Blackburn 0-4 Arsenal

Blackburn 0-4 Arsenal

Postby SE13 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:36 am

A trip to Ewood Park is never going to look good on paper, and is rarely a classic. Any game against a Mark Hughes based side is always going to be tough, and with an Arsenal injury list including the like of Samir Nasri, Diaby, new boy Silvestre and long term injuries to Eduardo and Rosicky this was going to be a tough match.

After his midweek exploits for England, Theo Walcott lined up to start the game having scored his first International hattrick only days earlier, however this time it was to be Emmanuel Adebayor who would grab all the headlines.

Theo Walcott was the creator of the first Arsenal goal with a jinking delightful run, finding the trusted left boot of Robin Van Persie who slotted past Paul Robinson to open the scoring after just 8 minutes. The scoreline might suggest a rout, but Blackburn did have their moments in the first half, exposing a decidedly wobbly Arsenal defence. The Gunners held firm, perhaps more to poor finishing rather than great defending, but clean sheets are what potential Champions are all about. Arsenal would hold the lead through until seconds before the break when Denilson lofted a delightful cross over to an onrushing Adebayor who happily headed home his first of the season. The Adebayor party had started, and he was to become centre stage.

The Gunners blasted off the blocks after the break, and frankly, Rovers were never at the races. Chances came and went, leaving the scoreline looking somewhat flattering for Blackburn. Walcott was replaced to thunderous applause from the travelling supporters by Song, and still The Gunners pressed. Eboue charged through, and appeared to be tripped, although on closer inspection and with the benefit of replays, he was perhaps a touch lucky to be awarded the penalty, which was duly dispatched by Adebayor.

Cue the introduction of young Aaron Ramsey and a new record for Jack Wilshere who becomes the youngest player to feature in the Arsenal first team at just 16 years and 256 days young. In the final minute, a touch of trickery from Ramsey and a pin point pass set Adebayor free. He rounded the keeper and slotted home his third of the afternoon and his 50th for Arsenal.

Job done in some style, and the three points safely in the bag leaving Arsenal in third, a point behind Chelsea and Liverpool.

Arsenal: Almunia, Sagna, Gallas, Toure, Clichy, Eboue (Ramsey 79), Walcott (Song 63), Denilson, Fabregas, Adebayor, Van Persie (Wilshere 81)

Goals: Robin Van Persie (8)
Adebayor (45)
Adebayor (Pen 78)
Adebayor (90)

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Blackburn 0-4 Arsenal

Postby kuwaitster » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:56 am

well i dont see wht there is to worry about, i mean, no offense to the other teams in our group ( maybe a little ) but they are no match for us ! Rosicky and Nasri are out yea so it seems, but a team doesn't depend on them, we have subs. good enuff to beat the other team, remember that 7-0 win last season @ home ? our forwards were bendtner and walcott, not the usual ade and rvp. so, no worries ;]
kuwaitster
Michael Thomas

Postby nischit4 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:38 am

dont you mean a paul ince side?
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."— George W. Bush
nischit4
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Cheese » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:32 am

nischit4 wrote:dont you mean a paul ince side?

It said "Mark Hughes based club" meaning that the team we played was the one Hughes left behind and that Paul Ince hasn't really had time to stamp his own name on the team yet.
Nice report Chris. :clap:
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:46 am

Says MArk Hughes based, ie Ince has't changed too much.

Cheers for the review mate, haven't seen anything so far....eed to see goals on sunday.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby nischit4 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:40 am

Ades_Dancin_Shoes wrote:

Says MArk Hughes based, ie Ince has't changed too much.

Cheers for the review mate, haven't seen anything so far....eed to see goals on sunday.

my apologies! :crybaby: Good review although I think it is worth mentioning that we were quite good defensively in the second half. Either that or blackburn gave up.
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."— George W. Bush
nischit4
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby rvtheace » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:06 am

Nice report man!

I thought Ade would need to face the Spuds to recover his scoring touch, but I guess the very sight of Paul Robinson was enough.
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby nischit4 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:02 pm

Doesnt this mean we're top scorers in the league? Anyone else think cesc not at his best yet? Its good we're playing well without him at his best. I guess nasri, ramsey, denilson n walcott are helping out at the offensive end to offset cesc.
nischit4
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:10 pm

rvtheace wrote:Nice report man!

I thought Ade would need to face the Spuds to recover his scoring touch, but I guess the very sight of Paul Robinson was enough.

Yeah Robinson is very much accustomed to picking Arsenal goals out of his net. :rofll:

nischit4 wrote:Doesnt this mean we're top scorers in the league? Anyone else think cesc not at his best yet? Its good we're playing well without him at his best. I guess nasri, ramsey, denilson n walcott are helping out at the offensive end to offset cesc.

I don't know if he's not at his best yet.
Hard to say whether he's still tired from the Euros or if it's just that Denilson is impairing his attacking game.
Flamini always held back a bit to allow Cesc to go forward but Denilson is drifting all the way into the box which means Cesc has to stay back and hold the fort.
Like I said before, Denilson has attacking instincts and is more comfortable as an AM which is why Song may turn out to be the better partner for Cesc in the long run.

Ultimately though, it doesn't really matter if Denilson gets forward as long as he scores or assists and he's done both in the last two games.
I don't care if Cesc or Denilson scores as long as one of them does.

Nice report by the way...
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:39 pm

Good stuff, really suprised at the result yesterday, really pleasing arsenal, lets see if we can do that at Bolton.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gzagee » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:10 pm

Nicely written sir :clap:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby rvtheace » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:38 pm

nischit4 wrote:Doesnt this mean we're top scorers in the league? Anyone else think cesc not at his best yet? Its good we're playing well without him at his best. I guess nasri, ramsey, denilson n walcott are helping out at the offensive end to offset cesc.

I guess that's partially the result of not having a proper defensive midfielder. I'd actually prefer we start with Song instead of Denilson.
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Return to Match Reports 08/09