English Football Transfer Rumours & Deals (Non-Arsenal)

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: English Football Transfer Rumours and Deals (Non-Arsenal

Postby Callum » Thu May 07, 2015 5:38 pm

Massa wrote:LvG is building a good squad. Don't know much about Depay but Gundogan is a quality signing. Playing the likes of Young and Fellaini was a temporary solution to their disjointed football. A Carrick/Herrrera/Gundogan midfield is very strong, as is a Depay/Rooney/Di Maria or Mata frontline

Don't think they've got Gundogan just yet btw but yes, it does look very likely.

The scary thing about United is that they can just keep spending and spending. Unlike Liverpool and Spurs, who blew all their Suarez and Bale money and are left with the duds they got, United can afford to blow another £100m this summer if they need. They spend something around £15-20m just to have Falcao for a season and di Maria hasn't been worth the £60m they paid. It's almost irrelevant though - if you keep throwing enough money at a problem eventually you'll solve it. Gonna be really tough to try and win the league in the next few years with them, Chelsea and City all having the upper hand financially (although we are still in a very good position ourselves).
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Thu May 07, 2015 5:53 pm

Callum wrote:It's almost irrelevant though - if you keep throwing enough money at a problem eventually you'll solve it.

Sad but very true. Chelsea = prime example
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby elkanofan » Thu May 07, 2015 5:58 pm

Zenith wrote:How can people even rate a player they know nothing about apart form stats? Lol. Dries Mertens had much better goal+assist rate and he's rather average. Eredivisie has hit what is arguably its all-time low and stats are very misleading - even Ajax are shocking nowadays with their salary cap policy. Terrific young athlete though, good dribbler and has a powerful strike on him but it all remains to be seen if he can also do it on the big stage against teams that actually know how to defend. Will also have to up his general play because even for Eredivisie standards it leaves a lot to be desired.

Am i right in saying the Netherlands might actually be jumped by the Belgian league in the co-efficient ranking next season?

Belgian football has improved a little bit, just a tad, its producing a lot of very good players although they all move early overseas. the league is still 2nd, 3rd rate as it always has been.

The dutch league though has been truly shocking in Europe for many a year!
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby sohi420 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:19 pm

They have got a quality player, and a young one too. They can easily recoup the money if things don't work out. Very good signing for them. They will be serious contenders if they get Hummels and Gundogan as well.

P.S. lol @ Liverpool, nobody wants to sign for them. The list keeps on growing. Costa, Willian, Sanchez, Depay, etc lol. And they were thinking they are up there with us as a club.
#WengerOut
sohi420
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Tarquinius » Thu May 07, 2015 6:38 pm

I've seen Depay play in the Eredivisie almost every weekend and he isn't overhyped. How does one overhype someone with that many goals (and assists) from the left wing? At 21 he is one of the brightest young players out there and wasn't nominated for best young player at the world cup (with Pogba and Varane) for nothing. The dutch league may be inferior to the EPL and others but that's why he's leaving - the same reason the likes of RVP, Eriksen and Suarez left.

He isn't the finished article especially around his decision making - can be summed up as pass/cross/dribble/shoot i.e. he often does one when the other is the better course of action - but he's just turned 21. Stuff like his dribbling skills are easily transferable wherever he goes - you don't just lose the ability to beat defenders because they play for Hull and not Ajax.

I've been desperate for him to sign for Arsenal as anyone would know from my repeated Depay mentions, so very cross about this! Great signing for United though. I'm a huge fan so I hope he does well in the EPL, but at the same time I don't want him to as he'll be playing for a rival club! Aarrgh!
Tarquinius
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu May 07, 2015 6:41 pm

For someone who watches him every week, I'd of thought you would be calling him Memphis as he's actually known. :lol:
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Tarquinius » Thu May 07, 2015 6:42 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:For someone who watches him every week, I'd of thought you would be calling him Memphis as he's actually known. :lol:

Shows how little you watch the dutch league. He wants to be known as Memphis but everyone calls him Depay :lol:

Hilarious comment.
Tarquinius
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu May 07, 2015 6:44 pm

Everyone? :lol: What about his club?

Hilarious comment.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Tarquinius » Thu May 07, 2015 6:51 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:Everyone? :lol: What about his club?

Hilarious comment.

Not really sure what point you're trying to make.

Alexis Sanchez, Wilifred Bony - examples of players who have their first names on their shirts for one reason or other, but are referred to by their surnames just like everyone else. Depay is the same - his shirt says Memphis but everyone calls him Depay. Which you'd know if you watched the Eredivisie.
Tarquinius
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu May 07, 2015 6:52 pm

PSV call him Memphis.

And I don't watch it. I never said I did. :lol:

I've got much more interest in the Scottish Championship.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby realtalk » Thu May 07, 2015 9:29 pm

that janaguy must be leaving some one will pay 8-10 mill for him.
realtalk
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby AAIRE99 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:23 pm

Callum wrote:
Massa wrote:LvG is building a good squad. Don't know much about Depay but Gundogan is a quality signing. Playing the likes of Young and Fellaini was a temporary solution to their disjointed football. A Carrick/Herrrera/Gundogan midfield is very strong, as is a Depay/Rooney/Di Maria or Mata frontline

Don't think they've got Gundogan just yet btw but yes, it does look very likely.

