Newcastle United

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Newcastle United

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:17 am

EliteKiller wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:I have heard that counterargument a few times, and I don't think it is the same.
Filling up your car or using electric is not a cultural experience - it's a necessity.
Buying oil from Saudi Arabia is not the same as letting them own a football club at all.

You talking about a govt transaction with oil - there is no opportunity to say no to Saudi oil - you can only say no to all oil, which, for most, is not an option.
With football we are supposed to have tests for owners but somehow a mass murderer has passed that test. We're not solving a societal issue or need here and the opportunity for the Saudi regime to leverage PR to gloss over their atrocities is very much afforded to them with this new deal, whilst selling their natural resources does not.

Let me put it another way.
Khashoggi was murdered by this man now in charge of Newcastle.
We could choose as a country not to buy Saudi oil as a response - but that will hurt the citizenry of this country significantly and likely bring about an economic collapse. The consideration for that is entirely different to allowing the ownership of a football club. One is weighing up a necessity and impact on our citizenry the other is rewarding a murderer vs carrying on as before with no issue.

But that's not really true .... Khashoggi was murdered by a government clandestine service because he was perceived as a threat to Saudi interests ... there is no justification for that but governments do it all the time

Just a month ago a UN Aid worker along with seven children was murdered by a government clandestine service because he was perceived as a threat to US interests ...

Whilst you may try and argue one was deliberate and one was accidental - premeditated murder is still premeditated murder even if you kill the wrong target.

The other point to consider is that it's completely false to suggest that a fan going to St James's Park to watch Newcastle is in anyway endorsing an intolerant regime in Saudi ... just as playing a video game using Saudi made electricity isn't endorsing an intolerant regime in Saudi either ... they are both free choices and doing or not doing either will not bring about the collapse of our economy.

To pretend that the EPL allowing a Newcastle takeover is the straw that breaks the camel's back on Saudi Arabia is very shaky ground, especially if it only impacts one set of fans .... will you be boycotting the EPL in protest, somehow I very much doubt it.

That USA argument came up before too.
The US govt doesn't own any football clubs here.
I would be against that too.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:19 pm

They're going to strengthen Utd by buying their trash.

Newcastle United will target four Manchester United players when the transfer window reopens in January with France striker Anthony Martial, 25, Netherlands midfielder Donny van de Beek, 24, 27-year-old Ivory Coast defender Eric Bailly and England attacker Jesse Lingard, 28, all said to be on their wishlist. (Mirror)
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:48 pm

The Premier League know too well that the saudis would have them in court for the next decade if they felt like it, and could bankrupt them if they wanted to.

Those sports journalists who are writing about how disgusting it is that this murderous regime are owning a football club in England should watch their backs. They might end up getting chopped up and buried somewhere. This despotic country is the poster boy of human rights atrocities.

And there's a lot of whataboutery going on as well. Whatabout using petrol and whatabout trainers made in Vietnam? You don't have to be a perfect citizen to express disgust at this. Just as you don't have to have a zero or negative carbon footprint to be very concerned about climate change. This is a black day for English football.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:51 pm

Phil71 wrote:The Premier League know too well that the saudis would have them in court for the next decade if they felt like it, and could bankrupt them if they wanted to.

Those sports journalists who are writing about how disgusting it is that this murderous regime are owning a football club in England should watch their backs. They might end up getting chopped up and buried somewhere. This despotic country is the poster boy of human rights atrocities.

And there's a lot of whataboutery going on as well. Whatabout using petrol and whatabout trainers made in Vietnam? You don't have to be a perfect citizen to express disgust at this. Just as you don't have to have a zero or negative carbon footprint to be very concerned about climate change. This is a black day for English football.

You mean like what happened to Epstien?

;)
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:07 am

Phil71 wrote:The Premier League know too well that the saudis would have them in court for the next decade if they felt like it, and could bankrupt them if they wanted to.

Western governments regularly allow Saudi citizens accused of crimes to be quietly flown back on a private jet. Shearer, one of England's all time greats is their ambassador.

