West Brom (1) v Arsenal (3) - A ray of hope?

West Brom (1) v Arsenal (3) - A ray of hope?

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:28 pm

After a month that Arsenal fans would sooner forget, it was refreshing to the extreme to see a glimpse of the old Arsenal, with their crisp, one touch passing, and solid, uncompromising midfield.

It has been a month where statements such as this were few and far between, but somehow, from somewhere, our midfield found some cohesion, and the knock on effect saw the ball nestled in the West Brom net 3 times.

Of all the players mooted in recent matches, Nicklas Bendtner was the one who emerged from this encounter with all the plaudits, and deservedly so. His brace, well taken and emphatically put away, show that the lad is a confidence player, as he was spurred on to put in a superb performance, particularly in the second half, where he seemed to lead the line and get involved in everything. More of the same would be appreciated, and if he maintains his confidence, expected.

The third goal, sandwiched between Bendtner's belters, was textbook Toure, and sadly a swansong, as the defender did not emerge from the second half, alledgedly due to injury.

It could be argued that Arsenal faced lacklustre opposition today, West Brom a team who did not inspire coming forward. However, Arsenal have stuttered before against sub par opposition, so this was a game that had a special impact, if not for the 3 points, then certainly for the end of the goal drought, and the rediscovery of some of Arsenal's more admired footballing traits.

In fact, there were more positives still to come from this match.

Most noteably, Diaby, who had not been as consistent as people would have hoped in the past, looked imperious, tracking back and putting in Vieira-esque tackles, and surging forward like a steamroller with a supercharger to scupper the West Brom defence. Massively impressive, if he can maintain this kind of form, I think we may have found our partner for Cesc.

Arshavin continues to impress, and in his slow return to fitness, looks a threat whenever he touches the ball. A fit Andrei would no doubt have buried the ball in the net a few times over with the chances he crafted for himself tonight.

Song marshalled the back line with composure and assuredness way beyond his years, and I for one was hugely impressed with his performance. Almost a "coming of age" tonight, if that isn't laying it on too thick.

And finally, Almunia, who many people have lambasted, and accused of being "good, but not great", put in another superb performance tonight. Could not be faulted for the goal, and made a few smart saves, one, a jaw dropping finger tip push past the post, when a goal looked certain for the Midland outfit.

It was also nice to see Merida get a run out. He had a few interesting moments on the ball, and this can only have done his confidence good. Similarly, Ramsey had a decent half hour or so, aside from a panicked moment which saw Almunia come to his rescue. We can forgive him this, he is after all, only a nipper.

All in all, tonight's result shows what we can do, and what we have been missing these last few weeks. Based on this effort, I am a little more heartened in our chase for Champions League qualification. Maybe not totally convinced, but hey, it's a damn good starting point.
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: Arsenal v West Brom - A ray of hope?

Postby gzagee » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 pm

Nice report GES.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Arsenal (3) v West Brom (1) - A ray of hope?

Postby Git » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:25 am

Most excellent report, Armin.

A+
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby ayN » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:18 am

Nice report!
Wenger please go away
ayN
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Trina » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:07 am

Nice report GES. Added to the blog too :)
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby damo1583 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:33 am

Good work fella.........nice to report on something possitive!
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SE13 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:02 am

Good stuff, thanks for writing it. :)

Great to have three points to shout about!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby I Could Replace Bergkamp » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:45 am

Just under 10minutes worth of highlight for anyone who hasn't seen it

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=53454021
I Could Replace Bergkamp
Michael Thomas

Postby bergie4ever » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:31 am

West Brom are much too "naive" and weak to speak of a "ray of hope"...however the result of yesterday evening is a VERY good one for our confidence!! :biggrin: :frogwink:
bergie4ever
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:01 am

Nice work GES!
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:30 am

bergie4ever wrote:West Brom are much too "naive" and weak to speak of a "ray of hope"...however the result of yesterday evening is a VERY good one for our confidence!! :biggrin: :frogwink:

The teams we've played over the last month, and dropped points to have been, in the past, considered to be teams we should beat easily.
Under the circumstances, it's most definitely a ray of hope, since we've had nothing else to look at positively of late!

Cheers guys, it is indeed nice to be able to say something nice about the team for a change! :)
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby bergie4ever » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:52 am

Of course I agree... :frogwink: ;)
bergie4ever
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Good_Eye_Sniper » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:14 pm

I Could Replace Bergkamp wrote:Just under 10minutes worth of highlight for anyone who hasn't seen it

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=53454021

Good highlights, I just watched them again, and Bendtner easily gets MOTM in my book. Fantastic, confident performance.

I can't remember who said Eboue jumped over/moved his leg away from the ball for the West Brom goal, but that's rubbish, he didn't move at all, it was just an accurate free kick. Eboue actually had another very good game, and is looking like the player he once was.

Can't say enough about Diaby and Song though. They really showed what they are capable of last night. More of the same please!
Good_Eye_Sniper
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby I Could Replace Bergkamp » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:54 pm

I agree GES, last night Wenger put a lot of faith and a fair amount of pressure on Bendtner and he responsed excellently, shame he couldn't get his hat-trick!

In the last three games Wenger has mixed up the players/formation and we've had two good performances, when we get even 2 or 3 players back our attacking options are potentially excellent.
I Could Replace Bergkamp
Michael Thomas

Postby StLGooner » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Good work son!!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Match Reports 08/09