Olivier Giroud

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Olivier Giroud signs for Chelsea

Postby Nuggets » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:41 pm

At least the big man has more chance of wining anything with the plastics.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Sims » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Literally won 3 fa cups in the last 4 years at arsenal
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:01 pm

The amount of unwarranted vitriol he got from our fans was so misplaced. Giroud has settled in so quickly and scoring and assisting. It was huge mistake to sell him and before anyone tells me we wouldn't have got Auba otherwise i will say had we got our business done already we would have Giroud leading the line in Europa league and not Welbeck.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:51 pm

generalanal wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
generalanal wrote:So far Wengers biggest mistake to sell a Top striker like Giroud

I do not and would not blame Wenger for selling Giroud. I do blame him for mismanaging Lacazette. Lyon, while Lacazette was there, had a better setup for Lacazette to thrive in than we currently do. How is this still possible with all the resources Arsenal has?

I’ll tell you the answer and that’s a plethora of bad decisions being made that stems from the suits upstairs

Lacazette isn't good enough. Never mind who we buy. The pl is a much harder league than the French league. I thought lacazette would be at least quicker than giroud but it's not the case. Anyway you are right about the Board, wrong decisions

Maybe Lacazette isn’t good enough for us but you don’t get Lacazettes’ records without knowing what you’re doing. You put Lacazette in Liverpool’s side, for example, I would bet he would be putting up the same numbers he had at Lyon. When I see a player not performing up to his standards, I try to understand why that is and I believe one of the reasons is because Lacazette plays better with football-smart people. That is people who consistently understands what needs to be done to win games. Lacazette has been playing with a bunch of people on the opposite end of the spectrum for some time now (bar maybe one or two) and Wenger is the prime suspect. Wenger has turned into a serial killer of players’ abilities with some of the decisions he’s been making recently.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:57 pm

There's one simple brutal fact everyone's missing.

Arsenal have, do and always have done, play better with a pacey, mobile forward.

The way we pass the ball around, its easier to thread through a striker like Aubamaeyang, we are not the sort of team who plays well with a target man, we practically invented the False no9.

Giroud would and still would never have fitted in the way we'd need him to, in fact Lacazettes issue has been because he plays like a target man which was not what I wanted.

If Chelsea can make it work then more power to them, we got PEA, they got Giroud, I'm ecstatic with how the situation has ended.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:00 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:There's one simple brutal fact everyone's missing.

Arsenal have, do and always have done, play better with a pacey, mobile forward.

The way we pass the ball around, its easier to thread through a striker like Aubamaeyang, we are not the sort of team who plays well with a target man, we practically invented the False no9.

Giroud would and still would never have fitted in the way we'd need him to, in fact Lacazettes issue has been because he plays like a target man which was not what I wanted.

If Chelsea can make it work then more power to them, we got PEA, they got Giroud, I'm ecstatic with how the situation has ended.

I think Giroud will work at Chelsea. Poor man's Drogba
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Bar 1/2 seasons Giroud has pretty much the same goalscoring record as Drogba lmao
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Nuggets » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:The amount of unwarranted vitriol he got from our fans was so misplaced. Giroud has settled in so quickly and scoring and assisting. It was huge mistake to sell him and before anyone tells me we wouldn't have got Auba otherwise i will say had we got our business done already we would have Giroud leading the line in Europa league and not Welbeck.

:clap: :clap:
Nuggets

Postby Losmeister » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:57 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
generalanal wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
generalanal wrote:So far Wengers biggest mistake to sell a Top striker like Giroud

I do not and would not blame Wenger for selling Giroud. I do blame him for mismanaging Lacazette. Lyon, while Lacazette was there, had a better setup for Lacazette to thrive in than we currently do. How is this still possible with all the resources Arsenal has?

I’ll tell you the answer and that’s a plethora of bad decisions being made that stems from the suits upstairs

Lacazette isn't good enough. Never mind who we buy. The pl is a much harder league than the French league. I thought lacazette would be at least quicker than giroud but it's not the case. Anyway you are right about the Board, wrong decisions

Maybe Lacazette isn’t good enough for us but you don’t get Lacazettes’ records without knowing what you’re doing. You put Lacazette in Liverpool’s side, for example, I would bet he would be putting up the same numbers he had at Lyon. When I see a player not performing up to his standards, I try to understand why that is and I believe one of the reasons is because Lacazette plays better with football-smart people. That is people who consistently understands what needs to be done to win games. Lacazette has been playing with a bunch of people on the opposite end of the spectrum for some time now (bar maybe one or two) and Wenger is the prime suspect. Wenger has turned into a serial killer of players’ abilities with some of the decisions he’s been making recently.

the fact that we somehow manage to NEVER WIN PENALTIEs hurts Laca, cos he's good at that.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:07 pm

Losmeister wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
generalanal wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

the fact that we somehow manage to NEVER WIN PENALTIEs hurts Laca, cos he's good at that.

