Re: Theo Walcott announces retirement from football

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Theo Walcott (14)

Postby Cripps » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:59 am

gooney wrote:
Cripps wrote:Xhaka and Santi are lauded on here for sideways and backwards passes

Give me Theos end product over pointless passing every single time.

Give him a decent striker like I don't know RVP he will get assists and goals as proven. Give him Giroud? Need I say more?

And this footballing brain or lack of about Theo all started when Hansen said it on MOTD and that was done and dusted when he made a grovelling apology and was forced in to retirement

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 08074.html

Unfortunately the footballing brain thing has stuck with haters who do not understand the concept of football. Its a simple one. Score more goals than the other team. Now passing pointlessly and running around aimlessly (working hard, hi Welbeck) is all good and well. We'd all take goals over that? Yes? Am I wrong? Please tell me if I am.

EK blaming Theo for us being so shit in the league and CL comes from his hatred which he just admitted so no point talking to him about Theo anymore. Hes rarely if ever been right in this topic.

As ive always said, find me a winger who gets as good as numbers as Theo and whos available then by all means get him. Sell Theo. I don't give a shit about passing, keeping possession whatever, since when are wingers judged on that? Maybe Pires and Freddie were the wrong players, I should've said Overmars. Now he must be hated on here.

And btw I don't for a second think Theo is better than any of them. I watched these players play when many on here were still in nappies and loved them all. Overmars from his Ajax days.

The hate Theo gets on here is hilariously funny and ridiculous and has been shot down by myself and others many a time. Agendas galore on here. We've had people say Nelson is better. Who the f**k is Nelson?

To reiterate, the criticism of Theo is baseless and boring. Ask GA how he got ripped apart end of 15/16 season cos of this jumping over the tackle malarkey, ask him about his logic he used and got ripped apart on. Ask MO11 or whatever he is called these days how many name changes hes undertaken to try and save the humiliation he has faced, most on Theo. All this boring criticism comes from people who don't understand the game. I laugh at them and when I deem it necessary and I shut them down.

I haven't even mentioned Gooneys hatred ffs

Like I said, baseless and boring. Why don't we criticise other players for something that's not their job? I don't know for example, Cech is shit cos he doesn't score. Um Alexis is shit cos hes a shit keeper. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Damn right it is. Put the theo criticism in the same bracket.

And just cos there are a lot of posters on here who don't like Theo doesn't make them right. Like I said, Agendasweb is a good name for this thread

the fact that you would take theo walcott over someone like cazorla says so much about you. Thats criminal imo and the fact that you cant see the different things they bring to the team and which one has more value proves my point once again. You are the least knowledgeable football fan in UK

Least knowledgeable cos I prefer end product over passing? Lol ok

How's Ryo miyachi doing? Tell me again how I'm the least knowledgeable
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:02 am

Mike Dean wrote:Santi going down was the main reason our midfield collpased in past two seasons.

He links up very well with Alexis and Ozil. Without him it just turns mainly into a two man attack.

Santi is the link between those two and our midfield and attack. Him and Ozil keep our attack flowing smoothly.

Santi is not going to score but him operating in midifeld helps our creators create and our attackers score.

He is also one of the few players on this team that can dribble out of traps and get by players. That's the other big reason our team struggles. We just done have enough people that can do that and so when under pressure, we panic and lose possession.

I don't understand how anyone can rate Theo over Santi.

End product over whatever santi gives us all the time.

We have collapsed when santi has stayed fit. We have collapsed when he's been injured. Him being injured means nothing. We will collapse regardless. That's on Wenger but that's another topic.

I'm getting bored of the Theo hate and the post I made last night says it all. Funnily enough no one can reply to it. It's all fact based and the haters have no answer as I knew they wouldn't.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:53 am

I think some of the comments about Theo are a bit OTT, considering he has scored some important goals in big games and in recent seasons his scoring and assists record has been pretty decent.

His best position is as an inside forward, not a centre forward and not a winger. Unfortunately for Walcott he has a big gob and shit footballing brain. I think any half average striker would post the numbers Walcott posts, he is nothing special. But we cannot ignore the fact he does chip in.

The same cannot be said for Ox who apart from that game against Man U when Wenger stupidly took him off ... and the odd game here and there ... has been the biggest wasteman in the history of wastemen ! Calls for Ox to stay are ridiculous, useless waste of space.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Cripps » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:06 pm

theHotHead wrote:I think some of the comments about Theo are a bit OTT, considering he has scored some important goals in big games and in recent seasons his scoring and assists record has been pretty decent.

His best position is as an inside forward, not a centre forward and not a winger. Unfortunately for Walcott he has a big gob and shit footballing brain. I think any half average striker would post the numbers Walcott posts, he is nothing special. But we cannot ignore the fact he does chip in.

The same cannot be said for Ox who apart from that game against Man U when Wenger stupidly took him off ... and the odd game here and there ... has been the biggest wasteman in the history of wastemen ! Calls for Ox to stay are ridiculous, useless waste of space.

