Alex Iwobi

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Alex Iwobi (17)

Postby ESR10 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:39 pm

Sims wrote:Needs to be moulded into a deeper position where his lack of decisiveness in the final third is less important

This. Would love to see him as a B2B Midfielder
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:26 pm

Mustafi wrote:
Sims wrote:Needs to be moulded into a deeper position where his lack of decisiveness in the final third is less important

I've commented previously on the thread that I think he's a midfielder being played out wide so yeah, I can envision him playing as a B2B given his physical attributes and athleticism, coupled with a good engine, eye for a pass and that his goals that spring to mind (admittedly only 3) are from him arriving at the right time and place.

It's just that he does have those instinctive, intricate, deft and incisive passes trade marked by the likes of an Ozil, Santi, Silva etc, in his locker and why I think his natural game is more akin to that of those players and the forward midfield area being the office he works in.

End product as in goal scoring might be a bit deficient as it stands, but if he can overcome his indecisiveness and counter by supplying our strikers with 20 goals a season, I could live with that.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zedie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:31 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
Mustafi wrote:

I've commented previously on the thread that I think he's a midfielder being played out wide so yeah, I can envision him playing as a B2B given his physical attributes and athleticism, coupled with a good engine, eye for a pass and that his goals that spring to mind (admittedly only 3) are from him arriving at the right time and place.

It's just that he does have those instinctive, intricate, deft and incisive passes trade marked by the likes of an Ozil, Santi, Silva etc, in his locker and why I think his natural game is more akin to that of those players and the forward midfield area being the office he works in.

End product as in goal scoring might be a bit deficient as it stands, but if he can overcome his indecisiveness and counter by supplying our strikers with 20 goals a season, I could live with that.

Playing as a deeper CM would mean he had to positionally aware and defensively switched on. Iwobi would 100% drift forward too far and leave holes in the middle of the park.

If he hit 20-25 goals and assists a season, there wouldn't be an issue, but I just haven't seen him show enough to make anyone think he could do anywhere near that.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:19 pm

Zedie wrote:If he hit 20-25 goals and assists a season, there wouldn't be an issue, but I just haven't seen him show enough to make anyone think he could do anywhere near that.

I don't see why Iwobi couldn't be hitting those numbers in his next few seasons... Especially since the skillset is there and the only thing missing is better decision making in the final third. I'd rather have someone like that than a player who's a comfortable finisher but is simply limited and lacks real quality. Those never improve. Granted, when it comes to quality Iwobi isn't his uncle but he still has room to improve and hit those 20+ numbers...

Iwobi last season at 23:
3 goals and 7 assists in 1968 minutes

Zaha 15/16 at 23:
2 goals and 5 assists in 2492 minutes

Zaha had 20 goal contributions last season...
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Zedie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:25 pm

Jedi wrote:
Zedie wrote:If he hit 20-25 goals and assists a season, there wouldn't be an issue, but I just haven't seen him show enough to make anyone think he could do anywhere near that.

I don't see why Iwobi couldn't be hitting those numbers in his next few seasons... Especially since the skillset is there and the only thing missing is better decision making in the final third. I'd rather have someone like that than a player who's a comfortable finisher but is simply limited and lacks real quality. Those never improve. Granted, when it comes to quality Iwobi isn't his uncle but he still has room to improve and hit those 20+ numbers...

Iwobi last season at 23:
3 goals and 7 assists in 1968 minutes

Zaha 15/16 at 23:
2 goals and 5 assists in 2492 minutes

Zaha had 20 goal contributions last season...

That's a great point, but I just cant see iwobi getting confidence to shoot consistently or keeping calm under pressure.

Zaha on the other hand has ironed most of his issues out and is more decisive which of course comes with age and experience.

I'm really not sure whether iwobi is worth taking the risk on being the main man for another 2-3 seasons simply because hes never shown that ability over a chain of games.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:52 am

Zaha had a big reputation in his first stint at Palace,its what led to his big money move to Man U. Iwobi doesn't have anywhere near that presence at Arsenal. That said it could be Zaha was a somewhat big fish in a tiny Palace pond.

Iwobi has had far more experience for me at 23 compared to Zaha, when you consider Iwobi is an established Nigerian international too. I don't see him developing his finishing. He and Zaha have different mindsets. Iwobi is a bit of a fairy, Zaha will take a boot to the head, he sometimes bulldozes his way through.

I like the idea of Iwobi playing deeper, it does make sense. But the deeper you play him the more defensive he needs to be and the aforementioned "fairyness" of Iwobi, his unwillingness to tackle, would be a problem.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:44 am

Zedie wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:
Mustafi wrote:

Playing as a deeper CM would mean he had to positionally aware and defensively switched on. Iwobi would 100% drift forward too far and leave holes in the middle of the park.

