Newcastle United

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Newcastle United

Postby Ach » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:39 am

Not surprised. He'll do well
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:37 pm

Wow. This looks pretty concrete now.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:15 pm

I don't know if Emery is the guy. There's facing relegation as it stands, and have a squad of mostly average players who know their time at the club is limited. Hard to motivate that lot, and that's never been his strength anyway.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:22 pm

If it is to be Emery, hope they stay up.

Joe Willock about to become goat
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:32 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:I don't know if Emery is the guy. There's facing relegation as it stands, and have a squad of mostly average players who know their time at the club is limited. Hard to motivate that lot, and that's never been his strength anyway.

The way I see it, they're not concerned about relegation. They'll be back up. That's when the project really starts for them.

Unai is the perfect foil. A manager with European pedigree and someone who wouldn't overshadow the board with his personality. They can use him to assemble a good squad before a top manager takes it from there.

If this does go through, he will be to Newcastle what Ranieri was to Chelsea.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:42 pm

Bad choice imo.

Emery is good at working with what he has, I don't think he's a good manager for creating a star team.

He's quite frugal with his ideas, in some ways that will hold them back, not propel them.

But who know's, he may do well?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:52 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Bad choice imo.

Emery is good at working with what he has, I don't think he's a good manager for creating a star team.

He's quite frugal with his ideas, in some ways that will hold them back, not propel them.

Yep, Newcastle need a multi-year squad and culture rebuild to remove the stench of the Ashley era.

You bring in Emery to win EL, when the bones of the squad are good if not great. We were in the Europa semis already with Wenger, Emery got to the final. If we had Ramsey and Mhikitaryan available, and a clown-free defense, we could have won it.

I guess a lot depends on whether he will get the sort of time that OGS and Arteta have been granted. The pressure at Newcastle will probably be less than at Arsenal though.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:25 am

Emery has turned them down.

Looks like it's just Eddie Howe now. At least he has experience of a relegation battle. Not a successful one but nevertheless.

:lol:
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Fran Solo » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:34 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Bad choice imo.

A manager who is good at creating a team... Hmm... Nuno Espirito Santo?
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fran Solo » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:36 am

Reiss wrote:I don't understand why managers are viewed differently to what they actually were, later down the line. It happened with Wenger and now it's happening with Emery.

I'm seeing fans and media saying he did okay at Arsenal, he should have been given more time and he would be a good appointment for Newcastle. We were conceding 20 shots on goal every game under him. Emery was flippin' useless here.

He's a good manager in Spain where he has no language barrier and can get his ideas across clearly but he's no good for the PL. I suppose Newcastle fans are happy because it's someone other than Bruce and Emery has European experience so they are excited about it. But I scroll down twitter and the same opposition fans that were constantly mocking Wenger are now saying stuff like 'if only you had Wenger back' and 'you took Wenger for granted'. Weird.

You're correct. Emery's biggest mistake was not using a translator.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:05 am

Reiss wrote:I don't understand why managers are viewed differently to what they actually were, later down the line. It happened with Wenger and now it's happening with Emery.

I'm seeing fans and media saying he did okay at Arsenal, he should have been given more time and he would be a good appointment for Newcastle. We were conceding 20 shots on goal every game under him. Emery was flippin' useless here.

He's a good manager in Spain where he has no language barrier and can get his ideas across clearly but he's no good for the PL. I suppose Newcastle fans are happy because it's someone other than Bruce and Emery has European experience so they are excited about it. But I scroll down twitter and the same opposition fans that were constantly mocking Wenger are now saying stuff like 'if only you had Wenger back' and 'you took Wenger for granted'. Weird.

Name these games where we conceded 20 shots.

I recall one vs. Watford that ended 2-2. That's preferable to hapless performances like 0-2 vs Brentford, where we struggled to string 2 passes together.

Emery's lowest point at this club is still Arteta's highest ever league finish.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:34 am

The shots against stat was such bs lol

Included blocked shots, shots from 50 yards etc
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:43 pm

It's not at all weird.

