Greg Dyke: Grassroots football 'is in a crisis'

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Greg Dyke: Grassroots football 'is in a crisis'

Postby AFC10 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:04 am

Football Association chairman Greg Dyke has admitted the grassroots game in England "is in a degree of crisis".

Dyke, 67, told the BBC he wanted to invest £250m in new training facilities and improve English coaching standards.
However, his plan to add Premier League B teams into the Football League is in doubt after a report said the reaction from clubs was "not favourable".
"If you go to Germany or Holland we are miles behind in terms of facilities and the number of coaches," said Dyke.
"It is clear we have a real problem with pitches. Local authorities' budgets are being squeezed and most of the pitches are owned by them," added Dyke, speaking as the FA Commission issued its second report after a year-long look at improving English football.
"The maintenance of these pitches is not as good as it used to be and over the last two years there have been swathes of games called off, so it's a real issue.
"There's a degree of crisis in what's happening in grassroots football. Facilities are being lost and local authorities have come to us and said 'what can we do about it?'"

Dyke, who has set the England national team the target of winning the World Cup in 2022, wants to create football "hubs" in 30 cities by 2020 and increase the number of top-quality 3G artificial grass pitches in urban areas by 130% to more than 500.
A pilot scheme was unveiled in Sheffield on Friday and will be followed by similar schemes in Birmingham and Liverpool.
It is likely to cost about £50m a year to reach the required target by 2020 - but Dyke is confident the scheme will find plenty of backers, including the Premier League, local government and private companies.

"We will put some money in, and we hope government will put some in and local authorities will as well," added Dyke.
"The Premier League already puts money into football facilities, but we hope that will increase as the years go on. We're building 25 of these pitches a year but we need at least 100 a year."
Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said: "We were consulted by the FA chairman's England Commission as part of its research into the provision of grassroots facilities and coaching, and welcome proposals to enhance both areas.
"Getting this right is imperative to the good health of the game at all levels - players like Raheem Sterling and Calum Chambers have to start off somewhere.
"The Premier League and our clubs will keep playing our part to help ensure the provision of top-quality facilities and coaching is delivered where it is needed most and will have greatest impact."

Sports minister Helen Grant added: "I welcome the FA's plans to strengthen the game at the grassroots through improved facilities and coaching.
"I'm keen to see what more we can do to help further improve the nation's facility stock, putting 3G pitches in places that need them most, and I am continuing discussions with the football authorities."

Last year, Dyke set up a commission, which included England manager Roy Hodgson, former national boss Glenn Hoddle and ex-internationals Rio Ferdinand and Danny Mills, to assess the future of the sport in the country.
The commission's first report was published in May and included a suggestion that Premier League teams would field B teams in a newly-formed fifth tier of English football.
However, those plans have not received the support Dyke wanted.

"We knew when we introduced 'B-team' proposals it would be controversial," he said.
"We thought there was only a chance of it happening. We just want the elite kids at the big clubs getting better competition than they're getting and that's what they want."
Nevertheless, Dyke still hopes the idea may be embraced in cup competitions and that the proposal had not been "kicked into the long grass".
He added: "If you look at the Germany team that won the World Cup, every single one of those players played in B-teams. There are still discussions going on.
"In the end we can't force the clubs or the leagues to do it, but the problem is still there. Everyone recognises a problem, but no-one wants to solve it."
Dyke's commission also wants to set and deliver a target to significantly increase, above the levels of the game's Inclusion and Anti-Discrimination Plan, the number of qualified coaches from black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds and others currently under-represented, including female coaches.

He said: "The law allows you to discriminate in favour of particular backgrounds if they are under-represented and clearly in coaching they are under-represented.
"We have set some targets for people from these backgrounds and let's see how we are going to achieve that. It's the only way we will change. It doesn't mean we will definitely get them jobs - that's a different matter - but what we have to do is get people through the pipelines.
"One of the priorities is to get people of ethnic minorities backgrounds into coaching and through the system."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29572447

I think it's embarrassing it's took so long for someone from the FA to come out and finally say this - This has been going on for years.

Danny Mills said this:

"I've been watching my boys go through it for 10 years and they didn't play between November and February last season because the pitches were unplayable.

He's absolutely spot on! The last couple of years have been a joke - whether you play junior football, Sunday league football or at semi professional level, the pitches in England have simply been unplayable during the winter and the issue isn't being addressed.

When I was growing up we played in all weather conditions no matter what, probably like most on here did but thats not the case anymore. The slightest bit of rain is enough to call off any game over here now because of the "dangerous play" rule which has been added into football over the last 5+ years. The FA need to fix up on local playing pitches across the country because none of them are being taken care off and we NEED a lot more 3G pitches than what we currently have otherwise youngsters are never going to develop - It really is that simple. If this gets sorted then we can look into bringing in more coaches in which is also a big issue currently. When I was at college back in 2010 I was doing sport and during that time I found out about the lack off opportunities there was to become a footballing coach. You could do your badges ect but finding a club to coach at was extremely difficult.

