Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Postby rvtheace » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:24 am

Sadly, Tottenham's defeat to Sunderland is the only consolation Gunners fans can take after a dismal performance at Fulham. In their first away match of the season, Arsenal continued their spluttering start to the seaon with a defeat.

With a huge midfield contingent at the treatment table, Arsenal started the match with Denilson and Eboue in midfield. Robin van Persie and Kolo Toure were restored to starting positions. The match was played at a flat pace from the kickoff, with neither side producing anything spectacular. Arsenal dominated possession, but found it hard to get past a midfield expertly marshaled by Danny Murphy. Most of their attacks were launched down the flanks through Clichy and Sagna. Nasri caught the eye on several occasions by spinning and speeding past defenders on the left wing - he looks like a quality addition to the squad.

Ade managed to rattle a post with a header while RvP missed a golden opportunity after some good work by Walcott and Nasri. We were made to pay for our misses by Fulham's towering Hangeland when he powered past Gallas to get on the end of a Bullard corner.

The second half brought no improvement, and Denilson went from bad to worse, passing the ball almost exclusively to Fulham players. Bizarrely, he was not replaced throughout the entire match. It's hard to imagine that Ramsey or Wilshere could have done worse. Thankfully, Cesc should be back for the next match, and we can look forward to a very different Arsenal then.

The fault was not all Denilson's though. RvP produced some shocking free kicks from dangerous positions, and Theo had another ineffectual performance. On the bright side, Eboue did what he could by making some useful charges towards the end and Song had a great cameo, showing both good defense and spraying some accurate passes.

It is almost a certainty now that someone new will be joining Arsenal's midfield before the close of the transfer window, and it just remains to be seen who this long awaiting signing is. We need have no doubts that this WILL be our worst game of the season. Once we take care of Twente, Newcastle should get a taste of the real Arsenal. I hope.
Image
User avatar
rvtheace
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2735
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:43 pm

Re: Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Postby SE13 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:30 am

Excellent stuff. Just a shame that there are no real positives to take from the game.
Image

Image

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
User avatar
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace
 
Posts: 38139
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:12 am
Location: Lincoln

Re: Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Postby arseman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:42 am

Nice report

We could still be ahead of Manure if they fail to beat Pompey, so that could be another positive....
User avatar
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6325
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:36 am

Re: Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Postby Git » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:54 am

Nicely done mate.
MML
User avatar
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 11825
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:55 am
Location: West Sussex, UK

Re: Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:28 pm

Nice report mate, shame about the performance.

Although the performance was unnacceptable i would add that Fulham away is not an easy game. They have beaten the top 4 teams at home at least 4 or 5 times in the last few seasons, they are like Boro and know how to do it at home.
User avatar
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 14136
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: London

Re: Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Postby Arsenal_4_Life » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:15 pm

absaloutely shocking, im so disapointed. not really sure why eboue was put in to centre mid but to be fair he probaby did a bit better than denilson. i thought nasri played quite well, probably our best player, other than adebayors header he was pretty poor, along with van persie. all in all a very upsetting day. except for the spurs game which made me smile.
Arsenal_4_Life
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:57 pm

Re: Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:22 pm

Nasri and Sagna were our best players on the day, and when Song came on he totally changed the game for us, i don't know why Eboue or Denilson wern't hauled off at half time for him to come on, maybe because AW is using him in defence now :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No positives to take really, Fulham were superb and up for it, they made some superb coups in the summer and any more performances like that and they won't be going down anytime soon.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
User avatar
GunnGunn
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 18994
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: London

Re: Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Postby Cheese » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:29 pm

Good stuff mate..couldn't bring myself to read the papers this morning but yours was good.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 15075
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Postby sithlordwebb72 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:05 pm

gunngunn wrote:Nasri and Sagna were our best players on the day, and when Song came on he totally changed the game for us, i don't know why Eboue or Denilson wern't hauled off at half time for him to come on, maybe because AW is using him in defence now :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No positives to take really, Fulham were superb and up for it, they made some superb coups in the summer and any more performances like that and they won't be going down anytime soon.


i agree great report but i would dispute Fulham were superb. they were simply less dreadful than us. haha.
Image

LOVE ARSENAL? HATE USMANOV!
User avatar
sithlordwebb72
Ian Wright
Ian Wright
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:36 pm

Re: Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Postby dialsquare » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:52 am

Reverend Gooner wrote:Nice report mate, shame about the performance.

Although the performance was unnacceptable i would add that Fulham away is not an easy game. They have beaten the top 4 teams at home at least 4 or 5 times in the last few seasons, they are like Boro and know how to do it at home.



They said on the box that they had only beaten a gib four team once in the last thirteen.

How Denilson stayed on the pitch is beyond me. Whats the point in playing walcott then having a centre midfield that is incapable of finding him. So he gets taken off!?!?!
dialsquare
Charlie George
Charlie George
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Thame, Oxon

Re: Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:45 pm

dialsquare wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:Nice report mate, shame about the performance.

Although the performance was unnacceptable i would add that Fulham away is not an easy game. They have beaten the top 4 teams at home at least 4 or 5 times in the last few seasons, they are like Boro and know how to do it at home.



They said on the box that they had only beaten a gib four team once in the last thirteen.

How Denilson stayed on the pitch is beyond me. Whats the point in playing walcott then having a centre midfield that is incapable of finding him. So he gets taken off!?!?!


Yes but i imagine 8 of those were last season.

I distinctly remember them beating Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool at least twice and us too in the last 5 or so years. I also remember some draws in that time too (at home that is). They are tough to beat at home (apart from last season).
User avatar
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 14136
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: London

Re: Fulham 1 - 0 Arsenal: At Least the Spuds Lost…

Postby arsenal till i die » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:03 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:
dialsquare wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:Nice report mate, shame about the performance.

Although the performance was unnacceptable i would add that Fulham away is not an easy game. They have beaten the top 4 teams at home at least 4 or 5 times in the last few seasons, they are like Boro and know how to do it at home.



They said on the box that they had only beaten a gib four team once in the last thirteen.

How Denilson stayed on the pitch is beyond me. Whats the point in playing walcott then having a centre midfield that is incapable of finding him. So he gets taken off!?!?!


Yes but i imagine 8 of those were last season.

I distinctly remember them beating Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool at least twice and us too in the last 5 or so years. I also remember some draws in that time too (at home that is). They are tough to beat at home (apart from last season).


Yes but our team is 2 times better than Fulham unlike Chelski, Man U & Lpool's teams when they lost to Fulham & in that case we don't have an excuse! :doh:
Image

Definition_Of_A_True_Gunner:D
Siggy & ava By Me!
User avatar
arsenal till i die
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:50 am


Return to Match Reports 08/09

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest