Divers should be punished

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Divers should be punished

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:41 pm

Fordy wrote:for me we all love the sport and places like this are here because we love the sport, we love to debate each game and wrong decisions are part of that for me and part of what i enjoy.

People moaned about offsides not been fair so they tried to fix it and look at what we now have its 10 x worse than ever before.

Video refs every one asks for how long before ever decision goes to them it would brake up play and would probebly hurt a team like arsenal more than anyone.

Firstly, it's easy to say all this until it affects you.
You wouldn't post that if Leeds get relegated (again) because of a dive.

Secondly people always keep using this crap excuse that video technology will interrupt the flow of the game but it's been proven in other sports (e.g. tennis) that it doesn't.
Think about how much time is wasted when a crowd of players gather round the ref and protest that the player who just won a penalty dived and he has to stand there for 2 minutes and tell them to go away and then book three of them for dissent.
Far longer than quickly checking a video replay.

People say that we'd be stopping every 3 minutes to look at every foul and throw-in if we had video replays but as I said before it wouldn't work like that.
Just like in tennis you'd only be allowed to use the video a set number of times in a game and that's your lot.
The FA could EASILY set up a system whereby the fourth official has a monitor and each manager is allowed only TWO challenges in a game each.
If they don't use one of those challenges in the first half they lose one so they're only allowed one challenge per half.
This prevents them from using both challenges in the final 10 minutes interrupting the game four times at the end.

Limiting the number of challenges each manager can make ensures that they won't keep stopping play for every minor foul.
If you've only got 2 challenges in an entire game you aint going to use one for a throw-in only to find that later on when a penalty is awarded against you, you have no challenges left.
Managers will save them up for the very controversial decisions and that will mean that in some games they don't even end up using them at all.

It's not rocket science, it's mind-buggeringly simple really.

Some say that even with video replays you can still never be 100% sure and to an extent that's true but let's face it you're ten times more likely to get the decision right if you've seen it again in slow motion from 37 different angles.
All those goal-line decisions and ghost goals and goals that never were would be wiped out in an instant.
I still can't see any convincing argument why we shouldn't at least try this out in a lower league.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fordy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:06 pm

You can ask trina this is 100% true leeds had a perfectly good goal disalowed agianst pool and a perfectly good penaulty decision turned down and lost 1-0 now yes i was pissed at the minute of it happening but i got over it and accepted it as part of the game.
Fordy

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:18 pm

You are truly unique and special Fordy.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Popey » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:19 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Fordy wrote:for me we all love the sport and places like this are here because we love the sport, we love to debate each game and wrong decisions are part of that for me and part of what i enjoy.

People moaned about offsides not been fair so they tried to fix it and look at what we now have its 10 x worse than ever before.

Video refs every one asks for how long before ever decision goes to them it would brake up play and would probebly hurt a team like arsenal more than anyone.

Secondly people always keep using this crap excuse that video technology will interrupt the flow of the game but it's been proven in other sports (e.g. tennis) that it doesn't.
Think about how much time is wasted when a crowd of players gather round the ref and protest that the player who just won a penalty dived and he has to stand there for 2 minutes and tell them to go away and then book three of them for dissent.

People say that we'd be stopping every 3 minutes to look at every foul and throw-in if we had video replays but as I said before it wouldn't work like that.
Just like in tennis you'd only be allowed to use the video a set number of times in a game and that's your lot.
The FA could EASILY set up a system whereby the fourth official has a monitor and each manager is allowed only TWO challenges in a game each.
If they don't use one of those challenges in the first half they lose one so they're only allowed one challenge per half.
This prevents them from using both challenges in the final 10 minutes interrupting the game four times at the end.

Limiting the number of challenges each manager can make ensures that they won't keep stopping play for every minor foul.
If you've only got 2 challenges in an entire game you aint going to use one for a throw-in only to find that later on when a penalty is awarded against you, you have no challenges left.
Managers will save them up for the very controversial decisions and that will mean that in some games they don't even end up using them at all.

Some say that even with video replays you can still never be 100% sure and to an extent that's true but let's face it you're ten times more likely to get the decision right if you've seen it again in slow motion from 37 different angles.
All those goal-line decisions and ghost goals and goals that never were would be wiped out in an instant.
I still can't see any convincing argument why we shouldn't at least try this out in a lower league.

:clap: post of the year. thanks inch :hail: :arsesmile:

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Inchpractice wrote:

I agree 100%
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Cripps » Thu May 18, 2017 2:41 pm

Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Thu May 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Cripps wrote:http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39962886

Finally

About time, it will be interesting ;)
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Yago » Thu May 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Alli should just leave for Spain or something.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby Zenith » Thu May 18, 2017 3:54 pm

Cripps wrote:http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39962886

Finally

About quarter of a century late, but better late than never.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Nuggets » Thu May 18, 2017 4:02 pm

Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal players are bookies' favourites for first retroactive diving ban

http://www.football.london/premier-leag ... s-13056777
Nuggets

Postby UFGN » Thu May 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Fuckin obviously. About 20 years late. That's how long theyve had multi angle coverage and could have done it.

I would like something else added. If a player falls over they should be obliged to tell the referee that's what happened rather than accept a free kick/pen. If they don't it should be treated the same as a dive. (Fowler/Seaman)

Gentlemanly conduct. It used to be a thing.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Nuggets » Thu May 18, 2017 4:06 pm

UFGN wrote:Fuckin obviously. About 20 years late. That's how long theyve had multi angle coverage and could have done it.

I would like something else added. If a player falls over they should be obliged to tell the referee that's what happened rather than accept a free kick/pen. If they don't it should be treated the same as a dive. (Fowler/Seaman)

Gentlemanly conduct. It used to be a thing.

Long gone in this age. :(
Nuggets

Postby Cripps » Thu May 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Is sticking your leg out to make sure youre touched diving?
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu May 18, 2017 4:38 pm

Cripps wrote:Is sticking your leg out to make sure youre touched diving?

Yes. It's a contact sport. Ending up on the floor should be the symptom, not the intent
Last edited by UFGN on Thu May 18, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Cripps » Thu May 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Lets hope they see it that way
Cripps
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football