Hull City 1-3 Arsenal

Hull City 1-3 Arsenal

Postby SE13 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:55 pm

I suppose I could summarise and just say dire, because in truth for long stretches Arsenal were quite honestly awful. Usual thing with nobody wanting to take a shot on, and eventually when someone did, it was high, wide and frankly terrible. And again, playing the ball around with seemingly no aim, only to eventually lose it.

I was sat directly behind the goal, close to the back. Not a bad view, but one thing I did notice is that the KC Stadium isn't quite as big as it would appear on television. Hull's fans are loud enough, and always have something to sing about, well until they swarm out in their thousands near the end of the game!

The first half was really nothing to shout about. Despite what Hull manager Phil Brown might say, Arsenal certainly didn't have the rub of the green where decisions were made, indeed when Arsenal did win a free kick, it was greeted with ironic cheers. The free kick I refer to was brilliantly delivered by Robin Van Persie, and it wasn't until half time I realised that Myhill had turned the ball onto the bar, in truth a brilliant save. The resulting corner saw Adebayor sneak into the middle and power a header into an empty net. We went into the break with a somewhat lucky 1-0 lead after a really dour 45 minutes.

The second half was far more like it from Les Gunners. We started brightly enough, creating plenty to shout about, but lacking the final penetration. Hull did equalise, possibly against the run of play, although it was a goal that always looked like coming. Shocking defensively, and I was resigned to seeing the ball hit the back of the net long before it did. Clichy, who for me had a very poor game, was caught a mile out of position, and it was a free header powering past Almunia who stood little chance. From this point, Hull seemed a different team, and were full of ideas, passing and chances. Arsenal needed a spark, and it came in the form of Niklas Bendtner who replaced Eboue. The change was greeted with boos for Eboue and Bendtner.

But Bendtner did seem to assist the boost in Arsenal with a hungerness and passion so lacking from the team previously. It wouldn't be Arsenal unless things were done the difficult way, and today they left it late. Van Persie was to feed Samir Nasri whose control was simply sublime slotting the ball beyond the dive of the Hull keeper, and Bendtner rounded things off with a late strike after a lovely 1-2 with Van Persie. It could and should have been 4 late on when Bendtner hit the post with a free header when surely it was easier to score...?

Arsenal won the game 3-1, but there were a couple of talking points in the bar afterwards, one being the debatable penalty Hull were not awarded. I was at the opposite end of the ground, so can't really comment as I didn't see it properly, and haven't seen any footage, but I can assure you that every Hull fan was out of their seats demanding the decision. The second being our third goal where people are claiming RVP was offside when he initially received the ball from Bendtner. From where I was it looked fine, but again I haven't seen any footage so can't comment.

End of the day, Arsenal have partially buried that awful defeat at home to Hull earlier in the season and have ground out a result despite being under strengthed and poor for long stretches. Three pints in the bag, which given the other results today were badly needed.

Next stop, Cardiff in The FA Cup.....

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Hull City 1-3 Arsenal

Postby SE13 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:01 pm

There are some pictures, no many, and not very good, but I'll upload them tomorrow and put them up :)

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 am

Great report, hope you enjoyed your day.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:57 am

Nice work Chris.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby icelandicC.. » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:59 am

RvP was the player of the game from my point of view.
icelandicC..
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:55 am

Three pints in the bag....?
Are you talking about yourself or the game...? ;)
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:10 am

Ace :thumbsup:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby icelandicC.. » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:17 am

Inchpractice wrote:Three pints in the bag....?

the game.
Last edited by icelandicC.. on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
icelandicC..
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Fabby » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:48 am

RVP looked fantastic. What a player he is.
If It Feels Good, Do It.

Van Basten
Rivaldo------------- R.Gullit
Guardiola Effenberg
R.Carlos -----------------------J.Zanetti
Costacurta M.Sammer Bergomi
GK
Fabby
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby icelandicC.. » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:53 am

a great one. the best.
icelandicC..
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby arseman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:56 am

Are you sure we won....this was on the Guardians home page :?

arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby icelandicC.. » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:57 am

yeah we won, this is just some mistake.
icelandicC..
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby SE13 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:24 pm

Inchpractice wrote:Three pints in the bag....?

Typo! But oddly enough, I did have three pints before kick off!

And a couple afterwards......

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Melksham Gooner » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Hahaha bloody Guardian. I thought it wasn't too bad a game. Hull made it difficult for us at times, but the game really did show we were missing something, imo. I'm so happy van Persie is finding some form. I thought Nasri's was the best of our goals, but I'd have to say Cousin's was the best finish. It really was poor defending from Clichy and was very much a goal we should have avoided. We got out of jail yesterday, but it won't always happen.
~ Victoria Concordia Crescit ~

This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence.
Melksham Gooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby icelandicC.. » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:30 pm

we deserved the win, but as u said they made it a little difficult at times but we came back and got 3 deserved points.
icelandicC..
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Next

Return to Match Reports 08/09