Arsenal 1 - 0 Bolton Zzzzzzzzzz.....

Arsenal 1 - 0 Bolton Zzzzzzzzzz.....

Postby Gooner Girl » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:43 pm

My first Saturday 3pm Kick off watching The Arsenal for a while and I spent it in the delightful company of hubby, The Bish and The Bish’s daughter – in the away end…. Now I am not normally one for sitting in away ends, you can’t sing for your team, cheer them on, jump up and down when your team score and if the opposition score there are thousands of celebrating fans around you. It just feels wrong. However, was there any chance on 2 red memberships I would get 4 tickets in the Arsenal end for a Saturday 3pm kick off – even if it was against Bolton? No! So I took up The Bish’s kind offer and found myself with a bunch of northeners, flat caps and all! Taking my seat, I declined The Bishs kind offer to take a bet on the Arsenal Vs Bolton glove count and his suggestion that as I was in the Bolton end and they were all so hard up north I might like to go topless like the Newcastle fans do…

Apparently, Bolton haven’t won against us at home in 47 years and from the start it didn’t look like they would do so this time. Their squad (smallest in the premiership) was very badly depleted – they didn’t even have a full bench (I have a degree of sympathy, but really, this is not Under 9 park football – this is top flight English football so there are no excuses for not having a full squad – buy some more players Megson!) They had no Stelios – the tiny dwarf who always used to score against us or Ivan Campo – crazy haired player, turning circle of an oil tanker but also always used to play well against us. Both Long gone. Nolan, Steinsson and Cahill were all out injured or suspended and so I suppose it was predictable that right from the word go they packed players behind the ball – leaving Elmander alone up front. Arsenal played their typical style of football that we have seen from them so often this season. Fanny about, passing the ball around the edge of the box until finally the opposition intercept - and in Bolton’s case boot it right back to an Arsenal defender.. And we start again…

Do I blame Bolton for playing that way? Not one bit. This season the likes of Bolton, Hull, Fulham etc etc have more and more cottoned on that the way to play against Arsenal is just to restrict our shots on goal and to fall back deep. Bolton actually worked this out under Allerdyce long before most teams did. When we play the big guns such as Manchester United, Chelsea etc – they let us play our fancy football and they try to beat us at our own game – and we technically are better then any other premier league team at ‘playing the beautiful game’. However Wenger is naïve if he thinks teams are really going to sit back and let us play good football and stuff them 5-0 when they can get stuck in, stifle us and hold us to a tedious 0-0 draw or score on the break and beat us. Teams are realizing that this season, and it’s about time Wenger reeled out Plan B rather then whining on about it.

The first half then was mostly Arsenal pressure but few actual break throughs. Van Persie looked lively and had a couple of efforts that went over the cross bar – Perhaps Jaaskelainens day glo green shirt was putting him off?! Perhaps it was putting off the Arsenal fans behind goal from singing because we were very quiet most of the match (though friends assure me the red action section were doing their best) Another quiet person was Adebayor who was almost invisible through most of the match – only really having one good chance in the 2nd half which a combination of hesitation and good defending from O’Brien took away from him.

Half time - 0-0. Fortified with some lovely warming tomato soup from the Bish (i knew there were some good points to sitting in the away end) and nudging awake my by now sleeping husband (combination of the cold and a very boring first half?) I wondered whether to expect more of the same in the next 45. Bolton had lost Elmander during the first half to injury and Riga was on, looking bright and playing well to the extent that Bolton actually got the ball past the half way line a couple of times at the start of the second half. Matty Taylor having a decent chance saved well by Almunia before Arsenal started to dominate again.

With about 20 minutes to go, Van Persie, so unluckily, had a great shot hit the post and Toure – our 7th captain of the season, also had a long range effort pushed away by Jussi. You began to wonder if this would be our day. Then came another substitution - Eboue off – Bendtner on, and immediately things perked up. With his first touch he headed goalwards only to see it saved, then he had another shot before with his 3rd sliding in to stab home a delightful Van Persie cross and score the games only goal.

