James McLean refusal to wear poppy on his shirt

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: James McLean refusal to wear poppy on his shirt

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:26 pm

Callum wrote:What a load of tosh.

Knowing where this guy comes from and what happened there I don't blame him.

I would say that the non-British players could respect the anthem, why couldn't he? Mind you he did abuse a loophole in FIFA law to allow him to play for a foreign nation instead of his own. I have no respect for a person who hates their own country like him.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Massa » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:05 am

Myrmedus wrote:Non-issue and typical bullshit in this country with placing too much importance on token gestures.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Sims » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:20 am

James McClean is a hero

No-one boils piss better than him
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Dubs4Sam » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:48 am

Royal Gooner wrote:

I would say that the non-British players could respect the anthem, why couldn't he? Mind you he did abuse a loophole in FIFA law to allow him to play for a foreign nation instead of his own. I have no respect for a person who hates their own country like him.

He is playing for his country. He comes from Derry not London Derry. Soccer is the only sport on the island of Ireland that has 2 countries representing it - Rugby, Hockey, Boxing etc all represented under one flag the Republic of Ireland Flag.
Dubs4Sam
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ivan itchybum » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:50 am

Dubs4Sam wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

He is playing for his country. He comes from Derry not London Derry. Soccer is the only sport on the island of Ireland that has 2 countries representing it - Rugby, Hockey, Boxing etc all represented under one flag the Republic of Ireland Flag.

His name is Royal Gooner.. Why bother?
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Dubs4Sam » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:53 am

ivän itchybüm wrote:
Dubs4Sam wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

His name is Royal Gooner.. Why bother?

Maybe just maybe a break through may happen - you never know :hiding:
Dubs4Sam
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Santi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:34 am

Disrespectful tbh, why specifically make a fuss to turn away, he knew it was going to stir something up. Just stand there like everyone else, I'm sure an Argentinian player wouldn't have a problem.

Thought the poppy thing was fine but he seems like a bit of a w@nchor tbh.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:44 am

Royal Gooner wrote:I would say that the non-British players could respect the anthem, why couldn't he?

Because the British Army did terrible things in the area where he was raised and as a result I don't believe he should be forced to respect the flag and the anthem of Great Britain. It's not like he wiped his arse with the flag, he just didn't want to acknowledge it.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby StokeFan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:07 am

Callum wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:I would say that the non-British players could respect the anthem, why couldn't he?

Because the British Army did terrible things in the area where he was raised and as a result I don't believe he should be forced to respect the flag and the anthem of Great Britain. It's not like he wiped his arse with the flag, he just didn't want to acknowledge it.

Not often we agree Callum, is it? However you're correct on this one.
StokeFan
Banned

Postby Cripps » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:10 am

Needs to realise of it wasn't for the British army, he'd be German.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby StokeFan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:19 am

Cripps wrote:Needs to realise of it wasn't for the British army, he'd be German.

And you need to realize, that the British Army were fighting for his right to do what he did.
StokeFan
Banned

Postby Santi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:42 am

Callum wrote:

But he acknowledges everything else in the country while he lives and earns a wage here? Happy to pay taxes to our government i'm sure but has to try and stand out when the anthem is playing? Nobody is forcing him to sing, just stand there in a line with the rest...
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:18 pm

I'm sure if someone gave him money to acknowledge it, he would so all this high and mighty BS he's spouting needs to stop.

He knows full well he's a shit player and just doing this to be in the headlines. Fact he's known better for this than anything he's ever done on the field says it all I'm afraid.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Maradonna » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:43 pm

Mesüt wrote:
Callum wrote:

But he acknowledges everything else in the country while he lives and earns a wage here? Happy to pay taxes to our government i'm sure but has to try and stand out when the anthem is playing? Nobody is forcing him to sing, just stand there in a line with the rest...

so?, silly argument, i despise the american government because they are responsable of 10 years of dictatorship in my country, i hate everything about american external policies, yet i lived in san diego and new york for a couple of months.
i hate your religious state, and i find it laughable really, i cant believe that in the XXI century you still allow some people to call you "common," and you have a royal family, you are as pathetic as iran, you have still colonizing territory all over the world and you keep sucking United States ass everytime you can. yet i lived in london and i have the best time ever.
everyone has something that they dont like about the country where you live, you just look at the bright side of things, he was not laughing or talking shit about the tradition, he stand up with his head looking at the floor.
apples and oranges.
Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Callum » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:05 pm

Mesüt wrote:
Callum wrote:

It's irrelevant though because he's not saying he hates Britain, British people or the country in general, but rather the flag and the anthem represent some pretty horrifying things over in the part of Ireland he's from. Just because he doesn't want to honour the flag doesn't mean he is somehow a hypocrite for living and working in this country.
Callum
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football