Olivier Giroud

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Can we get a quick hand for Giroud?

Postby sweggeh » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:49 pm

ESFSAFC wrote:
sweggeh wrote:Giroud is the most underrated striker in the PL.

He really really isn't. He's rated exactly how he should be as in barely no opposition fans talk about him in build up to matches against us as he's not a threat and can't create for himself. There are so many strikers in this league alone who would be an improvement on Giroud in our system/team.

This is what I am talking about tbh. Very underrated. I wonder how these goals against City and United displayed how he cannot create for himself.

Giroud's performances this season show that with some people you just can't win. People always blamed him for not scoring in big matches, and this season he has been one of the most consistent big game strikers in terms of impact in the league. He is unrecognisable from last year when it comes to big games.

Give the guy his props and stop moaning.
sweggeh
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ESFSAFC » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:03 pm

sweggeh wrote:
ESFSAFC wrote:

He really really isn't. He's rated exactly how he should be as in barely no opposition fans talk about him in build up to matches against us as he's not a threat and can't create for himself. There are so many strikers in this league alone who would be an improvement on Giroud in our system/team.

This is what I am talking about tbh. Very underrated. I wonder how these goals against City and United displayed how he cannot create for himself.

Giroud's performances this season show that with some people you just can't win. People always blamed him for not scoring in big matches, and this season he has been one of the most consistent big game strikers in terms of impact in the league. He is unrecognisable from last year when it comes to big games.

Against city he runs a few feet and holds off one player to score a goal which happens far too rarely for him, against Man Utd its more the amazing ball from (looks like) Arteta, Giroud doesn't even touch it, his run is good in this instance and both are great goals but again these are far too seldom from Giroud, any player in premier league is capable of amazing ones off, danny rose against us, Jagielka vs liverpool. The striker who should be starting for Arsenal should be able to do this more consistently.

The other two are a 6 yard tap in and a header against an Everton side who were exhausted.

JordanTheGunner wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

Not true really. All conversations I have about Giroud with non-Arsenal fans show that they all actually rate him as a striker but know that he has his limitations.

I've found this also!

Although most of my mates are Liverpool and Giroud > every LFC striker.

You know Liverpool fans who rate Giroud over Sturridge?
ESFSAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Danskin » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:27 pm

ESFSAFC wrote:
sweggeh wrote:
ESFSAFC wrote:

Against city he runs a few feet and holds off one player to score a goal which happens far too rarely for him, against Man Utd its more the amazing ball from (looks like) Arteta, Giroud doesn't even touch it, his run is good in this instance and both are great goals but again these are far too seldom from Giroud, any player in premier league is capable of amazing ones off, danny rose against us, Jagielka vs liverpool. The striker who should be starting for Arsenal should be able to do this more consistently.

The other two are a 6 yard tap in and a header against an Everton side who were exhausted.

JordanTheGunner wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

Not true really. All conversations I have about Giroud with non-Arsenal fans show that they all actually rate him as a striker but know that he has his limitations.

I've found this also!

Although most of my mates are Liverpool and Giroud > every LFC striker.

You know Liverpool fans who rate Giroud over Sturridge?

Lol, poor excuses. If he scores a great goal, it's a one off and he can't do it again (he's done it twice this season). If he scores a normal goal, it's either a tap in or a goal against an exhausted side. Giroud can't win.

Giroud's goal vs Liverpool is of great quality. Not only is his finish very good, his build-up play wih Cazorla/Gibbs is also pretty good. His header against Everton is a good goal. Don't make excuses. It's a good header. Give him credit.

And so what if he can't score great goals more consistently? As long as he does score, it's all that matters, either if it's a tap in or a volley outside the box.
Danskin
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fran Solo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:28 pm

I know that his red card against QPR is a mistake and I hope he never do anything that stupid again. But, I actually like that kind of attitude from him, bullying opposition defenders. My biggest complain about Giroud aside from his goalscoring ability is how he always whines and looks at the ref (and the sky) everytime he got faulted, and how he dissapear under tough defenders intimidations. I like his new attitude. He only needs to learn how to do that without getting himself sent off.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:22 pm

To use a Wenger cliche, Giroud this season has been showing 'mental strength' when it comes to not being bullied by defenders . he is also unselfish and frequently passes to others in the 18yd box to score.

That said, I don't believe he is underrated/overrated. Just rated.

Hope to see more from him this season. He is an important part of the team.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:38 am

I don't care how Giroud scores goals - if he shins it off his face into the net I'm good with it - especially in big games.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Big17 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:16 pm

aniym wrote:To use a Wenger cliche, Giroud this season has been showing 'mental strength' when it comes to not being bullied by defenders . he is also unselfish and frequently passes to others in the 18yd box to score.

That said, I don't believe he is underrated/overrated. Just rated.

Hope to see more from him this season. He is an important part of the team.

I agree.

So far this season, Giroud has definitely stepped his game up in comparison to previous seasons.

Giroud's not going to be every Arsenal fans favourite player because of his style of play but we've seen a more physical player who's not been afraid to go toe to toe with with some pretty rough centre backs. It's warming to see compared to how he use to flop to the floor every time he use to get touched.

He's finishing a lot more of his chances that have come his way also. We've seen Giroud many of times fluff some very good chances but it seems he's turned a corner, most importantly against the bigger sides that he's let us down in, in previous games.
Big17
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Callum » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:08 am

After today Giroud now has four goals and five assists in ten FA Cup appearances.

:cheerleader:
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:13 am

DAT assist tho.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Cripps » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:16 am

No goal threat today but liked the assist.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:31 am

Didn't see the game today... anyone got a GIF of DAT assist?

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:47 am

Est83 wrote:Didn't see the game today... anyone got a GIF of DAT assist?

This video does it justice, shows all angles.

http://arsenalist.com/f/2014-15/brighto ... y-3-0.html
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Zedie » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:51 am

Est83 wrote:Didn't see the game today... anyone got a GIF of DAT assist?

You might not see it from that GIF, but Rosicky played the ball out to Giroud with a no look pass to baffle the defender initially.

Pure butter.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:08 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That assist was a bit of a number 10's assist.

That volley was always destined to in after that no look pass!

Great goal!!!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Angelito » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:56 am

Giroud's overall play has improved from last season. He uses his body strength to his advantage more now than before. But, for me, the brightest aspect has been the increment in his productivity. Long it may continue.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to World Football