Re: Theo Walcott announces retirement from football

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Theo Walcott

Postby Phil71 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Ach wrote:
Alan Hansen has admitted to one regret during his time as a pundit, but it is not for the comment that most famously haunted him.

The Match of the Day analyst ended his 22 year career with the BBC after the World Cup, making his last match the final between Germany and Argentina.

Over such a long period of time inevitably mistakes were made but Hansen has only one regret from his career analysing matches. But it wasn't his claim that you cannot win anything with kids, a view rubbished when the Manchester United team he was talking about went on to carry the Red Devils through the most glorious years in the club's history.

The former Liverpool defender revealed in his column for The Telegraph that it was his criticism of Theo Walcott that troubled him.

"Four years ago, I said that Theo Walcott did not have a "football brain", without realising that my comments would be misinterpreted to such an extent," he wrote in his column.

"The meaning of my observation was not as brutal as it may have come across, but nonetheless, I was critical of Walcott’s ability and I am pleased to say that Theo has proved me wrong one million per cent."

Hansen went on to reveal that he and Walcott have met since and there has not been a problem between them whilst conceding his comments were "the only time that I have ever been happy to be wrong".

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 08074.html

He realised he was clearly wrong and thatsbfair enough. Unfortunately it stuck and people were mocked cos of it by myself and others who understands football.

Thank you. It was utter rubbish and the guy that said has even admitted Walcott has proven his wrong time and time again. I can't stand the way our own fans latched on to this rubbish.

He's a 2nd rate player like all the 2nd rate players we've had in the past 10-15 years.

The fact that he' not good enough for Everton and is on loan at Southampton is testament to that.

I don't care where you rate Theo as a player. He'll divide opinion. I liked him despite the limitations and he was good servant to the club.

The issue here is 'footballing intelligence' and how that phrase was thrown around to berate one of our own. Hansen has admitted he was wrong and was proven wrong by Theo on many occasions. As Ach said, most fans are just sheep and went along with it and didn't stop to assess things for themselves.

I don't even remember Hansen saying those things. I made my own mind up about Walcott.

He's not a natural thinker on the pitch, and mentally is not on the same level as naturally intelligent players that we've had over the years like Wright, Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Adams, Campbell, Ozil and others - top rate players who just know where to position themselves at which times and what another player is going to do - be they our players or the opposition's.

I'm not doubting his service to the club. All I'm saying is he wasn't a good enough player if we wanted to win anything big. Neither were a lot of players we've had in the past 10 years and more. Second rate.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:06 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Ach wrote:
Alan Hansen has admitted to one regret during his time as a pundit, but it is not for the comment that most famously haunted him.

The Match of the Day analyst ended his 22 year career with the BBC after the World Cup, making his last match the final between Germany and Argentina.

Over such a long period of time inevitably mistakes were made but Hansen has only one regret from his career analysing matches. But it wasn't his claim that you cannot win anything with kids, a view rubbished when the Manchester United team he was talking about went on to carry the Red Devils through the most glorious years in the club's history.

The former Liverpool defender revealed in his column for The Telegraph that it was his criticism of Theo Walcott that troubled him.

"Four years ago, I said that Theo Walcott did not have a "football brain", without realising that my comments would be misinterpreted to such an extent," he wrote in his column.

"The meaning of my observation was not as brutal as it may have come across, but nonetheless, I was critical of Walcott’s ability and I am pleased to say that Theo has proved me wrong one million per cent."

Hansen went on to reveal that he and Walcott have met since and there has not been a problem between them whilst conceding his comments were "the only time that I have ever been happy to be wrong".

He realised he was clearly wrong and thatsbfair enough. Unfortunately it stuck and people were mocked cos of it by myself and others who understands football.

Thank you. It was utter rubbish and the guy that said has even admitted Walcott has proven his wrong time and time again. I can't stand the way our own fans latched on to this rubbish.

He's a 2nd rate player like all the 2nd rate players we've had in the past 10-15 years.

The fact that he' not good enough for Everton and is on loan at Southampton is testament to that.

I don't care where you rate Theo as a player. He'll divide opinion. I liked him despite the limitations and he was good servant to the club.

The issue here is 'footballing intelligence' and how that phrase was thrown around to berate one of our own. Hansen has admitted he was wrong and was proven wrong by Theo on many occasions. As Ach said, most fans are just sheep and went along with it and didn't stop to assess things for themselves.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Ach wrote:

I don't even remember Hansen saying those things. I made my own mind up about Walcott.

He's not a natural thinker on the pitch, and mentally is not on the same level as naturally intelligent players that we've had over the years like Wright, Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Adams, Campbell, Ozil and others - top rate players who just know where to position themselves at which times and what another player is going to do - be they our players or the opposition's.

I'm not doubting his service to the club. All I'm saying is he wasn't a good enough player if we wanted to win anything big. Neither were a lot of players we've had in the past 10 years and more. Second rate.

I remember when Chris Waddle said it and how often it was repeated after. I also remember Wrighty's strong defence of Walcott and Wenger constantly talking up Theo's intelligent movement off the ball.

