Alexis Sánchez ~ El Niño Maravilla

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Alexis Sanchez (7)

Postby ALLCAPS_ » Sun May 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Nah man I can't take another domestic transfer saga, get him out the country at all costs.

Realistically, how do we replace this guy if he leaves?
ALLCAPS_
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sun May 28, 2017 10:00 pm

ALLCAPS_ wrote:Nah man I can't take another domestic transfer saga, get him out the country at all costs.

The Ox with his improvement is like a new signing?
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsene Nose » Sun May 28, 2017 10:02 pm

GoonerAlexis wrote:
ALLCAPS_ wrote:Nah man I can't take another domestic transfer saga, get him out the country at all costs.

The Ox with his improvement is like a new signing?

Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby MecurialGooner » Sun May 28, 2017 10:04 pm

We can't replace Sanchez in this window. Look at his stats for the season, no way we can buy a player that will deliver that many goals and assists in the 17/18 season. He scores so many crucial goals too - match winning goals.

Especially without CL football there's just no one we can get a player as good as him this summer. It's a shame really. We really have to try our best to keep him. The only option I can see is Aguero. He can score goals I hear.
MecurialGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sun May 28, 2017 10:08 pm

MecurialGooner wrote:We can't replace Sanchez in this window. Look at his stats for the season, no way we can buy a player that will deliver that many goals and assists in the 17/18 season. He scores so many crucial goals too - match winning goals.

Especially without CL football there's just no one we can get a player as good as him this summer. It's a shame really. We really have to try our best to keep him. The only option I can see is Aguero. He can score goals I hear.

*In best Wenger voice
Wenger: We have a lot of quality strikers. We have Giroud, Welbeck, Walcott can play striker, so can Sanchez
Reporter: But Arsene, Sanchez is leaving
Wenger: Sanogo is also a striker. I don't see you talking about him. He's French, and looks like Henry, but I'm sorry he didn't cost 50 million so he can't be any good.
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby ALLCAPS_ » Sun May 28, 2017 10:10 pm

Anyone see much of Mertens this season at Napoli? He's the only guy I can think of that might be suitable and available.
ALLCAPS_
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Callum » Sun May 28, 2017 10:21 pm

The Mountain that Rides wrote:
Callum wrote:First prediction of the summer - we sell Alexis to Bayern and then use the money to buy Riyad Mahrez from Leicester.

It'd make more sense to swap him for Aguero and then buy Mahrez or whoever with money from our transfer kitty. In many ways at least. Obviously Sanchez joining forces with De Bruyne and co would be a slightly scary prospect, but having Ozil feeding Aguero would be a pretty exciting prospect, assuming we can persuade Ozil to stay of course. He doesn't seem as ambitious as Sanchez though.

Not a chance that we'd get Aguero, and we'd be fools to hand Alexis over to City. Makes far more sense to sell Alexis abroad and reinvest the funds elsewhere.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Gooner_ESR10 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:22 pm

Yeh enough of giving our competitors our best players.
Gooner_ESR10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Sun May 28, 2017 10:25 pm

With the Ozil/ Alexis situation I'm resigned to the fact that they're both going to leave so now it's a case of making the best out of a bad situation - sell them to a foreign side for a good fee and then reinvest the money elsewhere. Every club outside of the top 3/4 the world will be forced to sell their best players from time to time and even then there are exceptions (i.e. Kroos to Real, Thiago to Bayern) so even if we do lose one of our star men or both, we need to make sure we recover.

Look at Juventus last summer - they lost Pogba, their star man, and went and spent the money on the likes of Pjanic and Higuain and they look even better. It's impossible for us to get like-for-like replacements for Ozil and Alexis but we can at the very least mitigate the effects of their departures as much as possible by spending money effectively.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun May 28, 2017 10:34 pm

Lemar, Mahrez and a good striker.

Everyone thought we couldn't replace RVP when he dragged us to 4th, well we did even with that donkey up front...the goals were just more spread across the team.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby maxgunner » Sun May 28, 2017 10:46 pm

maxgunner wrote:Wondering what you people think are the possible outcomes for the following scenario:

Let's say Alexis wants to remain in the PL rather than go and play for a team abroad (Bayern, PSG, you name it) and informs the club he wants this or he will stay until the end of his contract.

What do you guys think it will happen?

- We will force his hand and still sell him abroad (not sure if we actually can do this btw)
- He'll be allowed to finish his contract and leave for free next year
- The board will allow him to go to a PL team before losing money
- None of the above (add yours)

Bumping this up to get your feedback lads, thanks

(trolls don't count)
maxgunner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Angelito » Sun May 28, 2017 11:40 pm

Why do people want Mahrez? He's 10% as talented as Ozil, with as much the work rate.

That said, not that I'd mind him if it were down to him and that England legend called Theo.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MecurialGooner » Mon May 29, 2017 1:00 am

Mesüt wrote:Lemar, Mahrez and a good striker.

Everyone thought we couldn't replace RVP when he dragged us to 4th, well we did even with that donkey up front...the goals were just more spread across the team.

Obviously any player can be replaced if the goals are spread across the team. I'm specifically talking about buying a player that will deliver what Sanchez has just delivered this season. Can you think of any targets we could buy that will be able to produce roughly the same number of goals and assists? I can't. That's the main point. We could bring in those 3 players you mentioned and of course across all 3, they should score as many or more than Sanchez on his own.

But there isn't one single player in the world today that we can realistically buy who can replace Sanchez is my point.
MecurialGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby 22-0 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:04 am

we def did not replace RVP yet.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Mike Dean » Mon May 29, 2017 1:16 am

We are not a big club if we sell Sanchez.

Cant hide behind the "we cant afford him because of the stadium" excuse anymore.

If we lose either Sanchez or Ozil, it means we are either cheap, or lack ambition, or both.

A big club would bring in 2 or 3 more big name players to play alongside these two.

The chemistry between Sanchez and Ozil is already fantastic. They understand each other's movement and are always linking up with each other. We would be fools to break up our best link up. Just add more quality around them. Spend big to get a WC striker already ffs.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club