Yup

Far bigger problems in the squad than Theo. Ox, iwobi, welbeck all need to go before Theo does.

But but 140k a week. Not my money, don't care. Generous for the haters to pay Theo out of their own pocket though. I can understand the hatred then.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Cripps wrote:Xhaka and Santi are lauded on here for sideways and backwards passes

Give me Theos end product over pointless passing every single time.

Give him a decent striker like I don't know RVP he will get assists and goals as proven. Give him Giroud? Need I say more?

And this footballing brain or lack of about Theo all started when Hansen said it on MOTD and that was done and dusted when he made a grovelling apology and was forced in to retirement

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 08074.html

Unfortunately the footballing brain thing has stuck with haters who do not understand the concept of football. Its a simple one. Score more goals than the other team. Now passing pointlessly and running around aimlessly (working hard, hi Welbeck) is all good and well. We'd all take goals over that? Yes? Am I wrong? Please tell me if I am.

EK blaming Theo for us being so shit in the league and CL comes from his hatred which he just admitted so no point talking to him about Theo anymore. Hes rarely if ever been right in this topic.

As ive always said, find me a winger who gets as good as numbers as Theo and whos available then by all means get him. Sell Theo. I don't give a shit about passing, keeping possession whatever, since when are wingers judged on that? Maybe Pires and Freddie were the wrong players, I should've said Overmars. Now he must be hated on here.

And btw I don't for a second think Theo is better than any of them. I watched these players play when many on here were still in nappies and loved them all. Overmars from his Ajax days.

The hate Theo gets on here is hilariously funny and ridiculous and has been shot down by myself and others many a time. Agendas galore on here. We've had people say Nelson is better. Who the f**k is Nelson?

To reiterate, the criticism of Theo is baseless and boring. Ask GA how he got ripped apart end of 15/16 season cos of this jumping over the tackle malarkey, ask him about his logic he used and got ripped apart on. Ask MO11 or whatever he is called these days how many name changes hes undertaken to try and save the humiliation he has faced, most on Theo. All this boring criticism comes from people who don't understand the game. I laugh at them and when I deem it necessary and I shut them down.

I haven't even mentioned Gooneys hatred ffs

Like I said, baseless and boring. Why don't we criticise other players for something that's not their job? I don't know for example, Cech is shit cos he doesn't score. Um Alexis is shit cos hes a shit keeper. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Damn right it is. Put the theo criticism in the same bracket.

And just cos there are a lot of posters on here who don't like Theo doesn't make them right. Like I said, Agendasweb is a good name for this thread

How do you expect CMS to have the same end product as a forward?
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Kite33 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Even Wenger has lost faith in walcott he is that bad. The english national Coach also does not care about 19 goals :rofll: when the game is already over
Kite33
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Cripps » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:22 pm

By passing forward instead of keeping it safe. By running upfront and being a threat. Beyond the static lamppost. It's the biggest reason Ramsey pisses on santi and xhaka.

Unless we classify them both as DMs?
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Cripps wrote:Unfortunately the footballing brain thing has stuck with haters who do not understand the concept of football. Its a simple one. Score more goals than the other team.

Just think about what you have written here ..... then ask yourself will Theo score you more EPL goals than these players did at other teams last season? ..... and remember that was Theo's best, the previous three seasons Theo wasn't even in the top 50 goal scorers ....

Harry Kane
Romelu Lukaku
Alexis Sánchez
Sergio Agüero
Diego Costa
Dele Alli
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Joshua King
Eden Hazard
Fernando Llorente
Christian Benteke
Jermain Defoe
Heung-Min Son
Philippe Coutinho
Sadio Mané
Jamie Vardy
Olivier Giroud
Roberto Firmino

If we want to win and as you put it "score more goals than the other team" then we need to have players who can and do score more goals than the other teams players ... pretty basic concept of football ...... what bit about that is so hard for you to grasp ???????

Last season we came up at least a dozen goals short ... and that's with Alexis 24 goals having a career best season ... our back up strikers with 12 and 10 were not even close to top tier.... if you cant understand that's a problem then just maybe the concept of football is lost on you ....

Even Wonger, stubborn **** that he is, has almost conceded that goal scoring is the problem ... trouble is he may well be losing the ONLY tier one striker we have ..... Theo to step up? just don't make me laugh ........
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:21 pm

The only thing Theo Walcott contributes is that he finishes the chances that come his way. He does not do so clinically, this is one of those times you should use your eyes, rather than just stats.

A winger at Arsenal gets a lot of chances to score because of the way we play. Giroud through the middle means that he tries to bring the wingers into play, instead of finishing himself. This is what Theo benefits from. An example, his goal against Chelsea, made possible by great work by Iwobi and Ozil, which meant both Bellerin and Walcott were easily free.

Down his side, he creates nothing. If you watch games, he ruins so many attacks, it's almost unreal.