Everyone who matters is too well paid to care. They will pump money into the town like City did and the government will take credit for attracting investment in the north.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LMAO » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:47 am

I mean, most of us are against the takeover tho

It's more there's little point in being selectively outraged. There's a documented history of me on here criticizing the KSA, but I'm not going to blow a gasket over them buying a football club when there's so many more important things in the world to be concerned about. I only have so many fucks to give, so I have to use them sparingly lol
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Goonerred » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:17 pm

Another nail in English football if you ask me. It's become a case of who has the most money as to who will win consistently. You get the odd anomalies like Leicester, but the top payers are always there or there abouts in all competitions. I personally am sick of it and it's putting me off football, a game I have loved since I was knee-high to a very small thing.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:18 pm

Goonerred wrote:Another nail in English football if you ask me. It's become a case of who has the most money as to who will win consistently. You get the odd anomalies like Leicester, but the top payers are always there or there abouts in all competitions. I personally am sick of it and it's putting me off football, a game I have loved since I was knee-high to a very small thing.

You either evolve and get with the times and current competition or you go extinct like the dinosaurs.

City did it, the classic top 4 (Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) have all got billionaire owners.

Why shouldn't Newcastle? fk that, fair is fair, money has always made a difference in football, all that's happened is we've now spread the money around to more clubs.

Real Madrid and Barcelona have held a monopoly in Spain for decades based on "Having more money" model, again, why not Newcastle?

Toon fans are fantastically loyal and have had 14 years of shite, so again, fair play to them.

Competition is an arms race, it may not be classy to just throw money at it but money is and always has been part of the game, you can't buy players with marbles.

Like I've been saying for ages, Arsenal just think they have a divine right to be top 4, we're seeing now that we don't, we earned it back in the day .......... now we've got complacent and lazy and that's a remnant of Arsene Wenger when he began to lose his edge.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:16 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Goonerred wrote:Another nail in English football if you ask me. It's become a case of who has the most money as to who will win consistently. You get the odd anomalies like Leicester, but the top payers are always there or there abouts in all competitions. I personally am sick of it and it's putting me off football, a game I have loved since I was knee-high to a very small thing.

You either evolve and get with the times and current competition or you go extinct like the dinosaurs.

City did it, the classic top 4 (Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) have all got billionaire owners.

Why shouldn't Newcastle? fk that, fair is fair, money has always made a difference in football, all that's happened is we've now spread the money around to more clubs.

Real Madrid and Barcelona have held a monopoly in Spain for decades based on "Having more money" model, again, why not Newcastle?

Toon fans are fantastically loyal and have had 14 years of shite, so again, fair play to them.

Competition is an arms race, it may not be classy to just throw money at it but money is and always has been part of the game, you can't buy players with marbles.

Like I've been saying for ages, Arsenal just think they have a divine right to be top 4, we're seeing now that we don't, we earned it back in the day .......... now we've got complacent and lazy and that's a remnant of Arsene Wenger when he began to lose his edge.

We have a right to a fair competition based on financial fair play.

Yes some clubs have always been able to generate more money than others through stadium revenue, sponsorship and so on. But Abrahamovic arriving at Chelsea was a different ball game altogether. That has been followed by Man City and now Newcastle. It’s cheating. Nothing less.

Personally I don’t recognise any of the trophies they’ve won during those years. Liverpool’s and Man Utd’s yes. Chelsea and Man City no. Fake plastic clubs.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:32 pm

Phil71 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

We have a right to a fair competition based on financial fair play.

Yes some clubs have always been able to generate more money than others through stadium revenue, sponsorship and so on. But Abrahamovic arriving at Chelsea was a different ball game altogether. That has been followed by Man City and now Newcastle. It’s cheating. Nothing less.

Personally I don’t recognise any of the trophies they’ve won during those years. Liverpool’s and Man Utd’s yes. Chelsea and Man City no. Fake plastic clubs.

Oh I agree.

The most natural way of competing should be of how big a club gets organically, but those days are over.

I didn't choose or endorse it, its just the way it is, so we have two options, we can cling on to the way football used to be while the ground shifts beneath our feet or we understand that we can either bring a knife to a gun fight or .......... we can survive and prosper by bringing a gun like our opposition have.

No point clinging on to how things used to be done, when those days are gone, we're tying up our shoe laces while the race has already started.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:14 pm

Apparently looking at Paulo Fonseca to replace Bruce.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:09 am

I'd laugh my bollocks off if they get relegated.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:29 am

Phil71 wrote:I'd laugh my bollocks off if they get relegated.

Well every time anyone plays Newcastle they are also playing for human rights.
Could be a good motivator.
Anyone really against racism and bigotry will be keen to beat them.

Seeing the Saudi regime relegated would be a good moment for the world.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby starmandb » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:23 pm

The premier league had dealings with bien sports
The World Cup is in Qatar
The genie is out the bottle
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Ach » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:53 pm

World cup has also been in USA and going back there soon probably.

So don't think football gives a shit about the goings on in a country
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football