Not saying that's all Lacazette's good for but your point does, at the very least, highlight our need for players who can take on/scare defenders. If anything else, it's a good example of Wenger not knowing how to get the best out of his players
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby generalanal » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:21 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
generalanal wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

I think he would be too slow for the Liverpool attack. When we signed lacazette i knew he wouldn't be the answer, Giroud is a much better striker in almost every area. Wenger is past it Yes but in this case with lacazette i don't blame him. Lacazette didn' t deserve to play longer than 70minutes, he was that bad in most games. Yes he had players like özil and Sanchez next to him and didn't get many goal scoring opportunities. Imo the best is to sell in the comming summer and give nketiah more opportunities
generalanal
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:17 am

generalanal wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
generalanal wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

I think he would be too slow for the Liverpool attack. When we signed lacazette i knew he wouldn't be the answer, Giroud is a much better striker in almost every area. Wenger is past it Yes but in this case with lacazette i don't blame him. Lacazette didn' t deserve to play longer than 70minutes, he was that bad in most games. Yes he had players like özil and Sanchez next to him and didn't get many goal scoring opportunities. Imo the best is to sell in the comming summer and give nketiah more opportunities

There’s nothing in that video Lacazette cannot do given the same conditions, imo.

Lacazette’s been horribly mismanaged from what I’ve seen so far; just like Ozil’s been mismanaged playing with players like Giroud for so many years; just like Xhaka’s been mismanaged being asked to play as a DM; just like the defenders have been mismanaged playing with no reliable DMs for years. Still haven’t given up on Lacazette completely, especially since this is his first season, but I will be honest and say that I won’t be upset if he’s sold in the summer because he’s not really doing much himself to improve his luck.

Also disagree with you about Giroud being the better striker in almost every area comment:

Giroud:
https://www.fifaindex.com/player/178509/olivier-giroud/
Lacazette:
https://www.fifaindex.com/player/193301 ... lacazette/

I know its just a game but its pretty much spot on imo
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby generalanal » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:27 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
generalanal wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
generalanal wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

There’s nothing in that video Lacazette cannot do given the same conditions, imo.

Lacazette’s been horribly mismanaged from what I’ve seen so far; just like Ozil’s been mismanaged playing with players like Giroud for so many years; just like Xhaka’s been mismanaged being asked to play as a DM; just like the defenders have been mismanaged playing with no reliable DMs for years. Still haven’t given up on Lacazette completely, especially since this is his first season, but I will be honest and say that I won’t be upset if he’s sold in the summer because he’s not really doing much himself to improve his luck.

Also disagree with you about Giroud being the better striker in almost every area comment:

Giroud:
Lacazette:

True, they have about the same speed but firminos allround game is better and he is a smarter player. Imo players like xhaka for example aren't good enough and never will be in England, never mind what you do, he won't get suddenly more pace. Players like Giroud got mismanaged, we never played to his strength and he still was great imo. So i don't buy this excuse for every player. Ok your opinion, i watched both with my own eyes and it's clear for me.
generalanal
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:31 pm

generalanal wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
generalanal wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
generalanal wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

Giroud:
Lacazette:

True, they have about the same speed but firminos allround game is better and he is a smarter player. Imo players like xhaka for example aren't good enough and never will be in England, never mind what you do, he won't get suddenly more pace. Players like Giroud got mismanaged, we never played to his strength and he still was great imo. So i don't buy this excuse for every player. Ok your opinion, i watched both with my own eyes and it's clear for me.

Agree that Xhaka is the type of player who will never be good enough for us. I was just using him as an example of how Wenger mismanages players.

Also not sure about Firmino being smarter than Lacazette. Lacazette to me seems to be a highly intelligent player who, I believe, would excel if playing with other players that are not only smart but provide good movement off the ball. This is one of the reasons why I think Lacazette hasn't been used effectively so far. The signings of PEA and Mkhi should help Lacazette's game but this is assuming: 1) Wenger actually gives him a chance, 2) Lacazette recovers well from his knee operation, and 3) Wenger fixes the midfield for next season
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby Ach » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:57 am

Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud, 31, says "for a year and a half, it went from bad to worse" at former club Arsenal, which is why he had to leave in January. (Express)

He admits himself he was getting worse.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to World Football