All things Man United

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Manchester United Sponsorships

Postby prolific » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:24 pm

As @DarrenArsenal1 states theres a fair bit more in the deal but even then there is no denying the brand power Utd has.
You're Scared Of Change.
prolific
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby kronickaos » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:07 am

such is life.

Most casual football fans here in the states are United "supporters" because of all the winning they've done. Winning translates to money irregardless of what people say. Look at teams like the Yankees and LA Lakers, they consistently win and thus their "fan" base is huge which translates to big contracts when it comes to things like merchandising.

The San Francisco Giants won a couple of championships over the past 3 years and I started seeing Giants gear in Germany... Germans wearing clothing from an American baseball team half way around the world? I guarentee 90% of the people couldn't name 5 players on the team, but because they were the champs, people want to be seen wearing the gear.
kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:03 am

That is why winning is so important if we reall y want to be a big club.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Leody » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 am

Comes as absolutely no surprise what-so-ever. They have about 650 million fans worldwide... Arsenal has 115 million.

Of course their deals are going to be worth a shitload more, they're going to reach a shitload more people. They're is no sense in comparing our marketing dollars to theirs. It would be more fitting to compare ourselves to Liverpool in that regard.

Time to start winning something.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:50 am

so how much is this deal compared to our puma deal?
all these numbers are confusing..
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Leody » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:55 am

I think it was like £150m over 5 years... I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:14 am

LONDON (AP) — Manchester United has sold the naming rights to its training ground as part of a sponsorship deal with insurance firm Aon estimated to be worth $230 million, a further sign of the Premier League leader's off-field money-making abilities. The eight-year agreementwith Aon starts in July and includes having the company's logos emblazoned on the training kit at United, which is on course to win a record-extending 20th English title in the coming weeks. Aon's name currently appears on United's main match kit in a $130 million, four-year deal, but General Motors Co.'s Chevrolet division takes over that sponsorship in a $559 million, seven-year deal from the 2014-15 season. Financial details of the new Aon deal were not publicly disclosed, but it is estimated to be worth $230 million over eight years and will also see the company provide United with business expertise. United bought out its previous training kit sponsorship deal with express delivery and freight firm DHL early in a bid to secure more cash, with that agreement having been worth around $65 million over four years. Although United is now also selling the naming rights to its vast training center at Carrington in south Manchester, the club has no plans to sell the rights to its main stadium. "Old Trafford will not be sold," United's executive vice chairman, Ed Woodward, said Sunday.

230 million dollars(=142m pounds). 8 years = 17.75m pounds per year
(shirt deal) 559 million dollars(=346m pounds). = 7 years = 50m pounds per year

Arsenal's shirt deal. 150m pounds. 5 years. = 30m pounds per year

Well there goes our super deal.

Corrwect me if im wrong
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Yorkyblue » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:19 am

As I kept saying before about City - It wouldn't take long for ours not to be huge anymore. Well, it's huge but will be lots higher by the time it's up.

Leody, funny isn't it that they have 650million fans and brag about it - yet sell match day tickets in Manchester post offices and can't sell out. Wonder how long the season ticket waiting list is with that many fans. Oh wait! There isn't one. They beg locals to buy them with flyers and don't sell those out either.

It wouldn't be so bad but if I meet a United fan and ask if they have ever been, the reply is usually 'I cant get a ticket'. :lol:
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:13 am

Yorkyblue wrote:As I kept saying before about City - It wouldn't take long for ours not to be huge anymore. Well, it's huge but will be lots higher by the time it's up.

Leody, funny isn't it that they have 650million fans and brag about it - yet sell match day tickets in Manchester post offices and can't sell out. Wonder how long the season ticket waiting list is with that many fans. Oh wait! There isn't one. They beg locals to buy them with flyers and don't sell those out either.

It wouldn't be so bad but if I meet a United fan and ask if they have ever been, the reply is usually 'I cant get a ticket'. :lol:

Ive never been there but it always looks full on the TV
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Zenith » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:21 am

Yeah they have the second highest average attendance behind Dortmund I believe.

Though, that doesn't change Yorky's point, a majority of their STH could be from anywhere in England, if not from abroad.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:26 am

I said at the time we did our deal it was average at the time and would look poor within a couple years.

Leödy wrote:Comes as absolutely no surprise what-so-ever. They have about 650 million fans worldwide... Arsenal has 115 million.

You can't possibly know something like that. If their fan base is even half that I'd be shocked.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:33 am

Average attendance at OT was over 75000 last season
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Leody » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:53 am

CynicalGooner wrote:I said at the time we did our deal it was average at the time and would look poor within a couple years.

Leödy wrote:Comes as absolutely no surprise what-so-ever. They have about 650 million fans worldwide... Arsenal has 115 million.

You can't possibly know something like that. If their fan base is even half that I'd be shocked.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1345 ... s-fan-base

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21478857

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... years.html

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Featu ... llion.aspx

You don't have to believe it if you don't want to, but if you choose not to, you're just denying the truth. Come over here to the US sometime. 80% of the people you talk to that know anything of the EPL will tell you they're a United fan. They may not be able to name more than 4 players and probably don't even know Fergie retired, but if they spunk $100 a year on merchandise that just feeds the monster marketing machine.

Even if you want to use the small number from the BBC article and say it's around 330 million that's nearly triple the Arsenal fan base. So they should see triple the marketing income.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:57 am

There really is no point trying to compare their revenues with ours sponsorship wise. In fact, weve done very well to even get to those levels considering we havent won a trophy in so long.

ultimately, man u were selling everything they could fit their name on for ages now, long before we even considered the new stadium etc.

Shit, I remember when it was probably easier to get some man u branded merchandise than it was to get arsenal stuff in north west london ffs.

we are doing fine. If we get a few major trophies, we look more attractive.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Stating the obvious I know but sucess = trophies = cup finals = huge tv audiences = advertisers want their name on your shirt.

UFGN

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football