly f***ked, I do not believe we can win the league with the replacements we have for those two.

Anyways I said when I started I knew it'd be a dangerous post, not that i'm arsed, never been one for conforming to people's opinions. Votes have been cast how they've cast, points have been made how they've been made and I have no beef with those. Doesn't mean my opinion changes but it also doesn't mean I won't hope in every single game including this bollox game they call the transfer window. Enjoy lads.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:13 pm

To simplify.

No manager can vouch for the fitness of the whole squad.

It is nearly impossible to win the league even if you have the best eleven but not relevant depth.

Injuries have to be accounted in the transfer business especially in crucial areas. For example we have one proper Striker ''Giroud'' and we all saw how wayward we were when he was not in the team at the start of the season. You can make a case for n number of players who can play Strikers but we need at least one more proper Striker as the sheer number of games in four competitions is massive.

Players fighting for positions actually brings out the best out of one another. An in form player on the bench will always spur a player starting in his position to perform better, Giroud literally knew last year that against most oppositions he was going to be our starting Striker.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:18 pm

Mesüt wrote:
Maradonaitis wrote:

Arsenal:
P19 Points 42

Chelsea:
P19 Points 41

Arsenal:
P13 Points 33

Chelsea
P13 Points 30

Maradonaitis wrote:

This is the problem you and Wenger have, we all know a fit squad could blow everyone away and I wouldn't even doubt our strongest first XI (with some element of tactics in away games) being able to win the CL. The problem lies, as I've already said, is when that doesn't happen every single season. Wenger always seems to have this belief that his best players can play 65 games at peak level and stay fit, if they don't then that's why we lose rather than lack of preparation for such a case. I feel like I've said this point at the start of every season and it rings true every time. This season if Giroud or Coq get injured we are well and truly f***ked, I do not believe we can win the league with the replacements we have for those two.

Anyways I said when I started I knew it'd be a dangerous post, not that i'm arsed, never been one for conforming to people's opinions. Votes have been cast how they've cast, points have been made how they've been made and I have no beef with those. Doesn't mean my opinion changes but it also doesn't mean I won't hope in every single game including this bollox game they call the transfer window. Enjoy lads.

Good post!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:20 pm

Mesüt wrote:
Zedie wrote:

Arsenal:
P19 Points 42

Chelsea:
P19 Points 41

Arsenal:
P13 Points 33

Chelsea
P13 Points 30

You watched the games. You saw how they struggled but still won (needing massive gifts on quite a few games).

You also saw some excellent form for that period and a nose dive right at the end when all was lost.

Why post points tallies and claim that they were neck and neck with our form?

You wouldn't be posting how well we were playing If we went through a patch scraping wins by the skin of our teeth, why do it for Chelsea?

Where did I say they played well? Form is picking up points, something which we can't do over a whole season while they can ? :dontknow: :dontknow:

Tbf I associate good form as playing well, others will look at it from a numbers point solely, although the definition of form is results like you said.

Ie, we could win 5 games profiting from a completey wrong penalty in each game and multiple reds in our favour, I wouldn't class it as good form.

spose the difference between me and you is that you look at those numbers and can't see us replicating it over a whole season and Chelsea failing to replicate it for the majority.

I see us having a better injury record at least one season very soon that will allow us to win the games we need for the title and I also see frailties in Chelsea that were masked up by points tallies, when it was pretty clear huge slices of luck and gamesmanship on a grand scale contributed heavily to getting them quite a few of those points.

TLDR - the gap in quality and ability between us and Chelsea is no longer as big as people like to think.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Maradonna » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:21 pm

Zedie wrote:TLDR - the gap in quality and ability between us and Chelsea is no longer as big as people like to think.

that is the most important thing atm.
Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:23 pm

Maradonaitis wrote:
Zedie wrote:TLDR - the gap in quality and ability between us and Chelsea is no longer as big as people like to think.

Which makes it the best time to bridge it.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:41 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:
Maradonaitis wrote:

Which makes it the best time to bridge it.

Indeed.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Massa » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:47 pm

we still had several very poor performances in 2015. i think our impressive fa cup win is the only game fresh in our minds. people are wrong if they think we can win the title with this current squad
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Maradonna » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:50 pm

Massa wrote:we still had several very poor performances in 2015. i think our impressive fa cup win is the only game fresh in our minds. people are wrong if they think we can win the title with this current squad

we had very good games last season.
city both home and away.
Liverpool home.
United away FA cup
West ham, Aston Villa
Leicester home

We had our setbacks (monaco home the clearest one) but we do have enough sheet to fight for the title.
Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Santi » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Zedie wrote:
Mesüt wrote:
Zedie wrote:

Arsenal:
P19 Points 42

Chelsea:
P19 Points 41

Arsenal:
P13 Points 33

Chelsea
P13 Points 30

You watched the games. You saw how they struggled but still won (needing massive gifts on quite a few games).

You also saw some excellent form for that period and a nose dive right at the end when all was lost.

Why post points tallies and claim that they were neck and neck with our form?

You wouldn't be posting how well we were playing If we went through a patch scraping wins by the skin of our teeth, why do it for Chelsea?

Where did I say they played well? Form is picking up points, something which we can't do over a whole season while they can ? :dontknow: :dontknow:

Tbf I associate good form as playing well, others will look at it from a numbers point solely, although the definition of form is results like you said.

Ie, we could win 5 games profiting from a completey wrong penalty in each game and multiple reds in our favour, I wouldn't class it as good form.

spose the difference between me and you is that you look at those numbers and can't see us replicating it over a whole season and Chelsea failing to replicate it for the majority.

I see us having a better injury record at least one season very soon that will allow us to win the games we need for the title and I also see frailties in Chelsea that were masked up by points tallies, when it was pretty clear huge slices of luck and gamesmanship on a grand scale contributed heavily to getting them quite a few of those points.

TLDR - the gap in quality and ability between us and Chelsea is no longer as big as people like to think.

:hands:

How to disagree with someone but discuss it in a constructive manner, nice to see. I said earlier if we have those slices of luck, whether it be a dodgy pen, Coquelin staying awesome and fit, Ramsey performing at 2013-14 level, then we have a chance but it means us getting the luck for once in addition to us playing well and other teams not doing. If we make the right signings we may only need 75% of the stars to align than all of them. Anyway just wanted to reply as appreciated your post :)

:1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Apollo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:54 pm

The only difference between a cup win and a league win is consistency.

Of course we CAN win the league with this squad.

The idea that a squad goes from NOT at all being able to win the league to being able to win the league with a couple signings, famous two signings away quote, is laughable.

Will we win, maybe.

Can we win, certainly.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football