Olivier Giroud

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Can we get a quick hand for Giroud?

Postby 22-0 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:58 am

average player regardless. i still want cavani :(
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Denis_E » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:01 am

DontPushMe wrote:He's vital to our team because of how well he wins headers and defends set pieces. If we had a striker like rvp or aguero up front wed need to also buy a big midfielder. With Wenger refusing to buy a big midfielder we will always need a striker like giroud

He's in great form and underrated on this forum. He'd start for any team in the prem outside of city Chelsea or united. Even on Chelsea he'd play a lot as he'd be the clear #2 behind Costa.

Still hope we can buy a top striker though. Welbeck will prob end up sold to a club like Newcastle or whu within a couple of years.

Just a shame that a striker's biggest attribute is defending corners

All jokes aside I agree. I just wish we had, you know, a conventional football team where we have at least one striker we can depend on to score goals and thus not go belly up when our wingers, AM's, defenders and goal keepers aren't contributing as much as they need in terms of goals to keep us afloat.
'A friend to all is a friend to none'
Denis_E
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zedie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:10 am

Preferring to have one star striker who then gets crocked, leaving us with a huge gap in goals just doesn't make sense to me.

I'd rather prey the 1st eleven step their game up and everyone contributes to winning matches.

It probably won't win us any golden boot awards, but those arent the trophies we are after.

Having a falcao or cavani with us for 50-60m over the last year wouldn't have exactly helped us out.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:22 am

Giroud has now scored against Everton, United, Liverpool and City this season.

Credit to him for shedding his big game hoodoo.

Much prefer him to Welbeck tbh.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Denis_E » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:28 am

Zedie wrote:Preferring to have one star striker who then gets crocked, leaving us with a huge gap in goals just doesn't make sense to me.

I'd rather prey the 1st eleven step their game up and everyone contributes to winning matches.

It probably won't win us any golden boot awards, but those arent the trophies we are after.

Having a falcao or cavani with us for 50-60m over the last year wouldn't have exactly helped us out.

Fair enough, I agree to an extent

But in a sense we do have one star striker, except he's a winger in Sanchez. Today was promising in that he didn't have a stellar game, it was indeed a team effort

But what would have happened if he wasn't so prolific this season.

Is it just me or would there have been more pressure on our striking department?

Sure you could argue Sanchez's performances were in part due to the space create for him by Giroud, but I simply can't think of a Premier league/Champions league winning team that didn't have at least one striker they could rely on to finish a chance when it really mattered

Yes the set piece header today pretty much sealed the game, but in open play, that's a different story. I suppose he scored against Liverpool and Utd from open play, but what can I say I'm just not convinced, I'm just not ready to accept that a striking duo of Giroud and Welbeck is good enough.

E.g. one instance today he gets the ball on a break and he is out done for pace by Kompany and he turns back and passes to Sanchez for that shot on goal. Yes he wasn't dispossessed, and all in all I'd rather Sanchez have the ball there, but the very fact that he simply couldn't take those defenders on and we then had to rely on our midfield to create our only shot on goal from open play just seems counterintuitive to me.

All in all, yes his performances aren't making me rip out my hair as much as the 2 previous years, but....that's about it
Denis_E
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby yadunoe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:42 am

Giroud is a good enough striker if he has pace at either side of him like he did today and ramsey busting forward he is very good at finding them with passes and getting in the box for crosses and finishing them with his head .
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Callum » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:55 pm

a messge 2 tha h8rzz

Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Denis_E » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:08 am

Callum wrote:a messge 2 tha h8rzz

No thanks

I'd rather just stick with my opinion

Didn't realise what a fascist fan base we'd had when we aren't allowed to have negative opinions on adulterous narcissists some of us don't deem good enough to start for Arsenal.
Denis_E
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby QPRSENAL » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:41 am

Is paying £50 mil for Cavani or similar calibre or prestige really worth it for possibly 3 or 4 more goals a season?

I was going to use £30 mil for Costa as an example but I think in that case it probably would have been worth it.

Giroud is perfectly adequate for the timebeing.
QPRSENAL
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Fran Solo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:55 am

As long as he scores, most of us will be just fine.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby JordanTheGunner » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:50 am

I still think we need another striker.

Imo you should have 3 first team strikers and one young one coming through, I still want us to buy a top CF but sadly I can't see it for another 11 and a half months atleast.
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:52 am

Denis_E wrote:
Callum wrote:a messge 2 tha h8rzz

No thanks

I'd rather just stick with my opinion

Didn't realise what a fascist fan base we'd had when we aren't allowed to have negative opinions on adulterous narcissists some of us don't deem good enough to start for Arsenal.

Yes because that's exactly what I said
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Bionic Mosquito » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:03 am

I have always appreciated Giroud for what he does. Ok he's not the fastest but he has great qualities and Wenger knows it. Yes we need to get another CF as Welbeck is clearly not what we need in that position. We are linked with Destro and with Pod and Sanogo going out on loan I wouldnt be surprised if something happened this month. Dont worry, a CB is a cert :)
Bionic Mosquito
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby starmandb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:48 pm

Cripps wrote:Not the world class striker we need but the striker we deserve.

Been reading that rothmans book of cliches again?
I think talk sport want it back
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:53 pm

Danskin wrote:Giroud has been a revelation this season. He's also scoring against big teams which was something he couldn't do in the last two seasons. His receptions today were orgasmic.

Bayern Munich dortmund Schalke big teams?
starmandb

PreviousNext

Return to World Football