Alex Iwobi

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Alex Iwobi joins Everton

Postby Ach » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:09 pm

I share your pain.

I was 2nd pick so after salah went first pick, I was going to go for Kane. And got aguero ffs
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:17 pm

I'm very happy with this but now its actually done I am a bit remiss, he was a good lad who tried hard for us, but .................

I have sentiment at the right time, after the deed, before he was sold my business head is on and we'd never have gotten that sort of money for him again.

Plus lets not forget his end product is woeful and Everton fans very unhappy .......... what does that tell you, we were considering keeping a player even Everton fans are pissed about.

Hence what I mean't about you have save sentiment for the right time.

Also for gods sake, if he can't prove himself at Everton then he'd never of made it here, he knew he had troubles when we signed Pepe.

All in all this is for the best, Iwobi being sold for £40m is good for his profile, lets just hope he lives up to that transfer.
Last edited by DiamondGooner on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:18 pm

Hopefully he learns how to shoot with his laces.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby UFGN » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:21 pm

Sims wrote:
Ach wrote:
Sims wrote:picked him up on the draft for free

replaced trossard LOL

What's your draft team?

had an absolute mare

Leno; Sokratis, Evans, Lindelof; Pepe, Pogba, Barnes, Buendia, Iwobi; Adams, Maupay

Gunn, Andone, Bertrand, Vallejo

awful scenes

John Barnes and Tony Adams have both retired and neither were midfielders you numpty

Also, Brian Gunn doesn't play in goal anymore

These kids don't know they're born
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Re: Alex Iwobi (17)

Postby theHotHead » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:42 am

aniym wrote:Iwobi was a professional while he was here. I don't care about having 'Arsenal DNA'. Jenks had that, where did that get us??

Fact is Mhikhytaryan outscored him in the PL despite playing 10 less games and overall Iwobi had 11 goals in over 100 apps for us. Not good enough if we want to leave EL football behind. He needed a fresh start. Best of luck to him. hope the Everton fans give him a chance.

Jenks had no Arsenal DNA. Loving/being a fan of Arsenal does not mean he had Arsenal DNA, he had no quality and a bit of an engine, that is literally it.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:44 am

realtalk wrote:It's a strange sale. If there was someone to get sell it was mhki. But this is done now. Iwobi will leave and play well. Damn shame. He was home grown proper product. Just not sure this was good idea. Are depth is shrinking. All that's left is Nelson,sake,martenelli. Don't know if that's good enough or has enough exp.

How does a player with no end product give us more depth?? Its just a waste of a squad number
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:53 am

theHotHead wrote:
realtalk wrote:It's a strange sale. If there was someone to get sell it was mhki. But this is done now. Iwobi will leave and play well. Damn shame. He was home grown proper product. Just not sure this was good idea. Are depth is shrinking. All that's left is Nelson,sake,martenelli. Don't know if that's good enough or has enough exp.

How does a player with no end product give us more depth?? Its just a waste of a squad number

Iwobi isn't a great finisher but he's a versatile player, and was happy being a squad player - which is something we need to have. I am content with us having sold him because of Pepe's signing and the other young lads we have coming through, but to say he was a "waste of a squad number" is just wrong.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:59 am

Callum wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Iwobi isn't a great finisher but he's a versatile player, and was happy being a squad player - which is something we need to have. I am content with us having sold him because of Pepe's signing and the other young lads we have coming through, but to say he was a "waste of a squad number" is just wrong.

99% of professional players would be happy to be squad players with us.

Literally any player gives you more depth simply by existing, doesn't mean they wouldn't be a waste of a squad number.

Iwobi wasn't good enough.

I'm just happy we're no longer allowing deadwood players to remain here for years and years before selling them, as was the case when Wenger was here.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby LMAO » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:02 am

lmao we've actually managed to mug Everton off for Walcott, now Iwobi.

ngl though, I would've preferred having Iwobi in the squad this season, but I understand why the club sold him. Another year on the bench and his value decreases, plus we have youth players that have shown they deserve a chance, especially since Iwobi hasn't improved his end product in two seasons.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Callum » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:29 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:99% of professional players would be happy to be squad players with us.

Literally any player gives you more depth simply by existing, doesn't mean they wouldn't be a waste of a squad number.

Iwobi wasn't good enough.

I'm just happy we're no longer allowing deadwood players to remain here for years and years before selling them, as was the case when Wenger was here.

I guess my point is I rated Iwobi a lot higher than most people here. I never saw him as a consistent starter for us unless he improved a lot, and always liked him for his versatility and with the view that he would improve. He was a frustrating player at times and we've gotten a good deal for him but my opinion was he was unfairly scapegoated by portions of the fanbase.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:41 am

Not sure how this deal helps us, Iwobi just 23 had four years left on his contract so there would have been no issue about him leaving on a fee, all we have done is strengthen a rival's squad and weaken our own (by a lot or a little will depend on how well he plays) and for what? 35m in the bank that we can't use for 6/12 months. Iwobi's value has increased from 9m to 35m in the last 18 months, very much doubt that will go down.

Whilst I don't think Everton have got a bargain, frankly I don't care about them, I just wonder who thought we benefited from letting Iwobi go at the end of a window without a replacement, was it all about the bank balance?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Callum » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:57 am

EliteKiller wrote:Not sure how this deal helps us, Iwobi just 23 had four years left on his contract so there would have been no issue about him leaving on a fee, all we have done is strengthen a rival's squad and weaken our own (by a lot or a little will depend on how well he plays) and for what? 35m in the bank that we can't use for 6/12 months. Iwobi's value has increased from 9m to 35m in the last 18 months, very much doubt that will go down.

Whilst I don't think Everton have got a bargain, frankly I don't care about them, I just wonder who thought we benefited from letting Iwobi go at the end of a window without a replacement, was it all about the bank balance?

Lots of people feel like Iwobi is trash, apparently. I agree with a lot of this though. Have mixed feelings about him leaving but I trust Raul and co. for now.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:59 am

EliteKiller wrote:Not sure how this deal helps us, Iwobi just 23 had four years left on his contract so there would have been no issue about him leaving on a fee, all we have done is strengthen a rival's squad and weaken our own (by a lot or a little will depend on how well he plays) and for what? 35m in the bank that we can't use for 6/12 months. Iwobi's value has increased from 9m to 35m in the last 18 months, very much doubt that will go down.

We got decent money for a shit player.

His value would only decrease. He wasn't getting any better. And after spending money over 130m I think, we did well to recoup some back.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:05 am

Ach wrote:We got decent money for a shit player.

His value would only decrease. He wasn't getting any better. And after spending money over 130m I think, we did well to recoup some back.

Only in your head ... his value has increased every year why's that about to change? what did we recoup he's a development player ... not our problem now so enough said.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby VCC » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:34 am

Wish him luck against every team other than us, not the worst player but far from great
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football