I really hope the FA cracks down on this situation soon because otherwise in the next decade or so there will be a real lack of English talent coming through!
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Greg Dyke: Grassroots football 'is in a crisis'

Postby AFC10 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:35 pm

Lockey Park, the public park based in Wideopen North Tyneside, is set to reopen following a £300k transformation, following investment from North Tyneside Council and a £99k grant from the Premier League & The FA Facilities Fund.

The funding has been used to install a new floodlit third generation (3G) artificial grass pitch (AGP), as well as future improvements to the park’s existing grass pitches.

Funded by the Premier League, The FA, and the Government, via Sport England, the Premier League & The FA Facilities Fund is delivered by the Football Foundation, the country’s largest sports charity.

The Premier League and The FA Facilities Fund provides grants towards developing new or refurbished grassroots football facilities.

Since it was launched in 2000, the Football Foundation has awarded around 13,000 grants worth more than £500 million towards improving grassroots sport, which it has used to attract additional partnership funding of over £700 million, over £1.2 billion of investment into the grassroots game.

In addition to the pitches, an extension has also made to the car park, taking the 36 spaces to 58, helping to meet the demand and alleviate parking pressures in the area.

Moreover, to celebrate the reopening of the transformed facilities, the local authority has organised a range of free activities on Saturday, October 18.

From 11am to 2pm, the park will be taken over by a giant inflatable assault course and gladiator duel; a bouncy castle; sports including dodgeball, volleyball and football; and face painting.

Before the activities commence, North Tyneside Elected Mayor, Norma Redfearn will officially open the new facilities.

Also on Saturday 18, Wideopen Football Club (WFC) will be offering soccer skills training.

Norma said: "This is fantastic news for the whole community; the improvements will not only benefit Wideopen Football Club, but also local schools and the wider public.

"The grant has enabled the council to provide the very best facilities for these groups - which is something they longed for - and I know they are very excited about playing on the state-of-the-art pitch.

"I would like to personally invite residents to come along to the family fun day and enjoy all the free activities we have on offer."

Chairman of the football club, Mick Fawcett, said: "From humble beginnings, Wideopen Football Club can now celebrate having first class facilities with the clubhouse and now the completion of the new 3G pitch, which will benefit not only WFC but the whole community.

“On behalf of the club, I would like to thank all for making this happen".

Chief executive of the Football Foundation, Paul Thorogood, said: "The Football Foundation is responsible for managing and delivering the Premier League & The FA Facilities Fund, which is funded by the Premier League, The FA and the Government, via Sport England.

“This work in Lockey Park is an example of the positive impact that this funding is having on our grassroots game. First-class facilities like this are crucial to creating more opportunities for local people to enjoy regular sport.

"Aided by the Northumberland FA, North Tyneside Council deserves huge credit for taking a vision and turning it into a reality, using funding provided by the Premier League & The FA Facilities Fund.

“Sport has the power to make a positive impact on the health of communities and this wonderful new facility will improve the sporting experience of local people and encourage them to be more active."

https://bdaily.co.uk/business-in-sport/ ... k-funding/

Nice to see works being done already and the FA are sticking to their word.
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:57 pm

The big clubs need to do more, and local councils need to do more.

Tax breaks for the likes of GOALS soccer centres in return for them pledging to build more centres would be a good start. These centres are self sustaining, have all-weather pitches and would need no further public funding.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Yorkyblue » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:06 am

I know it's not easy for every club but the academy our owners are building is great for young English players. They will find it hard to get in our team but if they're good enough they will, or can still move on to other clubs.

They set a sight of being able to field an 11 from it in the long term future. I don't see it as possible though.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Mestig55Ozil » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:32 am

Of course it's possible but more unlikely the further you go up the pyramid. My club is the only one so far to have done it although that was in a meaningless game at the end of the season a couple of seasons ago now.
Lead Writer for The Footy Diary.

Supporter of 2013 Johnstone's Paint Trophy winners Crewe Alexandra.
Mestig55Ozil
Liam Brady

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:08 am

I think Barcelona did it, didn't they?

My local Rugby League team were pretty close to it last year and had our most successful league finish in about 40-50 years. Local coach, and most players from around here. Came within 1 game of finishing top of the league and also made the cup final. Not bad for relegation candidates!
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:19 am

Grass roots as I understand it is nothing to do with Arsenal or City. The Arsenals of this world scout their kids from the Barnets, and Haringey Boroughs (bet you never hesrd of them) of this world. That, along with local boys clubs, is grass roots.

Even Jack Wilshere didn't actually start at Arsenal. The first organised club he ever played for would have been somewhere else.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby AFC10 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:56 pm

UFGN wrote:Grass roots as I understand it is nothing to do with Arsenal or City. The Arsenals of this world scout their kids from the Barnets, and Haringey Boroughs (bet you never hesrd of them) of this world. That, along with local boys clubs, is grass roots.

Even Jack Wilshere didn't actually start at Arsenal. The first organised club he ever played for would have been somewhere else.

Pretty much.