You don't score that amount of goals without having some form of footballing intelligence. He's one of our top goal scorers of all time and he's a winger. His movement, anticipation, reading of the game has to be sharp in order to be in position to score. He played like a number 9, penalty box striker but because of his small stature and pace, he was played out on the wings which always meant he'd be judged on his skillset as a winger instead of his skillset as a striker. If he were over 6 foot, he'd have been developed as a number 9 striker instead of winger.

How exactly do you quantify 'natural intelligence' in a footballer and a 'natural thinker'? How are you able to see what they're thinking? You should check for Bergkamp's interviews where he talks though his goals or any player just talking about the goals they've scored. It's just speed of thought, reacting and having the actual technique to pull it off. Sometimes, they struggle to explain it themselves and it's just instinct and reacting as a situation develops.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:57 pm

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/amp/features/dennis-bergkamp-newcastle-goal-2002-arsenal-meant-it-premier-league

Bergkamp talking through his Newcastle goal.

“The week after that goal, ‘Did you really mean it?’ was the question everyone was asking me,” Bergkamp told FFT.

“I couldn’t understand what people meant by the question. I didn’t see the goal on television for several days, and so many people were asking me that I thought, ‘OK, I have to see what they saw’.
“I watched it back, and then I could understand what they meant.

"The pass from Pires was slightly behind me and I was adjusting myself to the situation, because I wanted to go through on goal with one touch. I touched the ball, but my body was already turning the other way, so it looked quite good!

“For many goals, players just decide at the last moment what they’re going to do. That was the same with me. I’m glad it looked like that, and that everyone is still talking about it today
.”
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Nuggets » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:13 pm

Power n Glory wrote:https://www.fourfourtwo.com/amp/features/dennis-bergkamp-newcastle-goal-2002-arsenal-meant-it-premier-league

Bergkamp talking through his Newcastle goal.

“The week after that goal, ‘Did you really mean it?’ was the question everyone was asking me,” Bergkamp told FFT.

“I couldn’t understand what people meant by the question. I didn’t see the goal on television for several days, and so many people were asking me that I thought, ‘OK, I have to see what they saw’.
“I watched it back, and then I could understand what they meant.

"The pass from Pires was slightly behind me and I was adjusting myself to the situation, because I wanted to go through on goal with one touch. I touched the ball, but my body was already turning the other way, so it looked quite good!

“For many goals, players just decide at the last moment what they’re going to do. That was the same with me. I’m glad it looked like that, and that everyone is still talking about it today
.”

Now that's what you call a legend, that was a sublime goal, we won't see this likes of that from this lot that's for sure.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Zenith » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:32 pm

Theo Walcott: former Arsenal and England forward retires from football

• Walcott also played for Southampton and Everton
• ‘I want to experience life,’ says former forward aged 34

Theo Walcott has retired from professional football at the age of 34. The forward has ended his 18-year senior career after playing more than 560 games for Southampton, Arsenal and Everton, scoring 129 goals.

“I’m officially going to be hanging up my boots. It’s very scary, I can’t lie,” Walcott told Gary Neville on The Overlap podcast. Walcott hangs up his boots after making 397 Premier League appearances.

“It’s scary because football’s all I’ve known from the age of 16 or even younger. I want to try new things I never experienced as a kid – I missed out on a lot. I just feel like I want to experience life – things [usually] revolve around football for me.”

He was famously named in Sven-Göran Eriksson’s squad for the 2006 World Cup without having played for England and holds the record of being England men’s youngest player. Walcott also became the youngest player to claim an England men’s hat-trick at the age of 19, against Croatia under Fabio Capello in 2008, and scored eight goals in 47 appearances for his country.

“The first moment I put my football boots on aged 10, was the start of a special journey for me,” Walcott wrote on Instagram. “The support shown to me throughout this time has been incredible in every way imaginable and I am truly grateful. I’ve shared the football pitch with so many incredible players and we have created so many unforgettable memories.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/vi ... ball-video

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Re: Re: Theo Walcott announces retirement from football

Postby Ach » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:36 pm

One of our favourites in the Emirates era

It's a shame injuries took it's toll
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:44 pm

Hope he enjoys retirement. Underrated player who was at the top level from age 16. His legs woukdve been gone by 28/29 even without the injuries.

Shame he had to score his last ever professional goal against us :rofll:
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Marsbar100 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:54 pm

Very good player, would have been top notch without injuries
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:07 pm

Good luck to Theo
So many great Arsenal moments.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby UFGN » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:18 pm

He's still young. Give him time, he'll improve
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby VCC » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:12 pm

Would have been more talked about should he had played for a manager who knew how to use his pace in his prime.
We had the quickest front line in football at one stage and no clue how to use it
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Goonerred » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:19 am

VCC wrote:Would have been more talked about should he had played for a manager who knew how to use his pace in his prime.
We had the quickest front line in football at one stage and no clue how to use it

You're probably right. I always felt a bit sorry for Theo, he went to a world cup at age 16 or 17 when he shouldn't have been included and never played, didn't go in 2010 when he should have, Capello admits he should have taken him. Wasn't selected for the 2014 squad.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:29 am

I'm still waiting for himto turn into a world class centre forward like Wenger said he would...
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Goonerred » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:33 am

He had his moments for both Arsenal and England.
Goonerred

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club