Re: Theo Walcott announces retirement from football

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Theo Walcott (14)

Postby Mike Dean » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:00 am

Mustafi wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Mustafi wrote:Can someone (starman) please compare between Theo and Welbz regarding the numbers of goals coming off the bench in how many games/minutes? I do suspect that Welbz is more effective as a sub

Premier league minutes off the bench
Walcott
1882 mins
7 goals
12 assists
Goal every 269 mins
Involvement every 99 mins

Welbeck 340 mins
1 goal
0 assists
Goal every 340 mins
Involvement every 340 mins

Thanks. Both are shit then. Giroud is the only real supersub then.
Theo and Welbz can leave the team, for all I care. Give their places in the team to Iwobi and Nelson or other youngsters. They won't be worse

Exactly what I have been saying.

Lacazette as our main striker with Giroud off bench. Giroud has already proven he can big a difference off the bench and gives us a good tactical option.

It makes no sense to play Walcott and Welbeck because we know they are limited and are not getting any younger. They can't be fixed. If they could be then it would have been done years ago.

Like you said, those minutes should be invested on our younger or newly aquired players that actually give you a chance that they will grow as a player.

The case of Welbeck is especially clear cut. He is absolute dog as a sub and is no where the quality you need as a starter for a side that is trying to win the league. So where does that leave him? Hopefully gone to some mid or lower tier club in the league where he belongs.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ESR10 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:56 am

Mike Dean wrote:
Mustafi wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Mustafi wrote:Can someone (starman) please compare between Theo and Welbz regarding the numbers of goals coming off the bench in how many games/minutes? I do suspect that Welbz is more effective as a sub

Premier league minutes off the bench
Walcott
1882 mins
7 goals
12 assists
Goal every 269 mins
Involvement every 99 mins

Welbeck 340 mins
1 goal
0 assists
Goal every 340 mins
Involvement every 340 mins

Thanks. Both are shit then. Giroud is the only real supersub then.
Theo and Welbz can leave the team, for all I care. Give their places in the team to Iwobi and Nelson or other youngsters. They won't be worse

Exactly what I have been saying.

Lacazette as our main striker with Giroud off bench. Giroud has already proven he can big a difference off the bench and gives us a good tactical option.

It makes no sense to play Walcott and Welbeck because we know they are limited and are not getting any younger. They can't be fixed. If they could be then it would have been done years ago.

Like you said, those minutes should be invested on our younger or newly aquired players that actually give you a chance that they will grow as a player.

The case of Welbeck is especially clear cut. He is absolute dog as a sub and is no where the quality you need as a starter for a side that is trying to win the league. So where does that leave him? Hopefully gone to some mid or lower tier club in the league where he belongs.

Very agreed
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:33 am

.............. but that takes us back to the original argument.

If you take Welbeck and Walcott out of the equation what are we left with ........ only Iwobi?

If Sanchez goes Iwobi would be starting ffs with practically no 2nd option.

Forget getting rid of senior players .......... we need to sign someone first, then we can talk about selling deadwood.

No Lemar, no Mahrez, you want us to go into the season with just Iwobi?

In fact there's no back up for either Iwobi or Ozil, even if Sanchez stays Iwobi becomes our default sub for both of them.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby ESR10 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:54 am

If both Theo and Welbz left Lucas, Ox, Iwobi and the youngsters can be Ozils and Sanchez' backups. I think this is an improvement tbh, even without bringing anyone new in.
ESR10

Postby MesutOzil11 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:20 am

DiamondGooner wrote:.............. but that takes us back to the original argument.

If you take Welbeck and Walcott out of the equation what are we left with ........ only Iwobi?

If Sanchez goes Iwobi would be starting ffs with practically no 2nd option.

Forget getting rid of senior players .......... we need to sign someone first, then we can talk about selling deadwood.

No Lemar, no Mahrez, you want us to go into the season with just Iwobi?

In fact there's no back up for either Iwobi or Ozil, even if Sanchez stays Iwobi becomes our default sub for both of them.

