Olivier Giroud

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Can we get a quick hand for Giroud?

Postby Callum » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:50 pm

Angelito wrote:Wtf?! You're the guy Giroud cheated on his wife with? :shocked:

I still walk with a limp
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:50 pm

He's doing alright though and good to see him score an important goal in a big game alongside a good performance. He won virtually all the air balls and showed some great touches bringing it down a few times, he is pretty vital in our formation as I've said this season. Welbeck doesn't win enough in the air (like 0) to be a starter in this tactic.

I am liking him more, but lets see how he does over a longer course as his season has been very broken up.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Tarquinius » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:51 pm

Competition is a great thing. Keeps players on their toes = improves performances.
Tarquinius
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:53 pm

The anger against him was misguided. It was never his fault that he was the only established striker at the club last season. With Welbeck now at the club our situation re strikers is a bit more, well normal, and people aren't as stressed and frustrated with mistakes as a result. He still isn't the top level striker we need though. Our goal tally this season has been massively supplimented by Alexis, who despite being amazing is not a striker.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Zedie » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:53 pm

It's too late for him to be anywhere near world class, but for the Arsenal, he plays such an important role for the team, especially with what we have on the flanks now.

His all round game today was fantastic and that goal was perfectly timed for us to knock the stuffing out of city for a bit.

I do expect to see more from him and hopefully he can deliver as the season wears on.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:55 pm

UFGN wrote:The anger against him was misguided. It was never his fault that he was the only established striker at the club last season. With Welbeck now at the club our situation re strikers is a bit more, well normal, and people aren't as stressed and frustrated with mistakes as a result. He still isn't the top level striker we need though. Our goal tally this season has been massively supplimented by Alexis, who despite being amazing is not a striker.

He's been helped massively from having that break through injury, tbh. He was overused horribly last season and was clearly fatigued which led to some poor performances. Now he's not had to play as much he's performing with much more vigour.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Denis_E » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:57 pm

Zedie wrote:It's too late for him to be anywhere near world class, but for the Arsenal, he plays such an important role for the team, especially with what we have on the flanks now.

His all round game today was fantastic and that goal was perfectly timed for us to knock the stuffing out of city for a bit.

I do expect to see more from him and hopefully he can deliver as the season wears on.

At least we're in agreement on that part
Last edited by Denis_E on Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'A friend to all is a friend to none'
Denis_E
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Danskin » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:57 pm

Giroud has been a revelation this season. He's also scoring against big teams which was something he couldn't do in the last two seasons. His receptions today were orgasmic.
Danskin
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:58 pm

My biggest strife against him was lack of goals. As long as he bangs them in and helps create space for Sanchez (and Walcott once he returns) using his strength and positioning, I'm happy.

We need a striker still because Welbeck isn't one, but right now what's important is that he stays fit.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cornish Gooner » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:31 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:As people may have known i was one of his critics last year but even before today's game i have maintained he looks a lot more sharper, efficient and clinical in front of the goal after coming back from injury. Not just his goals his overall play has gone up a few notches. He brings a totally new dimension to our play allows us to hold the ball up front and bring others in to play.

Because I am a cautious Cornishman, and also one of his critics, I will have to see how he performs over the next few games before I am convinced that he has turned the corner, and not just going through a purple patch at the moment.
Cornish Gooner
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby dolan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:38 pm

Good performance, but he still lacks mobility to me. 9/10 times I see him strolling around and not moving into channels and making himself available for any forward passes in the box. He is great to have on the bench if you need to change game plan, but he will never be good enough to be starting for a club like Arsenal, a club that should be battling for the title each year, and not 4th place.

Bring in a striker who knows how to escape off-side traps and is quick on his feet. Then we at least have two different strikers to use for different game tactics.
dolan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ESFSAFC » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Scoring goals with decent performances but this is Giroud at his best, there is no next level or much room to improve. He still doesn't have much synergy with rest our pacey attackers.
ESFSAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Massa » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:05 pm

ESFSAFC wrote:Scoring goals with decent performances but this is Giroud at his best, there is no next level or much room to improve. He still doesn't have much synergy with rest our pacey attackers.

This too; but lets enjoy it for now
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Pudpop » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:27 pm

Always been a form player. I'm more worried about whether Welbeck will be able to step up once Giroud loses form
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DontPushMe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:55 am

He's vital to our team because of how well he wins headers and defends set pieces. If we had a striker like rvp or aguero up front wed need to also buy a big midfielder. With Wenger refusing to buy a big midfielder we will always need a striker like giroud

He's in great form and underrated on this forum. He'd start for any team in the prem outside of city Chelsea or united. Even on Chelsea he'd play a lot as he'd be the clear #2 behind Costa.

Still hope we can buy a top striker though. Welbeck will prob end up sold to a club like Newcastle or whu within a couple of years.
DontPushMe
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to World Football