Re: Theo Walcott announces retirement from football

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Theo Walcott

Postby Phil71 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:33 am

He's really not a great player.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:01 pm

Phil71 wrote:He's really not a great player.

1 good game out of ten is apt.

But can't deny his terrific stats for us even if he was inconsistent as hell.

108 goals and 72 assists as per Transfermarkt. For Arsenal.

Contribution every 126 mins. That's great.

It helps that he was playing for one, Arsene Wenger. ;)
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:31 pm

A very dangerous player in his prime, injuries derailed him badly
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:14 pm

Angelito wrote:

1 good game out of ten is apt

Was it Massa who used to get annoyed when I used to say that?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:39 pm

Tony Adams wrote:
Angelito wrote:

1 good game out of ten is apt

Was it Massa who used to get annoyed when I used to say that?
Yeah i believe so

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:00 pm

It was as wrong then as it is now

The no brain one though was funniest. Alan Hansen started it and had to make a grovelling apology and quit motd due to humiliation
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:51 am

Ach wrote:It was as wrong then as it is now

The no brain one though was funniest. Alan Hansen started it and had to make a grovelling apology and quit motd due to humiliation

It was Chris Waddle who said Walcott didn't have a footballing brain. Hansen made his comments about Walcott in 2010 after Walcott had another poor performance against Blackpool, and said he agreed with Waddle to some degree. He left MOTD in 2014, so hardly a grovelling apology followed by resigning in humiliation.

Here are some of the things he said about Walcott back then:

"His lack of footballing instincts mean that he is at present a long way away from the finished article."

"With the pace and trickery he possesses in abundance, Walcott will always make a living from the game, but the big unknown is whether he has enough to make it right to the top and be remembered in 20 years' time as a great player."

"Only time will tell, but when the former England winger Chris Waddle claimed last week that Theo does not have a football brain, it was a fair observation to some degree."

"It is no slight on a player to accuse them of not having a football brain. You either have one or you don't."

"It is about natural instinct, the innate ability to see things before they happen. Wayne Rooney has it and Kenny Dalglish had it."

"improving those footballing instincts is no easy task either, according to Hansen. He can certainly improve on his deficiencies, but the areas that he has to sharpen up just happen to be the most difficult qualities to fine-tune,"

"It is about seeing options, seeing them early and then being able to pick out the right pass at the right time. If he improves all those areas, he can be a 9 out of 10 player. At the moment, he is 7 out of 10.

"He can beat a defender and get to the byline with his pace, but he doesn't deliver the right cross often enough and he lacks the consistency of others.

"We have all seen what he can do when he gets it right, though. His wonderful slaloming run to set up Arsenal's second goal against Liverpool in the Champions League a couple of years ago made everyone think what a player he could be.

"But he hasn't done that often enough since and he has to do better on a more consistent basis if he is to prove himself at the highest level."

"Despite the room for improvement, though, I am certain that he will go to the World Cup,"

"Walcott's pace is a phenomenal asset at the highest level, and that, rather than his versatility, is the reason Capello will pick him."

Capello didn't pick him.

I don't disagree with anything Hansen has said above. In fact you could have said those things about Walcott at any point throughout his time with us.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:07 am

Alan Hansen has admitted to one regret during his time as a pundit, but it is not for the comment that most famously haunted him.

The Match of the Day analyst ended his 22 year career with the BBC after the World Cup, making his last match the final between Germany and Argentina.

Over such a long period of time inevitably mistakes were made but Hansen has only one regret from his career analysing matches. But it wasn't his claim that you cannot win anything with kids, a view rubbished when the Manchester United team he was talking about went on to carry the Red Devils through the most glorious years in the club's history.

The former Liverpool defender revealed in his column for The Telegraph that it was his criticism of Theo Walcott that troubled him.

"Four years ago, I said that Theo Walcott did not have a "football brain", without realising that my comments would be misinterpreted to such an extent," he wrote in his column.

"The meaning of my observation was not as brutal as it may have come across, but nonetheless, I was critical of Walcott’s ability and I am pleased to say that Theo has proved me wrong one million per cent."

