Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Postby rvtheace » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:24 am

Sadly, Tottenham's defeat to Sunderland is the only consolation Gunners fans can take after a dismal performance at Fulham. In their first away match of the season, Arsenal continued their spluttering start to the seaon with a defeat.

With a huge midfield contingent at the treatment table, Arsenal started the match with Denilson and Eboue in midfield. Robin van Persie and Kolo Toure were restored to starting positions. The match was played at a flat pace from the kickoff, with neither side producing anything spectacular. Arsenal dominated possession, but found it hard to get past a midfield expertly marshaled by Danny Murphy. Most of their attacks were launched down the flanks through Clichy and Sagna. Nasri caught the eye on several occasions by spinning and speeding past defenders on the left wing - he looks like a quality addition to the squad.

Ade managed to rattle a post with a header while RvP missed a golden opportunity after some good work by Walcott and Nasri. We were made to pay for our misses by Fulham's towering Hangeland when he powered past Gallas to get on the end of a Bullard corner.

The second half brought no improvement, and Denilson went from bad to worse, passing the ball almost exclusively to Fulham players. Bizarrely, he was not replaced throughout the entire match. It's hard to imagine that Ramsey or Wilshere could have done worse. Thankfully, Cesc should be back for the next match, and we can look forward to a very different Arsenal then.

The fault was not all Denilson's though. RvP produced some shocking free kicks from dangerous positions, and Theo had another ineffectual performance. On the bright side, Eboue did what he could by making some useful charges towards the end and Song had a great cameo, showing both good defense and spraying some accurate passes.

It is almost a certainty now that someone new will be joining Arsenal's midfield before the close of the transfer window, and it just remains to be seen who this long awaiting signing is. We need have no doubts that this WILL be our worst game of the season. Once we take care of Twente, Newcastle should get a taste of the real Arsenal. I hope.
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Re: Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Postby SE13 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:30 am

Excellent stuff. Just a shame that there are no real positives to take from the game.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby arseman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:42 am

Nice report

We could still be ahead of Manure if they fail to beat Pompey, so that could be another positive....
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Git » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:54 am

Nicely done mate.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:28 pm

Nice report mate, shame about the performance.

Although the performance was unnacceptable i would add that Fulham away is not an easy game. They have beaten the top 4 teams at home at least 4 or 5 times in the last few seasons, they are like Boro and know how to do it at home.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal_4_Life » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:15 pm

absaloutely shocking, im so disapointed. not really sure why eboue was put in to centre mid but to be fair he probaby did a bit better than denilson. i thought nasri played quite well, probably our best player, other than adebayors header he was pretty poor, along with van persie. all in all a very upsetting day. except for the spurs game which made me smile.
Arsenal_4_Life
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:22 pm

Nasri and Sagna were our best players on the day, and when Song came on he totally changed the game for us, i don't know why Eboue or Denilson wern't hauled off at half time for him to come on, maybe because AW is using him in defence now :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No positives to take really, Fulham were superb and up for it, they made some superb coups in the summer and any more performances like that and they won't be going down anytime soon.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Cheese » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:29 pm

Good stuff mate..couldn't bring myself to read the papers this morning but yours was good.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby sithlordwebb72 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:05 pm

gunngunn wrote:Nasri and Sagna were our best players on the day, and when Song came on he totally changed the game for us, i don't know why Eboue or Denilson wern't hauled off at half time for him to come on, maybe because AW is using him in defence now :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No positives to take really, Fulham were superb and up for it, they made some superb coups in the summer and any more performances like that and they won't be going down anytime soon.

i agree great report but i would dispute Fulham were superb. they were simply less dreadful than us. haha.

LOVE ARSENAL? HATE USMANOV!
sithlordwebb72
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby dialsquare » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:52 am

Reverend Gooner wrote:Nice report mate, shame about the performance.

Although the performance was unnacceptable i would add that Fulham away is not an easy game. They have beaten the top 4 teams at home at least 4 or 5 times in the last few seasons, they are like Boro and know how to do it at home.

They said on the box that they had only beaten a gib four team once in the last thirteen.

How Denilson stayed on the pitch is beyond me. Whats the point in playing walcott then having a centre midfield that is incapable of finding him. So he gets taken off!?!?!
dialsquare
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:45 pm

dialsquare wrote:

They said on the box that they had only beaten a gib four team once in the last thirteen.

How Denilson stayed on the pitch is beyond me. Whats the point in playing walcott then having a centre midfield that is incapable of finding him. So he gets taken off!?!?!

Yes but i imagine 8 of those were last season.

I distinctly remember them beating Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool at least twice and us too in the last 5 or so years. I also remember some draws in that time too (at home that is). They are tough to beat at home (apart from last season).
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby arsenal till i die » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:03 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:
dialsquare wrote:

Yes but i imagine 8 of those were last season.

I distinctly remember them beating Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool at least twice and us too in the last 5 or so years. I also remember some draws in that time too (at home that is). They are tough to beat at home (apart from last season).

Yes but our team is 2 times better than Fulham unlike Chelski, Man U & Lpool's teams when they lost to Fulham & in that case we don't have an excuse! :doh:

Definition_Of_A_True_Gunner:D
Siggy & ava By Me!
arsenal till i die
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Return to Match Reports 08/09