Olivier Giroud

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Olivier Giroud signs for Chelsea

Postby generalanal » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:16 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
generalanal wrote:Giroud first season top 4. Lacazette first season far from top 4. This is the difference. His body and mind is too weak for this league

You know Lacazette has outscored Giroud in their respective first seasons at Arsenal?

Like fish in a barrel.

This is why I'm glad he got sold, certain fans at AFC have wasted way too much time and energy protecting an average striker, why I'll never know.

But I'm relieved its over, now we can move on and cater for PEA and Lacazette because the former can be a top class striker for us and the latter a definite improvement on any 2nd choice we've had here for a long time.

Yes but scoring is not enough. Their are other important things too in the game. Agreed Aubameyang is twice the player of lacazette. Lets hope for a good next season
generalanal
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby DialSquaregooner » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:51 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
generalanal wrote:Giroud first season top 4. Lacazette first season far from top 4. This is the difference. His body and mind is too weak for this league

You know Lacazette has outscored Giroud in their respective first seasons at Arsenal?

Like fish in a barrel.

This is why I'm glad he got sold, certain fans at AFC have wasted way too much time and energy protecting an average striker, why I'll never know.

But I'm relieved its over, now we can move on and cater for PEA and Lacazette because the former can be a top class striker for us and the latter a definite improvement on any 2nd choice we've had here for a long time.

Granted the season is not over yet and he is well capable of but so far laca has 9 goals in the league to Giroud 11, giroud also got 7 in all other comp for us that debut season.

:rofll:
DialSquaregooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:12 pm

Where's the monkey hiding his face emoji?
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:19 pm

DialSquaregooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Like fish in a barrel.

Granted the season is not over yet and he is well capable of but so far laca has 9 goals in the league to Giroud 11, giroud also got 7 in all other comp for us that debut season.

:rofll:

That's why I said respective seasons, up until I initially made this point Lacazette only needs 2 goals to equal and go on to beat that record.

Tbf when I first made that argument it was before Lacazette's injury and he was on 9 goals, it looked like a shoe in validation but then not only the injury but we signed PEA on top of that.

Unlike Giroud, Lacazette has been on 70min games and now has been replaced as first choice, bit of a shotgun wound to the prediction but I still think he'll manage it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:27 pm

Tbf to Giroud, in 2012 we had Walcott and Podolski both scoring lots, so big G didn't have a lock on the CF role.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby KG3 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:53 am

aniym wrote:Tbf to Giroud, in 2012 we had Walcott and Podolski both scoring lots, so big G didn't have a lock on the CF role.

And we had our 3rd best 10 since DB and Fabregas in Cazorla behind him scoring and assisting for fun, if only we kept RVP for one more season him and Cazorla would have done magical things.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:12 pm

My word. What a goal.

SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:18 pm

Sexy Ollie.

Hoping for Chelsea to lift the FA Cup. f**k ManU.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby generalanal » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:23 pm

Giroud will do us a favour and destroy United. Agent Giroud. Great important goal again.

Poor Diamondgooner he doesn't get a break, i hope he is fine
generalanal
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:37 pm

Right after DG was bashing Giroud aswell lol
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Thu May 03, 2018 11:02 pm

Lol so true ffs

SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Thu May 03, 2018 11:26 pm

Angelito wrote:Sexy Ollie.

Hoping for Chelsea to lift the FA Cup. f**k ManU.

Is there any conceivable way that they could both lose?

Starman, get on the case. There must be a scenario that could see neither win it.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Marsbar100 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:00 am

Never thought i would say it but we missed him badly last night
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Angelito » Fri May 04, 2018 9:39 am

Arsenal's Europa League defeat raises serious questions over the sale of Olivier Giroud

A club’s transfer business can only be definitively judged over the long term but, as the dust settled on Arsenal’s Europa League exit against Atletico Madrid, one thought lingered: might it have all been very different with Olivier Giroud in the team?

He was sacrificed in January amid the determination to sign Pierre-Emerick Aubamayeng but, with the former Borussia Dortmund striker ineligible for European competition, Arsenal were significantly weakened in what became their priority for the season.

This was further magnified by the swap deal that saw Alexis Sanchez and Henrikh Mkhitaryan exchanged and also the sale to Everton of Theo Walcott.

With Mkhitaryan injured from the first leg, Arsenal went from pre-Christmas Europa League attacking options of Giroud, Walcott, Sanchez, Mesut Ozil and Alexandre Lacazette to a starting three of Danny Welbeck, Ozil and Lacazette.

Arsene Wenger felt so unsure of the back-up to that trio that he waited until the 68th minute of the second leg before making his first change. This was despite creating such few clear-cut chances in the context of their dominance of possession across both legs.

Yes, with Atletico’s 32 clean sheets this season, they were going up against the best defence in Europe, but the lack of a Plan B was screaming out across the 180 minutes of football.

Arsenal were clearly backed into a corner over Sanchez, but Giroud and Walcott were very much sales of choice.

With only about £40 million coming in for the pair of them, they simply largely facilitated Aubameyang’s club record £54m fee. Good business? Next season will tell us more but, over the past eight days, how Wenger could have done with the very different options they provide.

Giroud, especially, would have given Arsenal a completely different focus for their attacks than the hard-working but physically diminutive Lacazette. Arsenal, remember, had a total of 57 crosses over the two games against Atletico Madrid but always had little chance of making any sort of dent aerially with Lacazette. Their attacks became badly predictable.

Giroud had already scored three times in six Europa League games before Christmas and has proved himself the master substitute in the Premier League over recent years.

Wenger must have yearned for his presence on the bench during both legs. Walcott, too, would have offered something distinct.

As it is, the jury is very much still out on a January transfer window that felt like the first in which it was not Wenger making the big decisions but chief executive Ivan Gazidis and his new head of recruitment Sven Mislintat.

The other big call in January was the decision to accede to Mesut Ozil’s wage demands and pay a reported £350,000-a-week salary. Simply blaming Ozil for Thursday night’s defeat is unfair - he created more than most - but the problem for Arsenal and Ozil is the context against what he is now understandably judged.

Special wages raise the expectation of special performances and he was no more than average when it mattered most in Arsenal’s biggest game of the season.

The legacy of the January window for the next manager is also clear. Huge resources were committed to three players in Ozil, Aubamayeng and Mkhitaryan who are all now on long-term contracts and will be into their 30s when these deals expire.

It means that the basis for the club’s attack is likely decided for the next few years and, with the club’s leading scorers in every season since 2012 all leaving in January, inspiring this new unit will almost certainly decide the success of the next man.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Fri May 04, 2018 11:48 am

Selling Giroud wasn't wrong. He's done nothing for Chelsea to suggest otherwise.

That ridiculous rule to stop Auba playing in the Europa was the main thing and thankfully that won't be a problem again as it's been demolished.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to World Football