Danny Welbeck

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Danny Welbeck

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:37 pm

The wide areas are so crowded at the moment that Wenger himself has admitted in today's press conference that he let Podolski go cos the wide areas are over crowded at the moment. Ozil has returned from injury and is available for selection against Stoke. Cazorla is on fire. Rosicky has shown great spark in the last couple of games. So the three spots behind the main Striker are jam packed at the moment.

Now in order to accommodate Ozil, Wenger may even utilize Sanchez up front especially with Sanchez getting an assist and a goal against Hull. Giroud is our only proper Striker at the club and Sanogo may actually end up staying going by Wenger's tone today. Welbeck had such a glorious opportunity in the time when Giroud was out to nail a place for himself but his inexperience and lack of productivity up front has brought in a situation where he may end up being a bit part player for us just like he was for United.

Welbeck was a utility, squad player at United and i am afraid he will end up being the same at AFC. Now i am not writing him off completely but we have far better options than him both Up front and out wide. I just feel Welbeck was panic buy and a signing which no doubt has added depth but i can't see any more than that...

I can't see him starting too many games for us now unless his selection is forced by injury/suspensions to other players. Welbeck is currently out with injury and will be two weeks before he is in for contention. I think by the time he returns he will find it hard to break in to the eleven.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Re: Has Welbeck blown it?

Postby Callum » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:17 pm

No, he hasn't.

He's been an important player for us this season and can't see that changing in the coming months.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:19 pm

Rotation with Groud. No biggie
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Callum » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:20 pm

Massa wrote:Rotation with Groud. No biggie

Pretty much this.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Fas91 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:23 pm

Yeah he has blown it by scoring a game winner in his last match before injury :rolleyes: ...Giroud is better to have against parked buses but against teams that pushup Welbeck links really well with Sanchez/Walcott and a few times with Ozil as well.
Fas91
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Cripps » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:25 pm

Pretty much.

Finally got a chance to play upfront and he failed.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Danskin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:27 pm

Nah, I don't think so - he's done quite well even though his goalscoring form hasn't been that great in the last few weeks. He has scored some important goals this season and it's good to have someone who can not only rotate with Giroud and do a decent job up-front, but also play on the wings and show incredible work-rate and pace going forward. I like him.
Danskin
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Cripps » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:30 pm

The thing is, he was bought to score goals. He's scored in what, 4 games? Maybe 5.

In 5 months? That's one game a month. Not,good enough.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Danskin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:36 pm

He was never a natural goalscorer, he wouldn't turn into one the moment he signed for Arsenal. He's a very useful player to rotate with Giroud and provide depth on the wings. Besides, he's still developing (I believe he's still 23 or 24) so time's on his side. Yeah, his goalscoring record isn't that great, but that's something I'm sure he will improve in the coming months.
Danskin
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jmiles10 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Wenger likes him spent 17m I am sure he will continue to feature a lot and we will get more injuries
jmiles10
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:42 pm

The truth is while he has missed the odd chance I would not define his time here by big misses which is what I think people expected and we saw at Man Utd as well. He needs to refine his play but I don't think he has blown it at all, unless you were silly enough to believe all the media hype when he first moved. We got what we paid for, a good young squad player with admirable experience for his age.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby yadunoe » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:14 pm

i dont think he is what we are looking for , but his acquisition makes me feel wenger will not buy a world class striker now which is ok as giroud and wele will score a good amount of goals together
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:19 pm

if sanchez start playing upfront regularly to accommodate santi or ozil on the wings we should sack wenger. It's no coincidence that santis good form came playing in the middle. It's also no coincidence that ozils and santis worst form have come in wide positions.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ESFSAFC » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:21 pm

He hasn't blown it but he did fail to take his chance when he was the ST with Giroud injured. I still believe we only signed him because Giroud got injured so that shows you what Wenger thinks of him.

Good squad player to rotate with Giroud but I'd have much rather we had spent the 17m else where or even on different forward players. Someone with more burst speed and acceleration whose runs don't make you look away at times.
ESFSAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Cripps » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:33 pm

Danskin wrote:He was never a natural goalscorer, he wouldn't turn into one the moment he signed for Arsenal. He's a very useful player to rotate with Giroud and provide depth on the wings. Besides, he's still developing (I believe he's still 23 or 24) so time's on his side. Yeah, his goalscoring record isn't that great, but that's something I'm sure he will improve in the coming months.

I remember reading his goal scoring would improve in recent months years ago form Man Utd fans....

Time isn't on his side. He needs to produce now. He may be a victim of other players failures but the patience has gone. For too long we were fed shit about how in time the likes of Diaby, Denilson, vela, Bendtner, Arteta, Cesc etc would come good. None did for us.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to Domestic Football