Whilst I agree that we should definitely bring a winger in, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having Iwobi, Nelson and Niles as back up.

We should definitely fast track Nelson. Why not? He's look like an absolute talent and has impressed.

We won't miss Theo's 10 meaningless PL goals and those taps ins against Southampton and Non league teams.

Welbeck, whatever. He can very useful at times though.

Bring some new, fresh, unpredictable and hungry youngsters in!
MesutOzil11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Cripps » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:02 pm

Mustafi wrote:If both Theo and Welbz left Lucas, Ox, Iwobi and the youngsters can be Ozils and Sanchez' backups. I think this is an improvement tbh, even without bringing anyone new in.

Our youngsters aren't very good and nowhere near ready enough. Ox and iwobi aren't better than Theo.

This isn't me being a theo fan, it's stating fact.

19 goals compared to whatever those two bring, well it's not even close. If we sell Theo, we need to buy and get a 20 goal winger in for an improvement.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerBeatYa » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Mustafi wrote:If both Theo and Welbz left Lucas, Ox, Iwobi and the youngsters can be Ozils and Sanchez' backups. I think this is an improvement tbh, even without bringing anyone new in.

+1

" I eat football. Sleep football. I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate."
- Thierry Henry
GoonerBeatYa
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:17 pm

GoonerBeatYa wrote:

+1

This

Theo's shit, if you're worried about goals, Perez has done far better.
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby MesutOzil11 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:21 pm

GoonerAlexis wrote:
GoonerBeatYa wrote:

+1

This

Theo's shit, if you're worried about goals, Perez has done far better.

Yup
MesutOzil11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Cripps » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:22 pm

7 is better than 19 I guess.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:39 pm

I like Perez and feel he absolutely would be suited to back up on those two forward positions but Ox is not a great goal threat and both he and Perez have one foot out the door.

The position we're in we may not even have Perez or Ox when the season starts so then what .........

Imagine the very possible scenario of going into next season without .........

Sanchez, Ox, Perez and on top of that some of you are saying Theo and Welbeck?

Sanchez regardless, we are then left with Iwobi, I like Iwobi but is he really going to be the only viable back up for both Ozil and Sanchez?

MesutOzil011 saying Niles and co is ridiculous for first team consideration, they are Carling Cup / FA Cup worthy at best at this point.

How many times have our Akpom's, Bendtners, Frimpongs etc looked good in Cup competitions but against Chelsea, City, Liverpool in the league?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby MesutOzil11 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:03 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

MesutOzil011 saying Niles and co is ridiculous for first team consideration, they are Carling Cup / FA Cup worthy at best at this point.

So? All young players are different. It's far from a ridiculous suggestion.

Look at Kane, Rashford, Bellerin, Alli, Davies ect

You throw them in at the deep end. See what happens and it could just pay off.

The majority would much rather see exciting, young and hungry prospects over the predictable ghosting of Theo.
MesutOzil11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Jedi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Nobody will leave except Perez imo
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:18 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

I like Perez and feel he absolutely would be suited to back up on those two forward positions but Ox is not a great goal threat and both he and Perez have one foot out the door.

The position we're in we may not even have Perez or Ox when the season starts so then what .........

Imagine the very possible scenario of going into next season without .........

Sanchez, Ox, Perez and on top of that some of you are saying Theo and Welbeck?

Sanchez regardless, we are then left with Iwobi, I like Iwobi but is he really going to be the only viable back up for both Ozil and Sanchez?

How many times have our Akpom's, Bendtners, Frimpongs etc looked good in Cup competitions but against Chelsea, City, Liverpool in the league?

Or we could sell Theo and tell Perez you're firmly the main backup and will get time every game as a sub at the very least.
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:37 pm

Anybody who saw Maitland-Niles being violated innumerable times and the way he was caught totally clueless would never recommend him part of First team squad let alone a place on the bench and the less spoken of him breaking regularly in to the first eleven the better
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club