The scary thing about United is that they can just keep spending and spending. Unlike Liverpool and Spurs, who blew all their Suarez and Bale money and are left with the duds they got, United can afford to blow another £100m this summer if they need. They spend something around £15-20m just to have Falcao for a season and di Maria hasn't been worth the £60m they paid. It's almost irrelevant though - if you keep throwing enough money at a problem eventually you'll solve it. Gonna be really tough to try and win the league in the next few years with them, Chelsea and City all having the upper hand financially (although we are still in a very good position ourselves).

With FFP City are almost blitzed right? Chelsea took care of FFP smartly before it came in which has become apparently clear now.
The Premier League has never been tougher that's for sure. Ive been watching since day 1.
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby AAIRE99 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:24 pm

realtalk wrote:that janaguy must be leaving some one will pay 8-10 mill for him.

Im presuming you mean Januzaj and in the current market hes worth more than that. It would be stupid to allow him to leave unless on loan.
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Zenith » Thu May 07, 2015 10:53 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Zenith wrote:How can people even rate a player they know nothing about apart form stats? Lol. Dries Mertens had much better goal+assist rate and he's rather average. Eredivisie has hit what is arguably its all-time low and stats are very misleading - even Ajax are shocking nowadays with their salary cap policy. Terrific young athlete though, good dribbler and has a powerful strike on him but it all remains to be seen if he can also do it on the big stage against teams that actually know how to defend. Will also have to up his general play because even for Eredivisie standards it leaves a lot to be desired.

Am i right in saying the Netherlands might actually be jumped by the Belgian league in the co-efficient ranking next season?

Belgian football has improved a little bit, just a tad, its producing a lot of very good players although they all move early overseas. the league is still 2nd, 3rd rate as it always has been.

Yes it's possible since the Eredivisie has been dropping and Belgium the opposite and if Ajax continues with their current policy; salary cap and relying mainly on youth players the situation will not get better for them. Having said that Ajax and PSV are still a lot stronger financially than clubs like Bruges, Genk, Gent, Liège, etc so I don't think it will happen and even if it did it it would only be a matter of time before Netherlands will bounce back but it's fair to say the gulf in quality between two leagues has decreased massively over the last 10 years, the last 4 in particular. The main reason for that is Anderlecht's, Bruges', Genk and Beerschot's and Standard's excellent youth systems. Anderlecht in particular.

the league is still 2nd, 3rd rate as it always has been.

It's been like that for many years and it still is but it hasn't always been that way.

During the late '70s and early '80s the Pro League UEFA coefficent rank was 3rd best in Europe. Mainly down to Anderlecht winning the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup during the 1975-76 and 1977-78 seasons (only Barcelona has won it more) as well as winning the UEFA Super Cup in '76 & '78 and the UEFA Cup during the '82-83 season. It's not very known amongst most younger fans but Anderlecht were a real force back then mate.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby elkanofan » Thu May 07, 2015 11:06 pm

Zenith wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

Yes it's possible since the Eredivisie has been dropping and Belgium the opposite and if Ajax continues with their current policy; salary cap and relying mainly on youth players the situation will not get better for them. Having said that Ajax and PSV are still a lot stronger financially than clubs like Bruges, Genk, Gent, Liège, etc so I don't think it will happen and even if it did it it would only be a matter of time before Netherlands will bounce back but it's fair to say the gulf in quality between two leagues has decreased massively over the last 10 years, the last 4 in particular. The main reason for that is Anderlecht's, Bruges', Genk and Beerschot's and Standard's excellent youth systems. Anderlecht in particular.

the league is still 2nd, 3rd rate as it always has been.

It's been like that for many years and it still is but it hasn't always been that way.

During the late '70s and early '80s the Pro League UEFA coefficent rank was 3rd best in Europe. Mainly down to Anderlecht winning the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup during the 1975-76 and 1977-78 seasons (only Barcelona has won it more) as well as winning the UEFA Super Cup in '76 & '78 and the UEFA Cup during the '82-83 season. It's not very known amongst most younger fans but Anderlecht were a real force back then mate.

Says it all when Kazim-Richards is playing up front for Feyenoord, a guy who was playing at Blackburn two years ago and has been lost in the football wilderness last year.

Nice you mentioned Anderlect int he 70's and 80's since it no surprise to me they where good, Belgium where great at the 1982 and especially 1986 world cup finishing 4th (or 3rd, not sure). Somebody was questioning Pele's legacy saying he played his whole career in the Brazilian league, but at that time in the 60's that was the best league I the world if you totted up the talent there, it was an era ulike now where there are 2-3 elite leagues and the rest a substandard, it was a era where every domestic league had talent and dross.

These where times when a league represented the strength of the national team.

This salary cap, how bad is it exactly?
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football