Some managers simply aren't cut for certain clubs. A manager's style should be in line with the philosophy of the club. Most top managers could accommodate but they wouldn't always produce the best results. Take Simeone. He'd probably struggle at Real, or Klopp might struggle at Chelsea. Pep mightn't replicate his success at Atlético. Although, to be fair, Klopp is perhaps the only coach out there who might fit in at most clubs, except maybe Atleti.

Chelsea is one of the exceptions as a club but they don't rely on their head coach for recruitment or short/medium term planning.

Emery didn't succeed at Arsenal. Some Arsenal fans did bring that up when Arsenal hired him. He's not a good fit for a club like Arsenal. However, that doesn't mean he's a mediocre manager. He's actually good but he's good for certain clubs as you mentioned.

A club that hires him with the view of getting top-4 or to challenge for league titles would be ill-advised. He's a Europa League legend. He's a perfect manager for a club that is happy to remain in the top-8, win the EL, and star in a guest appearances in the UCL following the EL route of qualification.

On Newcastle, Emery might not be cut for a relegation battle. That's one stance. Who knows though? As I've mentioned before, Newcastle wouldn't mind relegation as they'd most likely be right back up in the Prem. They wouldn't want that of course. But this recruitment was probably thought out as a medium-term project—to steady the ship—before they could hire a top manager. He seems to have turned them down, so that's that.

Finally, Wenger... Well, people aren't off target when they claim that Wenger was hashly judged in his final two seasons, or some Gooners took him for granted. We're not exactly in a better place since Wenger left. Two managers and £450m later, we're out of Europe altogether and the goal, for this season, isn't top-4, but top-7 in all likelihood. We don't play that beautiful football anymore. We have struggled to score goals at a premium since his departure (Emery's first season being the exception).

Both versions could ring true. Wenger could have been taken for granted, whilst Arteta could be the man to take us to promise land. The latter hasn't proven much yet. But there is a possibility even if I haven't been awfully impressed so far.

The truth, usually, is somewhere in the middle of two extremes.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Angelito » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:29 pm

Reiss wrote:Wenger made mediocrity acceptable and started the slide. Just because we aren't doing well doesn't mean the decision to get rid of him was wrong. The decision making post-Wenger has been awful.

Not Wenger. If the club, back then, had set its eyes on winning more league titles over the austerity of the stadium move, Wenger wouldn't be a factor.

Since Arsenal sought modernization over immediate success, Wenger had to essentially play the role of Arsenal's financial director for nearly a decade.

Even as far back as 2005, Wenger stated that UCL qualification was more important for Arsenal than a FA Cup win. This was before our FA Cup victory in 2005.

The objectives for Wenger and Arsenal changed after the Invincibles. Little did they know about Abramovich's seismic influence followed by Abu Dhabi owners, those television deals, and the transformation of the Prem into its own super league—would flip the landscape of English football.

The plans for a new stadium was rolled during the time Wenger arrived. In 2000, it was concretized. Wenger didn't make mediocrity acceptable. The club's ill-timed stadium move did. That said, Arsenal's best ever period remains '96-'06. Arsenal have never dominated England like Liverpool in the 70s and 80s or ManU in the 90s and in the new millennium.

Those top-4 years, in hindsight, weren't mediocre years. Those were achievement years in the context of the club's predicament.

Wenger's best work at Arsenal remains '03 until '13. Apart from Leicester, no club has won the league title without significant financial domination since then. Including England's illustrious Liverpool—a club that underachieved for nearly three decades despite being one of the world's top clubs.

We need to go beyond simplistic takes and analyze the situation intelligently. It's something seriously lacking within Arsenal's fanbase.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:49 pm

Reiss wrote:
Highbury Hillbilly wrote:

Name these games where we conceded 20 shots.

I recall one vs. Watford that ended 2-2. That's preferable to hapless performances like 0-2 vs Brentford, where we struggled to string 2 passes together.

Emery's lowest point at this club is still Arteta's highest ever league finish.

https://dailycannon.com/2020/01/arsenal ... eded-stat/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... race-odds/

Again, name these games where we conceded 20+ shots.

LOL at your references:
From The S*n:

According to stats from @KeenosAFC on Twitter,

Straight to the trash can.

BBC football has detailed match results for any PL game, including shots + shots on target. Give me the name of the match and I'll find them myself.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football