Its been said, and I am sure is true that we have scored more goals in the last 10 minutes of games then any other team this season. We certainly left it late on Saturday. 3 points is all well and good but I would be lying if I said I had been left pleased and encouraged by our performance – I saw more promising football played by my U11 school girl’s football team last week quite frankly.

As for some of the games other talking issues – Bendtner? Love him or hate him? I have never really fallen into either camp particuarly but he was JUST what the Arsenal team needed on Saturday and I hope Wenger keeps hold of him.

Diving Arsenal fancy dans? Dirty northern Bas*ar*ds? Other then one display of gymnastics incorporating 5 forward rolls that could yet see Clichy make the French Gymnastics team for London 2012 I don’t think the Arsenal players were particularly Ronaldo-like in their reactions to fouls, yet neither did I see any particularly shocking (by Bolton standards at least ;) ) tackles from the boys in white.

So to sum up - 3 points, somewhat luckily. Good games for Bentdner and Van Persie. Bolton perhaps unlucky not to hang onto a draw – not because they actually showed any gumption going forward but they defended well all game despite us playing well below par. I suppose its reassuring that we can play badly and win – that hasn’t happened often this season but this match will never go down as a classic…
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: Arsenal 1 - 0 Bolton Zzzzzzzzzz.....

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:19 pm

Excellent!!!! Nice work GG.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fordy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:20 pm

Good first report well done
Fordy

Postby gzagee » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:21 pm

Feck about! Great first effort, mate. :clap:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:40 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: Quality report.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby Gooner Girl » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:42 pm

Thanks for the encouragement boys! Glad it was ok :)
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby thebish » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:37 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Their squad (smallest in the premiership) was very badly depleted – they didn’t even have a full bench (I have a degree of sympathy, but really, this is not Under 9 park football – this is top flight English football so there are no excuses for not having a full squad – buy some more players Megson!)

when you have travelled the length of the country and half ur team drops dead on the bus or gets injured during the warm up - then we don't have a Bolton private jet/helicopter to whisk new players down in time for kick-off.......... shoddy I know - but that's how life is outside the Fergy-Rafa-Wenger-Scolari club... ;)

anyway - who needs 7 subs!! is a stupid rule designed for posh and rich clubs with massive squads!

anyway - as I said in the comment bit of the main page - nice debut GG - poor form with the not joining in topless though.... my moobs had a good airing... :shock:
thebish

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:47 pm

Great stuff GG

TheBish wrote:anyway - who needs 7 subs!! is a stupid rule designed for posh and rich clubs with massive squads!

I agree i hate it too, i wish it was 5. Arsenal players usually play in many positions so we were ok with 5, i used to love it when the scum got screwed by injury or sending off and had to play O'Shea at right wing or Hargreaves in defence, that kind of thing. Now that will never happen with any of the top clubs.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby thebish » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:Apparently, Bolton haven’t won against us at home in 47 years

that's (frankly) Bollox!!!!!

I know you're too young to remember hun - but here's the legendary Dave (Ding Dang Do) Higson (RIP) to introduce one that I certainly remember! (February 1994)

ahhh - them were t'days!

(you're right if you mean League games! ;) - that would be even before I was born in 1961/62)
thebish

Postby Libertine » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:42 pm

thebish wrote:anyway - who needs 7 subs!! is a stupid rule designed for posh and rich clubs with massive squads!

I'd change it back to only 1 sub.

Nice report GG. :arse flag.gif:
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:10 pm

I just thought.... People can't read what I said to you on PM!

So for the benefit of everyone, thanks for doing that, a cracking report especially for your first one here. And the first of many we hope. :clap: :clap:

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Gooner Girl » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:57 pm

:) Am happy to do some more if needed!
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby thebish » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:07 pm

SE13 wrote:I just thought.... People can't read what I said to you on PM!

now you've got us all intrigued!! ;)
thebish

Postby Cheese » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Nice report GG. Sorry i've only just got round to reading it.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Return to Match Reports 08/09