Arsenal 0-0 Fenerbahce

Arsenal 0-0 Fenerbahce

Postby SE13 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:29 pm

After mauling Fener over in Turkey a fortnight beforehand, most were expecting a rout at Ashburton Grove, however this proved not to be.

Arsenal made a number of changes from the Stoke game with Gallas, Walcott, Adebayor and Eboue all injured. To make matters worse, Manuel Almunia suffered from sickness and had to be dropped as well. Arsenal lined up with: Fabianski, Djourou, Clichy, Toure, Silvestre, Nasri, Denilson, Fabregas, Ramsey, Bendtner and Van Persie.

Arsenal fairly much dominated the game, although Fenerbahce had their moments. For the first half, it was chance after chance for Arsenal, with Robin Van Persie guilty of missing the majority of efforts, while also hammering the crossbar. Half time and 0-0.

Whatever Wenger said during the break failed to produce goals, although the chances kept coming. Ramsey and Bendtner were replaced on the hour by Diaby and Vela, again without success. Arsenal were searching for the elusive goal, Fener were quick on the break. A far more organised Arsenal back four were mopping up the danger with relative ease, while the front pairing were firing blanks. To further compound the injury problems, Mikael Silvestre was forced to be replaced after suffering a broken nose in an incident completely missed by the three people who matter, the officials.

So a goalless draw at home, Kiev next up in the group, and a win should send The Gunners through to the knock out stages. Arsenal sit top with eight points having failed to score for the first time in the group stages of this years competition.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Return to Match Reports 08/09