Hansen went on to reveal that he and Walcott have met since and there has not been a problem between them whilst conceding his comments were "the only time that I have ever been happy to be wrong".

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 08074.html

He realised he was clearly wrong and thatsbfair enough. Unfortunately it stuck and people were mocked cos of it by myself and others who understands football.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:13 am

Ach wrote:
Alan Hansen has admitted to one regret during his time as a pundit, but it is not for the comment that most famously haunted him.

The Match of the Day analyst ended his 22 year career with the BBC after the World Cup, making his last match the final between Germany and Argentina.

Over such a long period of time inevitably mistakes were made but Hansen has only one regret from his career analysing matches. But it wasn't his claim that you cannot win anything with kids, a view rubbished when the Manchester United team he was talking about went on to carry the Red Devils through the most glorious years in the club's history.

The former Liverpool defender revealed in his column for The Telegraph that it was his criticism of Theo Walcott that troubled him.

"Four years ago, I said that Theo Walcott did not have a "football brain", without realising that my comments would be misinterpreted to such an extent," he wrote in his column.

"The meaning of my observation was not as brutal as it may have come across, but nonetheless, I was critical of Walcott’s ability and I am pleased to say that Theo has proved me wrong one million per cent."

Hansen went on to reveal that he and Walcott have met since and there has not been a problem between them whilst conceding his comments were "the only time that I have ever been happy to be wrong".

He realised he was clearly wrong and thatsbfair enough. Unfortunately it stuck and people were mocked cos of it by myself and others who understands football.

Thank you. It was utter rubbish and the guy that said has even admitted Walcott has proven his wrong time and time again. I can't stand the way our own fans latched on to this rubbish.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Phil71 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:20 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Ach wrote:

Thank you. It was utter rubbish and the guy that said has even admitted Walcott has proven his wrong time and time again. I can't stand the way our own fans latched on to this rubbish.

He's a 2nd rate player like all the 2nd rate players we've had in the past 10-15 years.

The fact that he' not good enough for Everton and is on loan at Southampton is testament to that.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:20 am

Say what you want about Theo's footballing ability ............ but the numbers don't lie.

If you want a Winger / WF who scores goals, Theo, however basic you think he is, gets goals in that position as well as anyone in the league for his level.

We sold him for £20m, we bought a £75m guy who scores and does even less.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:22 am

Fans are sheep. Pretty much all there is to it.

Anyone who's seen Theo will know he has a footballing brain. The runs he makes, the goals he scored. Does he make the right choice all the time? No. Welcome to being human.

Is he as good as we all wanted him to be when he went to the World Cup in 06? No probably not. But he still had a good career with us.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:22 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Say what you want about Theo's footballing ability ............ but the numbers don't lie.

If you want a Winger / WF who scores goals, Theo, however basic you think he is, gets goals in that position as well as anyone in the league for his level.

We sold him for £20m, we bought a £75m guy who scores and does even less.

Oh I agree he's no different to Pepe.

But that doesn't mean a lot.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:43 am

Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Ach wrote:

He's a 2nd rate player like all the 2nd rate players we've had in the past 10-15 years.

The fact that he' not good enough for Everton and is on loan at Southampton is testament to that.

I don't care where you rate Theo as a player. He'll divide opinion. I liked him despite the limitations and he was good servant to the club.

The issue here is 'footballing intelligence' and how that phrase was thrown around to berate one of our own. Hansen has admitted he was wrong and was proven wrong by Theo on many occasions. As Ach said, most fans are just sheep and went along with it and didn't stop to assess things for themselves.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:25 pm

Man was a huge disappointment at the end of the day. Wasted ages trying to be a striker when his best and only real asset was finding space coming in from the wing between full back and centre back (almost exactly what he did to us 2 days ago).

Injuries obviously didn’t help him but his finishing was also too erratic, sometimes sublime and sometimes atrocious. Given this lad was hyped for the World Cup aged 17, he definitely underachieved.
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club