If he hit 20-25 goals and assists a season, there wouldn't be an issue, but I just haven't seen him show enough to make anyone think he could do anywhere near that.

I am pretty much in agreement with your first comment as an assessment of his game up to now. However, I do think that being re-immersed into midfield and the heart of the battle instead of being on the periphery out wide, could be the key to removing the door stop holding back the development of his potential.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Iwobi would suddenly turn into Steven Gerrard 2.0 and just boss the midfield, only that he could play the role in a similar fashion to how Santi did when played centrally alongside Le Coq and used his skill and brains alongside graft and vision to master the position, or at least he did to me. I can't remember any crunching tackles from Santi to win the ball but lots of challenges where he just nicked it off their toes like a proper baller. I just think Iwobi is capable of doing something similar, that's all.

Regards the goals and assists, again fair comment and I am honestly not trying to be facetious or anything, but did Ferguson or anyone for that matter see the precocious talent that CR7 had as a brilliant world class winger developing into one of the greatest strikers of all time, and even arguably the best?
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby PairyGrows » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:50 am

I don't think Iwobi has the footballing brain or the passing to play as a play making midfielder a la Santi Cazorla.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:51 am

Iwobi's best moments come when he's more central.

He should either adapt his game to drift in more when played wide, if that's possible or my preference would be for him to play as an 8 or 10. Has the two footed feint ability to get out of tight spots (Pro Evo style) his passing ability is underrated. Was looking some of the tidy over the top lofted through ball passes he makes but came across the above video.

I also can't stand the 'no footballing brain' type comments. I rarely see such comments for Xhaka, Ramsey, Torreira or even Ozil despite the fact that each of them have flaws in their game but haven't adjusted to their approach to adapt to what's needed each game. But I always see that $hit for players with a certain look or background as if there game is just all about the physical. It's subtle.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Dejan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:58 am

Dont want to see iwobi central at all. Way too sloppy. He is the only wide player we have and probably the only one that somewhat knows how to dribble past a player

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:02 am

Dejan wrote:Dont want to see iwobi central at all. Way too sloppy. He is the only wide player we have and probably the only one that somewhat knows how to dribble past a player

You wouldn't want to see him in that position over Xhaka?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Dejan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:05 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Dejan wrote:Dont want to see iwobi central at all. Way too sloppy. He is the only wide player we have and probably the only one that somewhat knows how to dribble past a player

Hell f***ing no.
Xhaka is a total bellend but far more suited to that role than iwobi

My man douzi will take that place this year

Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:11 am

Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Hell f***ing no.

Xhaka is far from suited for that role. He can't defend, basic passing and also more of a liability on the ball through his lack of awareness. I'd rather take a risk on someone learning the position and someone that actually has the ability to dribble out of tight spaces. Iwobi has a lot more in common with Rosicky and Santi than Xhaka.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Dejan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:14 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Hell f***ing no.

Xhaka is far from suited for that role. He can't defend, basic passing and also more of a liability on the ball through his lack of awareness. I'd rather take a risk on someone learning the position and someone that actually has the ability to dribble out of tight spaces. Iwobi has a lot more in common with Rosicky and Santi than Xhaka.
I think xhaka knows how to defend far better than iwobi. And his sloppy passing has actually reduced massively last season. And this is coming from his number 1 "hater".

If we put iwobi there. We have a 5'6 60kg midget next to a headless chicken who has zero defensive abilities. This is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Gendouzi - torreira is the way forward

Also torreira is not good enough defensively imo to have a cazorla type next to him.
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:42 am

Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Hell f***ing no.

I think xhaka knows how to defend far better than iwobi. And his sloppy passing has actually reduced massively last season. And this is coming from his number 1 "hater".

If we put iwobi there. We have a 5'6 60kg midget next to a headless chicken who has zero defensive abilities. This is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Gendouzi - torreira is the way forward

Also torreira is not good enough defensively imo to have a cazorla type next to him.

We can agree on Guendouzi and a Torreira combo through the middle for the future but I'd still play Iwobi in a 3 man midfield with those two included.

Came across this today. May explain the inconsistent performances.
“I’m happy to play anywhere, I will play wherever I’m told to play,” Iwobi told Goal.

“Growing up I’ve been playing as an attacking midfielder, more central in the midfield. I wouldn’t say if I’m most comfortable there but that’s where I grew up playing.

“I’ve always seen myself as a midfielder but wherever I’m being told to play in the middle or somewhere, I will always give my best.”

https://www.goal.com/en/news/alex-iwobi ... 34jt7o7jjt
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football