The Video Referee Debate

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: The Video Referee Debate

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:58 pm

it happens in cricket and rugby too, the whole system is just too sensible for the FA i think
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Briggsy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Ok let me give you a scenario. Team shoots ball might of gone over the line. On video replay it shows it doesn't how would you restart the game. The one thing about football is it the same from Grass roots up, one man in the middle making the decisions, as I said i'm not a fan of it
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Said it before I'll say it again, I am against video refs 100%. If they want to put a chip in the ball that sets off a sensor when it crosses the line, thats fine, but if you open the Pandoras box with video refs it will bever end. Clubs will start demanding that everything from offsides to handballs are reviewed.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby BennisBergkamp » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:06 pm

TheOne2Smooth wrote:Ok let me give you a scenario. Team shoots ball might of gone over the line. On video replay it shows it doesn't how would you restart the game. The one thing about football is it the same from Grass roots up, one man in the middle making the decisions, as I said i'm not a fan of it

Why not just a goal kick? This is one of the stupidest reasons not to have video refs. "HOW WILL WE EVER RESTART THE GAME?" Um, with great ease.

Secondly, I think you need to make it for specific things. Penalty appeals and ball over goal line appeals should be reviewable, offsides should not, otherwise you'd have appeals constantly.

Give each team one appeal per half or something, stop the clock for the appeal, would only add max 3-4 minutes or so? It's ridiculous we're not giving the refs all the help they can get. Their jobs are hard enough as it is.
BennisBergkamp
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Libertine » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:44 pm

I watched the Rugby League final at the weekend.
The game was decided on a decision by the video referee that was quite clearly the wrong decision.
If refs aided by video technology can get decisiond wrong, aren't we better off without it?
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Waterfordgooner » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:10 pm

I do a bit of reffin myself and would be against a video ref for the big games as it would be expected by everyone - even on a Sunday morning.
If they ever did manage to put a chip inside the football - you acn be sure that some smartarse will hack in and F*@k it up, can you imagine Alex Ferguson going on if a goal was given against them in this situation :biggrin:
Waterfordgooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Popey » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Libertine wrote:I watched the Rugby League final at the weekend.
The game was decided on a decision by the video referee that was quite clearly the wrong decision.
If refs aided by video technology can get decisiond wrong, aren't we better off without it?

no.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby StLGooner » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:23 pm

Yes, it happens in the NFL, and MLB too. They still get calls wrong after watching it in slow motion 10 times. :dizzy:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Libertine » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:52 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
If refs aided by video technology can get decisions wrong, aren't we better off without it?

Yes, it happens in the NFL, and MLB too. They still get calls wrong after watching it in slow motion 10 times. :dizzy:

So if it's still all down to mistakes made by human error, what's the point of video refs?
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StLGooner » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:47 pm

Libertine wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
If refs aided by video technology can get decisions wrong, aren't we better off without it?

So if it's still all down to mistakes made by human error, what's the point of video refs?

I agree Libs. There is no point. Also, sometimes even after watching it in slow motion replay, some cameras just don't capture a definitive answer. It happened in an NFL game last night. The original call on the field was a touchdown, but after reviewing they said the player was down and it wasn't a touchdown, but from all the angles they showed on TV, you couldn't tell if that was the case, so the original call should've stood (according to NFL rules), but the refs got it wrong and changed it. The team ended up scoring on the next play so it didn't matter much, but you get the point.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Yorkyblue » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:34 pm

After watching the game that Libs is on about it does make you think it's pointless bringing it in. There was a decision a little earlier than that as well that the video ref got wrong. Gave a penalty but it was quite clearly a penalty try. Two huge wrong calls which probably cost St Helens the game.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby northerngooner83 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:09 am

TheOne2Smooth wrote:Ok let me give you a scenario. Team shoots ball might of gone over the line. On video replay it shows it doesn't how would you restart the game. The one thing about football is it the same from Grass roots up, one man in the middle making the decisions, as I said i'm not a fan of it

How about if the ball comes of the bar and lands on or over the line and the attacking team appeals, the 4th official could check the video replay (which can be seen instantly nowadays) while the match continues. If the ball did cross the line then the 4th official can alert the ref, if it didn't there was no break in play - how about that? The whole process would take about 30 seconds.

I agree it should only be for goal line decisions though, things like offside or fouls are more subjective and a camera wouldn't necessarily help the decision maker IMO
northerngooner83
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Fordy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:16 am

I wouldnt have a issue with it been used for goal line decisions but everything else im dead against.

With over the line things a computer can work it out in a second so thats not a issue but things like penaultys look at the rooney one against you lot the video ref would have ruled it was a penaulty but you lot would still have had a mass debate saying they was wrong so what would have been the point.
Fordy

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:25 am

Fordy wrote:I wouldnt have a issue with it been used for goal line decisions but everything else im dead against.

With over the line things a computer can work it out in a second so thats not a issue but things like penaultys look at the rooney one against you lot the video ref would have ruled it was a penaulty but you lot would still have had a mass debate saying they was wrong so what would have been the point.

I'm pretty sure that the 4th official wouldn't have given that as a pen because in slow mo you can clearly see Almunia pull his hands back and Rooney's leg go down before he makes any contact with Almunia.
When you see it from the 'behind the goal' angle it's an obvious dive.

Anyway I don't care if the ref gets it wrong occasionally even with the technology.
No-one said that the videos would remove 100% of all errors. As far as I'm concerned they'll still remove 80% of them and that's good enough for me.
It would still be much much better than it is now.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fordy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:32 am

well lucky for me you dont get to make the dessions and im quite confident there is no chance of it been used anytime soon.
Fordy

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football