Compared to Mahrez, Theo scored 4 more goals in the Premier League, at a three times better rate, he also had less shots. But this is where it gets interesting.

Theo had 52 shots from inside the area, Mahrez had 38. Mahrez had 34 shots from outside the area, Theo had 16.

What this shows is that Theo gets brilliant opportunities to score from inside the box, that someone like Mahrez just does not get. This is because he has Ozil behind him, because even Giroud tries to play in the wingers.

As for chances created, Theo created 13 in the season, Mahrez created 52.

Theo has better chances to score because he's not expected to do anything in the buildup, just put it away

All I'll say is this, 39 more chances probably equals more than 4 goals
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:34 pm

The anti-Walcott crowd would have more of a case if our other strikers bar a possibly sold Sanchez wasn't just Iwobi, and at a stretch Iwobi and Welbeck.

What do we do if Wenger fails to buy and we lose Sanchez, in fact even if we keep Sanchez, who is back up for the two forward positions?

Right now out of Iwobi, Welbeck or Walcott, Wally is just as good an option as either.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby BS221B » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Cripps irl. leave the man alone.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cripps » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:26 pm

School is out for the day I see.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:32 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
Cripps wrote:Unfortunately the footballing brain thing has stuck with haters who do not understand the concept of football. Its a simple one. Score more goals than the other team.

Just think about what you have written here ..... then ask yourself will Theo score you more EPL goals than these players did at other teams last season? ..... and remember that was Theo's best, the previous three seasons Theo wasn't even in the top 50 goal scorers ....

Harry Kane
Romelu Lukaku
Alexis Sánchez
Sergio Agüero
Diego Costa
Dele Alli
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Joshua King
Eden Hazard
Fernando Llorente
Christian Benteke
Jermain Defoe
Heung-Min Son
Philippe Coutinho
Sadio Mané
Jamie Vardy
Olivier Giroud
Roberto Firmino

If we want to win and as you put it "score more goals than the other team" then we need to have players who can and do score more goals than the other teams players ... pretty basic concept of football ...... what bit about that is so hard for you to grasp ???????

Last season we came up at least a dozen goals short ... and that's with Alexis 24 goals having a career best season ... our back up strikers with 12 and 10 were not even close to top tier.... if you cant understand that's a problem then just maybe the concept of football is lost on you ....

Even Wonger, stubborn **** that he is, has almost conceded that goal scoring is the problem ... trouble is he may well be losing the ONLY tier one striker we have ..... Theo to step up? just don't make me laugh ........

Are you comparing our right winger to starting strikers of other sides? Why not with other wingers?

Where's the sterlings, the Sanes?

At least you put Mane in. Theo scored more than him by the way so kinda defeats your purpose.

Anyway like I said even if all of them are better than Theo and they aren't then how many of them are we getting to replace Theo?

Where's your hate for the players that deserve it? At least Theo has contributed. 100 goals in over 10 years considering he started here as a baby.

Ox? Iwobi? Welbeck? Wilshere? Players who don't contribute anything.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby knowledge93 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:03 pm

Theo should be squad option but nothing more. He contributes more than some players on our team but that's because we have got a lot of deadwood on our books. He isn't as good as some make him out to be. He's a good finisher with good pace but has nothing else to offer. If we are dominating a game and creating chances then it's nice to have Theo around to finish off chances. If we aren't convincingly dominating or we are being dominated then Theo becomes really useless. He's not the best defensively, he can't dribble out of tight spaces to move the team up the pitch and he doesn't create chances out of nothing. In short he's useful in certain matches but not useful enough to be a starter,

Using guys like Ox, Iwobi (if he improved his end product he would be a good player), Welbeck and Wilshire as a reason to why Theo is a really good player is not really a good measuring stick. These are players who people don't want anywhere near our first team.
knowledge93
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Cripps wrote:Are you comparing our right winger to starting strikers of other sides? Why not with other wingers?

Where's the sterlings, the Sanes?

At least you put Mane in. Theo scored more than him by the way so kinda defeats your purpose.

Anyway like I said even if all of them are better than Theo and they aren't then how many of them are we getting to replace Theo?

Where's your hate for the players that deserve it? At least Theo has contributed. 100 goals in over 10 years considering he started here as a baby.

Ox? Iwobi? Welbeck? Wilshere? Players who don't contribute anything.

You completely miss the point ... or should I say the 'concept of football' as you called it .... to win the EPL you need the best players .... Theo is a good player, and credit to him for 100 goals in ten years, its a decent return .... however good and decent haven't won us the EPL or the Champions League .... you need great and fantastic players for that ....

I fully agree that the others you name are also not good enough .... the harsh truth is that when our rivals have seven or eight players who would walk into our starting eleven you know we need to improve ....

There are at least a dozen attacking wide players better than Theo and probably a whole lot more .... why can't we buy one of them? ... we're one of the top ten clubs in the feckin' world ..... although the way we act with transfers nobody would know that .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club