It's very rare for a player from a PL club that has been at the club since day 1. They'll usually play for a local club close to the club then be signed on between the age of 12-15. You'll get the occasional player who had been with the club at the age of 9-11 but that's quite rare from what iv'e seen.

Since Dyke came out and said grassroots is in a crisis there has been a positive response atleast - Hopefully it's not a flash in the pan. There's been more events being organised and i've noticed Milner has teamed up with Playstation to make a lot of tournaments for youth clubs, during the winter around the country. It's nothing massive but it's a good start and something to build on.
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:27 pm

It might help if a system of grass roots "taxes" were brought in.

5% of all transfer fees, wages and bonuses paid to or for any player throughout their career is paid to the grass roots team the player played for between ages 9 and 15.

So for example Arsenal sign a player for £16M and pay him wages of £14M over four years. Thats a total 5% tax of £1.5M payable to whichever boys club he played for as a kid. If there is more than one club then the fee can be split into one year fractions of 0.7% per year.

If Arsenal then sell that player or give him a new contract then more fees are payable. So the nine year old kid trained by a local club who cant afford to buy a bag of footballs becomes a golden goose who's career helps dozens of future players.

If this was done by every club in the top four divisions then the overal effect of the money trickling down to "Random Athletics" all over the country would be very significant.

UFGN

Postby Santi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:43 pm

but then you'd get lower teams trying to flog players upwards rather than care about their development as such. plus what's to say they would use that money to produce more good players and improve their youth system over buying experienced players for the here and now? Don't get me wrong, I see the good in the idea but it's a hard thing to say would work completely.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:07 am

Mesüt wrote:but then you'd get lower teams trying to flog players upwards rather than care about their development as such. plus what's to say they would use that money to produce more good players and improve their youth system over buying experienced players for the here and now? Don't get me wrong, I see the good in the idea but it's a hard thing to say would work completely.

It would be in the club's best intersest to simply do their job and develop youngsters so that scouts from professional clubs would be looking at them. There would be no selling going on at all. No money would be payable until years later if the player becomes a professional in the football league.

Appropriate use of the money received would be a very important issue. But a set of rules and contracts could be drawn up by the FA legal department and, if necessary, underpinned by an act of parliament.

UFGN

Postby JordanTheGunner » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:41 am

Very good idea UFGN. Would love to see it. But sadly can't realistically foresee it, would undoubtably improve grassroots football and the quality of coaching throughout.
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby elkanofan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:39 pm

There is little to no interest in lower league football development period let alone grassroots. The whole scouting system seems broken also

Academies shouldn't be the only source to find professionals!

I'm getting fed up with this sports science shit.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Big17 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:44 pm

Football Association to invest £260m in grassroots game

The Football Association will invest a record £260m into the grassroots game over the next four years.
It is a £60m increase on the funding allotted for the previous four-year period, which ended this summer.
The FA plans to improve facilities and coaching in the amateur game, as well as increase the number of people taking part - although critics have suggested the funding is insufficient.
Chief executive Martin Glenn said: "Our goals are ambitious, but achievable."
Glenn, who was speaking at the launch of the National Game Strategy for Participation and Development, added: "There are challenges facing grassroots football both in terms of facilities and coaching.

"Today we have set out how we will tackle the challenges head on."
The FA's £260m input will be supported by a further multi-million pound investment, which will also help establish 30 new city hubs across England - featuring 4G pitches and new facilities.
Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester are among the cities to declare an interest in hosting the hubs.
The announcement comes amid continuing fears about the state of grassroots football in England.
Kenny Saunders, the founder of the Save Grass Roots Football campaign , believes the investment falls short of that required to improve football at grassroots level.
"It is not good enough," he told BBC Sport. "Football and grassroots football in this country is in massive crisis. [FA chairman] Greg Dyke himself has admitted that.

"There are teams and leagues folding left, right and centre and in four years we will lose many, many more to affordability. Four years is a long time and I am not prepared to wait for another FA strategy to fail.
"You don't build a house from the roof, you build it from the foundations. For years, the FA has looked after the top of the pyramid and the bottom has been forgotten about. This money will not touch the sides.
"It is not just about producing the next Steven Gerrard or Wayne Rooney. It is about keeping kids in the greatest game that has ever been formed and off the streets, away from gun crime and obesity."
There is also concern about the number of English players regularly starting for Premier League clubs. On the opening weekend of this season, 73 of the 220 players who started for the 20 top-flight clubs were English, leading FA chairman Dyke to suggest they were an "endangered species".
In 2013, Dyke created a commission with the aim to increase the number of English players in the Premier League to 45% by 2022.
In March of this year, the 68-year-old revealed that Premier League clubs had agreed to a consultation over his proposed changes to home-grown player rules, which include tightening restrictions on work permits and increasing the number of home-grown players in a club's first-team squad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33880772

Better news but Kenny Saunders comments are spot on in my opinion.
Big17
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Sims » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:21 pm

Dyke is a f***ing idiot

£260m is f**k all compared to whats needed. Grass roots football and the coaches being so shit and focused on physicality is the reasons why there's so little England players playing for good teams in the first place
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Return to Domestic Football